Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

Smiddimizer

Suicide Squad seems like an excellent example. GotG comes out, and it's almost like DC went, "Wait, don't WE have a ragtag team of lovable anti-heroes? Ooh, let's throw a classic rock song in the trailer, too!"

I don't think the movie knows what it is. It doesn't really look as 'fun' as they're advertising (more like arch mayhem ala Mad Max) other than that shot of Jai Courtney opening a can of Coke. Just don't get me started on that "damaged" Joker...I'm hoping he peels off those Mickey Mouse tattoos as soon as he's introduced.

Stevie Amsterdam

The only settings of those that are somewhat recognizable to the public are Asgard and Atlantis, which are based on mythology, the Cosmic Universe, which isn't that practical to implement as a land, and the microverse, which needs time to take hold. Lots of time.
A more recognizable image of Marvel is this:
maxresdefault.jpg

A ruined city isn't the ideal place to walk through and explore in a family theme park.
The entire Star Wars land is going to be a never before seen planet from the SW universe, so I'm sure something like Wakanda could work out.

Also, part of WDS at Disneyland Paris is a ruined city, based on the 2002 movie Reign of Fire:

20_big.jpg
disneyland_178.jpg

Rodan75

Suicide Squad seems like an excellent example. GotG comes out, and it's almost like DC went, "Wait, don't WE have a ragtag team of lovable anti-heroes? Ooh, let's throw a classic rock song in the trailer, too!"

I believe James Gunn even made a similar comment.

I don't begrudge DC/Time Warner from trying to get their heroes on-screen, nor am I giving them grief for their desire to keep them 'dark'. What I do disagree with is that they have no leader currently assigned to the DCEU that has the same level of vision and understanding as Bruce Timm, Kevin Feige or Kathleen Kennedy. Time Warner has a treasure trove of talented creators and visionaries in-house, there is no excuse for not producing a movie that could rival Fast & Furious 7 at the box office.

This goes beyond Sony's mis-management of Spidey, or Fox losing their way with FF. Time Warner knows better...if I were Jeff Bewkes I would be calling for heads. If I were the Time Warner board, I would be calling for Bewkes head, look at the bounty of IP that TW has access to that they have let rot.

tl77

tl77

Thanks, but that's about the DreamWorks deal. I was looking for specifics on the Marvel/Sony deal. I hadn't read about the game situation or the fact that Marvel is leasing Spider-Man back to Sony.

I'm not sure about the Sony thing, but it about this time last year, maybe try a "Spirted Google Search" that seems to be where a lot of this "insider info" comes for

doctornick

I haven't seen either. I was curious about FC, but never got around to it. Days lost me with Quicksilver's design. "He's a speedster! Why the FORK (I didn't say "fork") is he running around in that big billowy coat that increases drag and could get easily caught on something?!? And don't give me that 'It looks cool' garbage!"

I hated Quicksilver from DOFP. Was it a really awesome scene in terms of cinema? Absolutely. But way too freakishly overpowered. The MCU Quicksilver was more in line with his power level.

Cesar R M

Yeah this isn't right at all. Sony still owns the Spider-Man movie rights, but they allow Marvel to use him in thei movies where Marvel keeps all of the money there and Marvel helps Sony make a stand alone where Sony keeps all that money.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/details-spider-man-appear-in-sony-and-marvel-movies-1201429039/

Universal trading Marvel for Dreamworks? Lmao, right after putting big bucks into a Hulk coaster revamp? Sure
Id love to know WHAT dreamworks.. the animation segment or live action segment?
If I remember correctly. Dreamworks split in so many parts thanks to that idiot CEO they have...now the animation segment rarely maintains themselves alive.

Cesar R M

Also: Disney can't use the Marvel brand in Anaheim and unless they renegotiate a contract the extent of integration of IP is limited to characters that "happen to be in" attractions housed at the resort.

Expect Disney to send a few truckloads of money to Comcast to handle that.

Or maybe they already did. That's a lot of copies of Star Wars on demand that Comcast is gonna get a cut of.
They probably will have a cross license agreement when distributing movies?

Matt_Black

I believe James Gunn even made a similar comment.

I don't begrudge DC/Time Warner from trying to get their heroes on-screen, nor am I giving them grief for their desire to keep them 'dark'. What I do disagree with is that they have no leader currently assigned to the DCEU that has the same level of vision and understanding as Bruce Timm, Kevin Feige or Kathleen Kennedy. Time Warner has a treasure trove of talented creators and visionaries in-house, there is no excuse for not producing a movie that could rival Fast & Furious 7 at the box office.

James Tucker would be another good choice, though given his superheroic tastes, there's no way DC as they are right now would let him overseer anything.

pheneix

Yeah these kinds of deals aren't as straight forward as the people what to think, here's the story of how Disney trade Comcast football commentator Al Michaels for Oswald the Rabbit... maybe sometimes you need to get news from places besides message boards, huh?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12750497/how-espn-traded-al-michaels-oswald-rabbit

Dunno if I would throw everyone under the bus here because I would describe that Guardians pitch for Tower as "legit" but I don't think it will ever happen (the ride in Anaheim certainly has an Marvel IP in its future tho make no mistake).

But yes this is exactly what I was referring to when I dropped that link. What could Disney offer to Comcast that would be compelling enough to let Comcast "clear up" some confusion on the Marvel contract? A truckload of money? Cause I see a lot of little slices of Star Wars on demand revenue in Comcast's future. Like a lot a lot.

Btw Disney just licensed away all the leverage it will ever have in distributing its content library online for themselves too. But thereby hangs another rant....

Magenta Panther

Dunno if I would throw everyone under the bus here because I would describe that Guardians pitch for Tower as "legit" but I don't think it will ever happen (the ride in Anaheim certainly has an Marvel IP in its future tho make no mistake).

But yes this is exactly what I was referring to when I dropped that link. What could Disney offer to Comcast that would be compelling enough to let Comcast "clear up" some confusion on the Marvel contract? A truckload of money? Cause I see a lot of little slices of Star Wars on demand revenue in Comcast's future. Like a lot a lot.

Btw Disney just licensed away all the leverage it will ever have in distributing its content library online for themselves too. But thereby hangs another rant....

I hope you're right about the Tower in DHS being safe. I think that rumor's scarred me for life. :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom