Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

Cesar R M

Did he? First I've heard of that, Abrams was on the shortlist pretty much from the get-go but I've never heard or read anywhere that he got the job because Spielberg lobbied for it. Was this before or after Abrams first turned Lucasfilm down?
I read somewhere that Abrams is pretty much a protegee of Steven Spielberg.
Just like Michael bay's protegee is Jonathan Liebesman.

Similar style of directing.

imperius

Actually Disney now "owns" the film rights to Spiderman but they are "leasing" them to Sony, who producing the stand alone Spiderman films, and as part of that deal/exchange Sony got exclusives to Star Wars video game content on their Play Station video game system. That's why you currently can only get Star Wars Battle front on Playstation and the Infinity Star Wars had Boba Fete as an exclusive for the first six months or something to that effect

But in August of this year, 2016, Disney is allowing their Distribution Rights to DreamWorks Films expire, the upcoming Disney/Spielberg/Dreamworks film "BFG" (aka Big Friendly Giant) is the final Dreamworks Film Disney will be handling as part of that contract, and though it hasn't been officially announced Universal will probably inherit the Dreamworks film rights in an exchange for the Marvel Theme Park rights in Orlando... will have to wait and see a few more months
Yeah this isn't right at all. Sony still owns the Spider-Man movie rights, but they allow Marvel to use him in thei movies where Marvel keeps all of the money there and Marvel helps Sony make a stand alone where Sony keeps all that money.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/details-spider-man-appear-in-sony-and-marvel-movies-1201429039/

Universal trading Marvel for Dreamworks? Lmao, right after putting big bucks into a Hulk coaster revamp? Sure

pheneix

Also: Disney can't use the Marvel brand in Anaheim and unless they renegotiate a contract the extent of integration of IP is limited to characters that "happen to be in" attractions housed at the resort.

Expect Disney to send a few truckloads of money to Comcast to handle that.

Or maybe they already did. That's a lot of copies of Star Wars on demand that Comcast is gonna get a cut of.

Matt_Black

What did Spider-Man steal from?

The web- shooters. They were taken from a Golden Age character named the Spider-Queen. The whole concept of web fluid and wrist mounted gadgets to fire it comes from that character.

I don't get why MCU has to do that - many would argue DC need to get a grip on what story direction they want to take

Yeah. Marvel Studios is the top dog. FOX and DC are playing catch-up. The only area where DC is leading is in television.

Last edited:

Mike S

The web- shooters. They were taken from a Golden Age character named the Spider-Queen. The whole concept of web fluid and wrist mounted gadgets to fire it comes from that character.
Very interesting.
Yeah. Marvel Studios is the top dog. FOX and DC are playing catch-up. The only area where DC is leading is in television.
FOX doesn't need to catch up with anything. Just keep doing what they're good at: Deadpool :D

rioriz

FOX had gotten everything right with the second x man trilogy and DEADPOOL, it is only DC needing to catch up and they have a long way to go

Matt_Black

Indeed. If only WB could get their films in order but they keep falling over themselves and making baffling decisions.

I think part of the problem is that they still let David Goyer have a hand in things. He used to be competent at what he did (certainly, the comics co-written with James Robinson and Geoff Johns were great), but he's been falling down into crazy creator territory, as evidenced by some of his comments the past year or so. I blame Blade Trinity. All those contact highs from Wesley Snipes must have done a number on his noggin!

Phineas

I only know who that is from the video game Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction. Best. Secret character. Ever :hilarious:

Edit: also savage Banner :hilarious:
That game had no business being as entertaining as it was, especially in the era it was made-polluted with terrible, half-finished movie tie-ins. I kinda wanna dig out my PS2 now...

Phineas

If the superhero genre gets played out, it won't be Disney/ Marvel's fault. It's more likely to be DC, who seem to be aping what's popular without understanding WHY it's popular. Marvel has been so successful not because they're making excellent superhero films (even though they are), they're pushing the boundaries of what superhero movies can be. Winter Soldier was a political thriller, Iron Man 3 was technological thriller, Ant-Man was a heist movie, Thor riffs on Tolkein-esque imagery at times, etc.
I've never seen this more well-put.

I predict DC making loud, disjointed popcorn movies that are all the same, except with different coats of paint, and questionable casting (Eisenberg? Really??) appealing to only the most in-the-know comic fans, until the general movie-going public has finally had enough. (I shouldn't have to go to Wikipedia to understand dialog/references in a superhero movie.)

They want to reap the success that Marvel's had, without putting in the time/thought that makes the Marvel Cinematic Universe great.

Matt_Black

I've never seen this more well-put.

I predict DC making loud, disjointed popcorn movies that are all the same, except with different coats of paint, and questionable casting (Eisenberg? Really??) appealing to only the most in-the-know comic fans, until the general movie-going public has finally had enough. (I shouldn't have to go to Wikipedia to understand dialog/references in a superhero movie.)

They want to reap the success that Marvel's had, without putting in the time/thought that makes the Marvel Cinematic Universe great.

Suicide Squad seems like an excellent example. GotG comes out, and it's almost like DC went, "Wait, don't WE have a ragtag team of lovable anti-heroes? Ooh, let's throw a classic rock song in the trailer, too!"

Phineas

Suicide Squad seems like an excellent example. GotG comes out, and it's almost like DC went, "Wait, don't WE have a ragtag team of lovable anti-heroes? Ooh, let's throw a classic rock song in the trailer, too!"
I also read an article that they were currently doing re-shoots to make it funnier. I'm not exactly optimistic about any of this.

Matt_Black

I also read an article that they were currently doing re-shoots to make it funnier. I'm not exactly optimistic about any of this.

Plus Will Smith is in it. He's one of those actors who has his own team of writers to come in and "clean up" his lines in the script, and I can't imagine any of them know Deadshot from Deadpool.

I'm hard on DC right now, but they'd win me back if they did a Weird War movie with Sgt. Rock, the Losers, the Blackhawks, the Creature Commandos, G.I. Robot, the Haunted Tank, and any other WWII character I might be forgetting.

Or B'wana Beast. I would watch the **** out of a B'wana Beast movie.

Last edited:

Matt_Black

See, I rather like First Class. I didn't care much for Days of Future Past.

I haven't seen either. I was curious about FC, but never got around to it. Days lost me with Quicksilver's design. "He's a speedster! Why the FORK (I didn't say "fork") is he running around in that big billowy coat that increases drag and could get easily caught on something?!? And don't give me that 'It looks cool' garbage!"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom