Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

Mike S

Actually Disney now "owns" the film rights to Spiderman but they are "leasing" them to Sony, who producing the stand alone Spiderman films, and as part of that deal/exchange Sony got exclusives to Star Wars video game content on their Play Station video game system. That's why you currently can only get Star Wars Battle front on Playstation and the Infinity Star Wars had Boba Fete as an exclusive for the first six months or something to that effect

But in August of this year, 2016, Disney is allowing their Distribution Rights to DreamWorks Films expire, the upcoming Disney/Spielberg/Dreamworks film "BFG" (aka Big Friendly Giant) is the final Dreamworks Film Disney will be handling as part of that contract, and though it hasn't been officially announced Universal will probably inherit the Dreamworks film rights in an exchange for the Marvel Theme Park rights in Orlando... will have to wait and see a few more months
Seems legit. I would so rather have the rights to Dreamworks films than the rights to use Marvel in my parks while someone else does all the work of making the movies that basically advertise my attractions to the general public going to Orlando. Yup.

Phil12

I don't think they'd ever try to kill Spider-Man; Spider-Man moves a ton of merch, and the cartoon (Disney has the TV rights again) is fairly well regarded. By comparison, no one has really given a crap about the Fantastic Four for about 20 years, at least.
That's because Spider-Man was a student of the great Billy Mays:

BernardandBianca

But in August of this year, 2016, Disney is allowing their Distribution Rights to DreamWorks Films expire, the upcoming Disney/Spielberg/Dreamworks film "BFG" (aka Big Friendly Giant) is the final Dreamworks Film Disney will be handling as part of that contract, and though it hasn't been officially announced Universal will probably inherit the Dreamworks film rights in an exchange for the Marvel Theme Park rights in Orlando... will have to wait and see a few more months

I'm confused by the bolded comment you made. If Disney is allowing their rights to distribute DreamWorks films expire, then what is Universal getting for giving up Marvel Theme Park rights? Once the film rights expire, then anyone is free to step in and contract for them, so why would Universal have to give up something (other than money to DreamWorks) to obtain these rights?

tl77

X-Men aren't coming back any time soon. In fact, the comics are already planning some event (called "Death of X") that'll kill most of the mutants off or dump them into their own universe independent from the rest of Marvel. That's why they've been shilling Inhumans so hard, that's their X-Men replacement.

You know this next X-men movie is called "Apocalypse" right? and the tag line is "Only the Strong Will Survive" ...so there's going to be some X-men getting killed off in this movie too. In part because the a lot of actor's contracts end with this film, but there are also 2 casts of people playing each X-man and they are going to have to consolidate it down to 1 cast. The unknown is who will survive, will it be this James McAvoy/Michael Fassbender cast? or the original Patrick Stewart/Ian McKellen cast who are in the next Wolverine solo film? or will they completely start over with all new people?

But the X-men aren't competing with the Avengers or the MCU, they're all going to be competing with Batman v Superman + Wonder Woman and the Suicide Squad. With all that DC stuff looming in the distance Marvel need to get all their people on the same page cinematically, so Disney can get them all together in their parks, because that's how it works in the 21st century... Movie Franchise feed into, Theme Park Land, which feeds into Merchandising

WDWLover#1

You know this next X-men movie is called "Apocalypse" right? and the tag line is "Only the Strong Will Survive" ...so there's going to be some X-men getting killed off in this movie too. In part because the a lot of actor's contracts end with this film, but there are also 2 casts of people playing each X-man and they are going to have to consolidate it down to 1 cast. The unknown is who will survive, will it be this James McAvoy/Michael Fassbender cast? or the original Patrick Stewart/Ian McKellen cast who are in the next Wolverine solo film? or will they completely start over with all new people?

But the X-men aren't competing with the Avengers or the MCU, they're all going to be competing with Batman v Superman + Wonder Woman and the Suicide Squad. With all that DC stuff looming in the distance Marvel need to get all their people on the same page cinematically, so Disney can get them all together in their parks, because that's how it works in the 21st century... Movie Franchise feed into, Theme Park Land, which feeds into Merchandising
I don't get why MCU has to do that - many would argue DC need to get a grip on what story direction they want to take

Thessair

Actually Disney now "owns" the film rights to Spiderman but they are "leasing" them to Sony, who producing the stand alone Spiderman films, and as part of that deal/exchange Sony got exclusives to Star Wars video game content on their Play Station video game system. That's why you currently can only get Star Wars Battle front on Playstation and the Infinity Star Wars had Boba Fete as an exclusive for the first six months or something to that effect

Interesting. I hadn't heard these specifics on the deal. Got more information or a source on this? I'd like to read on the nuts and bolts of it.

tl77

I'm confused by the bolded comment you made. If Disney is allowing their rights to distribute DreamWorks films expire, then what is Universal getting for giving up Marvel Theme Park rights? Once the film rights expire, then anyone is free to step in and contract for them, so why would Universal have to give up something (other than money to DreamWorks) to obtain these rights?

Well first off, Disney doesn't "have to" let them expire, they are simply allowing them to, so you have to wonder why that is? but Universal is the most likely studio to acquire them because DreamWorks is basically Steven Spielberg's studio/production company, and he has some say as to who he want to do business with. Most of his "cinematic legacy" so to speak, Jaws, E.T., Jurassic Park, has been with Universal. But Spielberg also has ties to Disney with Indiana Jones, Roger Rabbit to some degree, and though his relationship Kathleen Kennedy, Spielberg got J.J Abrams the Star Wars directing job. So Spielberg is maybe the peacemaker in this situation between Disney and Universal, but neither one is going to give up something for nothing

FrankLapidus

Is this guesswork/an assumption or can it be verified? Any sources?

FrankLapidus

Well first off, Disney doesn't "have to" let them expire, they are simply allowing them to, so you have to wonder why that is? but Universal is the most likely studio to acquire them because DreamWorks is basically Steven Spielberg's studio/production company, and he has some say as to who he want to do business with. Most of his "cinematic legacy" so to speak, Jaws, E.T., Jurassic Park, has been with Universal. But Spielberg also has ties to Disney with Indiana Jones, Roger Rabbit to some degree, and though his relationship Kathleen Kennedy, Spielberg got J.J Abrams the Star Wars directing job. So Spielberg is maybe the peacemaker in this situation between Disney and Universal, but neither one is going to give up something for nothing

Did he? First I've heard of that, Abrams was on the shortlist pretty much from the get-go but I've never heard or read anywhere that he got the job because Spielberg lobbied for it. Was this before or after Abrams first turned Lucasfilm down?

tl77

I don't get why MCU has to do that - many would argue DC need to get a grip on what story direction they want to take

Well many can argue anything they want, and appearntly that's what the internet is for;)

I personally have zero interest in arguing with strangers on the internet , my interest is what is going to happen at the Hollywood Studios in the next 8 to 9months and should book a trip this fall or next spring?

lazyboy97o

Seems legit. I would so rather have the rights to Dreamworks films than the rights to use Marvel in my parks while someone else does all the work of making the movies that basically advertise my attractions to the general public going to Orlando. Yup.

Interesting. I hadn't heard these specifics on the deal. Got more information or a source on this? I'd like to read on the nuts and bolts of it.
Is this guesswork/an assumption or can it be verified? Any sources?
None of it is true. And what DreamWorks attractions are people longing to ride? DreamWorks SKG is a completely different company than DreamWorks Animation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom