Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

GiveMeTheMusic

As far as general consensus on this site goes, yes. However, there have been a few since then that Disney billed as such that were either debatable (SDMT) or just flat out not E-tickets (TSMM). I'd consider ST 2.0 to be a completely new E-Ticket, but many here diminish that as just a refurbishment for some strange reason.

It WAS just a refurbishment. Same exact ride vehicles and concept, just a different film. While it was a needed and appreciated upgrade, it was not a completely new E-ticket by any measure.

Donaldfan1934

It WAS just a refurbishment. Same exact ride vehicles and concept, just a different film. While it was a needed and appreciated upgrade, it was not a completely new E-ticket by any measure.
Aside from BASIC theme and ride vehicles, everything else has changed. The ride takes place between III and IV instead of after VI, has a far sleeker aesthetics, in 3D, C-3PO as the pilot instead of Captain Rex, and completely different altenrnating show scenes. I could go on, but I think you get the idea. In my eyes, a refurbishment can update a ride in major ways, but the experience as a whole has to remain fundamentally the same. And example of this would be the Haunted Mansion. While the stair scene replaced the spider scene, the ride's basic story experience remains unchanged in an overall radical way. Star Tours saw enough radical change where the ride has a new subtitle and its own separate Wikipedia article. I know its not the most official source, but enough differences for there to be seperate, individual articles should say something. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Tours_–_The_Adventures_Continue

GiveMeTheMusic

Aside from BASIC theme and ride vehicles, everything else has changed. The ride takes place between III and IV instead of after VI, has a far sleeker aesthetics, in 3D, C-3PO as the pilot instead of Captain Rex, and completely different altenrnating show scenes. I could go on, but I think you get the idea. In my eyes, a refurbishment can update a ride in major ways, but the experience as a whole has to remain fundamentally the same. And example of this would be the Haunted Mansion. While the stair scene replaced the spider scene, the ride's basic story experience remains unchanged in an overall radical way. Star Tours saw enough radical change where the ride has a new subtitle and its own separate Wikipedia article. I know its not the most official source, but enough differences for there to be seperate, individual articles should say something. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Tours_–_The_Adventures_Continue

It's still Star Tours. New movie, new pilot - still Star Tours. It's not a brand new E ticket. A brand new E ticket would be a new build ride that didn't previously exist. A new Wikipedia article doesn't make it a brand new E ticket.

Progress.City

That's adorable. Comparing Dreamworks to Pixar is a bit like comparing TNA to WWE.
They're also comparing the head of Dreamworks Animation to John Lasseter, saying that Comcast has promoted him in the capacity as John Lasseter is with Disney, including that of creative consultant for the parks.

Donaldfan1934

It's still Star Tours. New movie, new pilot - still Star Tours. It's not a brand new E ticket. A brand new E ticket would be a new build ride that didn't previously exist. A new Wikipedia article doesn't make it a brand new E ticket.
By your logic, Body Wars and the Iron Man Experience are also the original Star Tours. Same ride system doesn't mean same ride experience.

Last edited:

Donaldfan1934

It's the same ride system in the same building in the same location with the same theme.
Those rides also had (or in Iron Man's case, presumably will have) different queues, names, and themes.

The revised (downgraded) Star Tours does not.
Again, same BASIC theme and concept on paper, but the time and place in the Star Wars universe make it different. The aesthetics of the queue and associated props are sleeker, the dialogue spoken by the characters is entirely new to fit the new STORY. If I were to narrow down one element that could make any attraction completely seperate from its predecessor, its the story. Judging by your profile pic @Bairstow, I don't think you would consider Stitch's Great Escape to be the exact same ride experience as Alien Encounter, even though they share just as much, if not more, in common than the two Star Tours from a technical standpoint.

Donaldfan1934

Those rides aren't called STAR TOURS, so yes, they are different rides.

I can't believe I'm still doing this. Bye
Technically, the new ride is called Star Tours: The Adventures Continue and was announced at D23 2009 as Star Tours II. If the Imagineers who worked on it didn't consider it a different attraction, then they wouldn't have bothered adding a subtitle now, would they? I know the point of my original post was that Disney sometimes over sells things, but I feel them calling this ride a "new adventure" holds up.

Fantasmicguy

Well, let's be honest- it ain't even in the same league as Lady & The Tramp or Sleeping Beauty. Those films are like Stone Cold or The Rock. The Jungle Book is The Miz. Perfectly serviceable, but missing that something to credibly be in the main event.
I just want to point out that the Miz is awesome

Fantasmicguy

It would be nice if Disney/Marvel would develop characters outside the Universal contract (there are thousands). I'm getting tired of the same characters in every movie. That's why I haven't been to the last several Marvel movies. Get creative and do something new / different.
Ant Man and Guardians of the Galaxy are both kind of out there. Universal Contract or not it was surprising to have movies made for them.

Donaldfan1934

So by this logic the newly refurbished Test Track is BRAND NEW E-ticket? I don't think so.
I'll just leave it at the fact that the original ride took place in a realistic test facility instead of a Tron like computer environment and wasn't based around building your own car. I would say the ride experience is more similar than the two Star Tours, though.

Cesar R M

Technically, the new ride is called Star Tours: The Adventures Continue and was announced at D23 2009 as Star Tours II. If the Imagineers who worked on it didn't consider it a different attraction, then they wouldn't have bothered adding a subtitle now, would they? I know the point of my original post was that Disney sometimes over sells things, but I feel them calling this ride a "new adventure" holds up.

Still, same building, same theme, same idea.

Donaldfan1934

Still, same building, same theme, same idea.
I get that its the same on paper, what I don't get is how someone can't see that these are two very different experiences. I'm all for giving Disney flack when they deserve it, but it seems as if some people will just diminish every attraction from whatever point they became jaded onward down to its most basic parts. Watch these two videos and tell me what you saw was the exact same thing with only a handful of changes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom