Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

Wikkler

Again, same BASIC theme and concept on paper, but the time and place in the Star Wars universe make it different. The aesthetics of the queue and associated props are sleeker, the dialogue spoken by the characters is entirely new to fit the new STORY. If I were to narrow down one element that could make any attraction completely seperate from its predecessor, its the story. Judging by your profile pic @Bairstow, I don't think you would consider Stitch's Great Escape to be the exact same ride experience as Alien Encounter, even though they share just as much, if not more, in common than the two Star Tours from a technical standpoint.
It's not just the technical part. Stitch and Alien Encounter were based on two different concepts. The two Star Tours were both based on the Star Wars movies. Body Wars and Iron Man Experience were and will not be. Please end this.

Cesar R M

hqdefault.jpg
lets not forget the superb scores of shrek AND how to train your dragon franchises..

Also, lets not to mention that the voting for Animated feature, is sort of a big stupid joke.
Because most "experts" didnt even watch the movies they were supposed to vote.
or just voted disney for default.
With that skewed voting, no surprise Disney or Pixar won that many in a row.
Even when their offerings were very weak.

Cesar R M

If anything, they should be glad to know that most everyone thinks it's a stupid idea before they proceed(ed).
How can they be furious about that? Or are they so hardheaded on the idea, they were attempting damage control by keeping it under wraps?
How is this a good idea in their heads? Destroy the Tower and the Monsters Inc ride and the entire Hollywoodland concept? I do not understand.
If I remember correctly. Disney is well known to keep plans to destroy older attractions in secrets to prevent anger from their fanbase until the last moment (to prevent their plans from being stopped).

Matt_Black

That opinions are opinions and every one has them?

Shrek has aged HORRIBLY, what with all the timely pop culture references (hey, a Matrix joke! Ha-ha!). Whereas Monsters Inc. is more or less timeless and still very enjoyable today.

To use a comparison- Chariots of Fire won Best Picture over Raiders of the Lost Ark. When was the last time you heard anyone talk about Chariots of Fire? When was the last time it was on TV? It's not a meaningful film, it's the answer to a question at Trivia Night at your local bar.

zooey

Well, I was actually onboard with the idea of GotG replacing the ToT in DCA only because it would be part of a cohesive Marvel area with the space behind it (between ToT and Cars Land). If they put GotG in ToT but put other Marvel stuff on the opposite side of Hollywood Land, it defeats the purpose IMHO.

If they want to make the area where Monsters Inc and the Frozen sing-a-long are into Marvel, that's cool, but then leave ToT alone.

Regarding WDW, the Miceage article makes it sound like a much larger and involved plan for ToT than just a quick overlay with it taking 7-8 months to complete. I just don't see how DHS could afford to take a major attraction like that off-line for that long in the next year. It strikes me that doing some "temporary" overlay of GotG around the time of the movie would be far more likely, with the ride staying intact. Or just putting GotG in somewhere else (everyone knows that Stitch is just screaming for a new theme, right?)
In DL they will still have Frozen the stage show right in the middle of that mess. If anything all of this would remain Hollywood themed, and they would just jam marvel in around it. I don't think they're talking a true marvel land. These overlays won't fix anything thematically.

Matt_Black

So the Oscar's mean nothing to you when it comes to Shrek winning over Monster's Inc., yet you keep insisting that because Let it Go won an Oscar, it belongs in Epcot.

In some instances, yes, the Oscars are meaningless. For lesser categories, they're pretty accurate. Quick- name another song that was nominated that year? You MIGHT be able to name one song.

But as far as Best Picture and Best Animated Feature, they're riddled with bias and studio politics.

Mike S

In DL they will still have Frozen the stage show right in the middle of that mess. If anything all of this would remain Hollywood themed, and they would just jam marvel in around it. I don't think they're talking a true marvel land. These overlays won't fix anything thematically.
Leave it to Disney to completely drop the ball with Marvel at the resort with nothing holding them back. Oh well, at least there's Marvel Superhero Island for all the people willing to *GASP!!!* leave the Disney bubble.

doctornick

Not just the Hyperion Theater, but also the Animation Bldg and Disney Jr plus the street where the Red Car Trolley travels. If the plans really are to put Marvel in ToT and in area around Monsters Inc, it's a big fail thematically IMHO.

There's actual justification for replacing ToT with a Marvel theme since it's kind of in an alley and is adjacent to the plot of land that was where the new coaster was going to go. You do that and you can potentially tighten the overall theming of DCA. It would have helped to make the Marvel stuff seem more appropriate with a dedicated space and less haphazardly placed. Instead, they seem to be going even more crazy with their plans if Miceage is to be believed.

Donaldfan1934

It's not just the technical part. Stitch and Alien Encounter were based on two different concepts. The two Star Tours were both based on the Star Wars movies. Body Wars and Iron Man Experience were and will not be. Please end this.
If you look at the top of page 139, I did end it. It all matters what perspective you choose to look at it from, I think.

Last edited:

Brer Panther

If they want to make the area where Monsters Inc and the Frozen sing-a-long are into Marvel, that's cool, but then leave ToT alone.
Knowing Disney, they probably consider the Frozen sing-a-long too sacred to get rid of.

If they indeed move along with this forced GotG retheming of the ToT, a classic ride, perfectly designed and incredibly popular as it is, then this must be the most absurd waste of Disney money one could ever dream of. At a time where the parks have to endure severe cuts left and right, no less. It does not make ANY kind of sense. I can only shake my head at a management that even starts to ponder such an idea.
Not to mention the amazing amount of backlash it'll cause. The Tower of Terror is a pretty popular ride, I'm picturing the Journey Into Imagination fiasco about a million times worse.

If you honestly think that Shrek was the better animated feature over Monsters Inc. that year, well then I don't know what to tell you.
I think Monsters Inc. deserved the Oscar, but I still like Shrek...

Not dissing Shrek by any means, but not giving Monsters Inc. the first best animated picture Oscar is widely viewed as a snub.
Snubbing is something that the Oscars are good at. While I'm cool with Rango winning the 2011 Best Animated Picture award, I think Winnie the Pooh should have at least been nominated.

Donaldfan1934

Snubbing is something that the Oscars are good at. While I'm cool with Rango winning the 2011 Best Animated Picture award, I think Winnie the Pooh should have at least been nominated.
I totally agree with this statement. I think Winnie the Pooh (2011) could've, and should've, won. I liked Rango, but does anyone even care about that movie anymore? It came out only 5 years ago and I haven't heard anything about it in a while. However, I have seen a fair amount of stuff regarding Winnie the Pooh (2011) despite the fact that it didn't do as well as Rango did at the box office.

Rodan75

Leave it to Disney to completely drop the ball with Marvel at the resort with nothing holding them back. Oh well, at least there's Marvel Superhero Island for all the people willing to *GASP!!!* leave the Disney bubble.

I can't imagine Ike would support such a haphazard implementation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom