Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

PizzaPlanet

I disagree.
It's actually quite likely.
The only way I see this happening would be if Uni somehow struck a deal with Marvel Studios. How would they be able to do it independently? Do you really see them casting RDJ and Chris Evans? And even if they claim its part of the MCU, disney could just say, no its not.
Do you have any info on how this would work or are you just hopeful? ;)

BrerJon

The only way I see this happening would be if Uni somehow struck a deal with Marvel Studios. How would they be able to do it independently? Do you really see them casting RDJ and Chris Evans? And even if they claim its part of the MCU, disney could just say, no its not.

Spider-Man is in an MCU movie playing right now, that shows that Disney isn't averse to making deals with other companies over shared use of characters.

Matt_Black

That's a bit different. While Marvel/ Disney would have loved to have gotten Spider-Man back in some fashion, in that instance Sony needed the deal a lot more than Marvel/ Disney did.

lazyboy97o

What deal with Marvel Studios would be needed? And Disney can't just say "no" because they don't like the deal.

doctornick

wait a sec, so they are sort of trading? MCU designs and characters to Universal and.. what does disney get?

In the spring of 2015, there was strong rumors floating around of Disney and Uni coming up with some sort of "deal" regarding the theme park rights. Soon after, rumors heated up about the Hulk coaster refurb and an Avengers E-ticket for Uni -- my impression is that both would use MCU looks and thematic placement.

The question is whether Uni would have access to MCU style as per the original agreement and I firmly believe they would not (just like they would not be able to use the likeness of Sony's Spider-Man or Fox's X-men without agreeing with those companies). Warner Bros was involved in the contract for Harry Potter as well, not just JK Rowling.

Now, if Disney/Marvel had to provider permission to allow MCU likenesses and there was some sort of an agreement for that, it would stand to reason that the negotiations might have also provided greater clarification in regards to the specifics of the Uni/Marvel deal. I wouldn't be surprised if Comcast and Disney worked out any contention or "gray area" issues to mutual satisfaction.

PizzaPlanet

Spider-Man is in an MCU movie playing right now, that shows that Disney isn't averse to making deals with other companies over shared use of characters.
Very true. However, I have the feeling that disney is bitter over universal's theme park rights. But who knows, anything could happen.
What deal with Marvel Studios would be needed? And Disney can't just say "no" because they don't like the deal.
That's not what I meant. I'm saying Disney could just tell everyone that Universal's attraction is not canon to their cinematic universe.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Publicity for its IP.
And big, fat checks for all the merchandise sold, etc.

And best of all from TWDC's standpoint it's 'Free Money' Disney did not have to invest a single PENNY for those returns and that's why Disney has no interest in getting the east coast Marvel rights back.

Disney has had the west coast Marvel rights since forever and have done precisely squat with them. The only Marvel attraction that Disney is building is in SHANGHAI for crying out loud.

dstrawn9889

What does MCU stand for?
it means that UNI cannot use the current costuming and how the characters look in the Movies produced lately... Loki cannot 'look' like tom... or Iron Mans' current armor profile. it keeps them from updating their rides to piggyback off of the MCU's successes because of direct brand recognition (now lets be honest, no matter how the armor looks, 'hotrod' red and gold is always going to mark IM, and the silver&gold w/ red cape will always link in your head to THOR...)

doctornick

I don't know where this idea Universal can't use MCU versions but to clear things up they are allowed to use any versions of the superheroes as long as it is canon.

They can use miles morales as Spider-Man due to he was spider man in the comics but can't make Spider-Man suit purple because it's not canon.

So, they can use the character versions of Fox's X-Men movies without Fox's permission or involvement?

Quinnmac000

So, they can use the character versions of Fox's X-Men movies without Fox's permission or involvement?

If Marvel studios worked on the film, they are required to provide Universal with the means of access to the crew and talent at Fox. Same with dead pool etc if Marvel was present and provided input etc and had their logo on it. Universal can use.

rioriz

And best of all from TWDC's standpoint it's 'Free Money' Disney did not have to invest a single PENNY for those returns and that's why Disney has no interest in getting the east coast Marvel rights back.

Disney has had the west coast Marvel rights since forever and have done precisely squat with them. The only Marvel attraction that Disney is building is in Hong Kong for crying out loud.

Fixed...I don't consider the meet and greet in Shanghai any different than the ones in DL and DLP

AEfx

Disney has had the west coast Marvel rights since forever and have done precisely squat with them. The only Marvel attraction that Disney is building is in SHANGHAI for crying out loud.

Exactly - which is why fans win, too. Because Universal, you know, actually builds impressive attractions in a timely manner.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom