Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

Soarin' Over Pgh

Getting back on topic, today's MiceAge update talks about the DCA version of Tower and how unless Shanghai bombs the Guardians will come this fall in time for a May debut. No mention of Florida's version.

I just finished that article and came here to mention it :)

Very interesting- I don't see Shanghai DL nosediving... I think we can about kiss this ride goodbye.

I wonder how they are planning to change the exterior of the ride.

Rteetz

Getting back on topic, today's MiceAge update talks about the DCA version of Tower and how unless Shanghai bombs the Guardians will come this fall in time for a May debut. No mention of Florida's version.
Also said the marvel coaster is on pace for 2020 and won't be going in the Timon parking lot but rather the monsters inc area.

the.dreamfinder

The MiceAge article mentioning Monsters Inc getting turned into a Marvel ride is making me imagine a "Super Hero Star Limo" and that the Drew Carey that still exists under the CTA costuming will be redressed as Hulk and the redressed Jackie Chan figure will become Spider-Man.
I'd love to see a state of the art Hulk AA figure one day... should just keep waiting.

Disneyhead'71

That's adorable. Comparing Dreamworks to Pixar is a bit like comparing TNA to WWE.
hqdefault.jpg

Disneyhead'71

Aside from BASIC theme and ride vehicles, everything else has changed. The ride takes place between III and IV instead of after VI, has a far sleeker aesthetics, in 3D, C-3PO as the pilot instead of Captain Rex, and completely different altenrnating show scenes. I could go on, but I think you get the idea. In my eyes, a refurbishment can update a ride in major ways, but the experience as a whole has to remain fundamentally the same. And example of this would be the Haunted Mansion. While the stair scene replaced the spider scene, the ride's basic story experience remains unchanged in an overall radical way. Star Tours saw enough radical change where the ride has a new subtitle and its own separate Wikipedia article. I know its not the most official source, but enough differences for there to be seperate, individual articles should say something. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Tours_–_The_Adventures_Continue
Is Star Tours still Star Tours, vehicles and all?

Herbie

If anything, they should be glad to know that most everyone thinks it's a stupid idea before they proceed(ed).
How can they be furious about that? Or are they so hardheaded on the idea, they were attempting damage control by keeping it under wraps?
How is this a good idea in their heads? Destroy the Tower and the Monsters Inc ride and the entire Hollywoodland concept? I do not understand.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
If anything, they should be glad to know that most everyone thinks it's a stupid idea before they proceed(ed).
How can they be furious about that? Or are they so hardheaded on the idea, they were attempting damage control by keeping it under wraps?
How is this a good idea in their heads? Destroy the Tower and the Monsters Inc ride and the entire Hollywoodland concept? I do not understand.

I assume they are mad it got leaked as then, they had no control over the message. Companies always want to be in control of the messaging of a new or potential product.

Peter Pano

If they indeed move along with this forced GotG retheming of the ToT, a classic ride, perfectly designed and incredibly popular as it is, then this must be the most absurd waste of Disney money one could ever dream of. At a time where the parks have to endure severe cuts left and right, no less. It does not make ANY kind of sense. I can only shake my head at a management that even starts to ponder such an idea.

doctornick

Well, I was actually onboard with the idea of GotG replacing the ToT in DCA only because it would be part of a cohesive Marvel area with the space behind it (between ToT and Cars Land). If they put GotG in ToT but put other Marvel stuff on the opposite side of Hollywood Land, it defeats the purpose IMHO.

If they want to make the area where Monsters Inc and the Frozen sing-a-long are into Marvel, that's cool, but then leave ToT alone.

Regarding WDW, the Miceage article makes it sound like a much larger and involved plan for ToT than just a quick overlay with it taking 7-8 months to complete. I just don't see how DHS could afford to take a major attraction like that off-line for that long in the next year. It strikes me that doing some "temporary" overlay of GotG around the time of the movie would be far more likely, with the ride staying intact. Or just putting GotG in somewhere else (everyone knows that Stitch is just screaming for a new theme, right?)

EPCOTCenterLover

The one thing the article reminded me of is Disney's agreement with the city of Anaheim to invest $1B+ in park enhancements or lose their tax benefits. Overall, chump change investment for a company their size.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom