Major Epcot Update: Kodak Out?

Enchantâmes

Just random thoughts. Seems to fit the direction of this thread though. :lol:

What about a Phineas and Ferb meets Figment overlay? The could modernize the pavillion and keep Figment around. P&F certainly fit the pavillion. I wouldn't mind seeing a toy company as the sponsor. FAO Schwarz maybe? Too much Disney competition in that market I guess. I don't see Fuji as a good replacement either though.
Dear God No!

wolf359

Both The Living Seas and Wonders of Life went through a lengthy, gradual deterioration after after the sponsors departed and the checks stopped coming.

I see a very real possibility that if Kodak IS out Disney will simply shutter the ride and run Captain EO as the only attraction in the pavilion, leaving the the Imagination rehab for a time where another sponsor gets onboard or Disney digs a little deeper and does the rehab themselves. Neither option sounds like something we should be holding our breath for.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.

What about a Phineas and Ferb meets Figment overlay? The could modernize the pavillion and keep Figment around. P&F certainly fit the pavillion. I wouldn't mind seeing a toy company as the sponsor. FAO Schwarz maybe? Too much Disney competition in that market I guess. I don't see Fuji as a good replacement either though.

I don't think I could bring myself to set foot in Epcot again if that happened. Seriously. :zipit:

As for the possible departure of Kodak, I am still pretty skeptical on this one. Maybe it is just denial because I've seen what happens to attractions that lose their sponsors. It is practically a death sentence. If you think things are bad now you haven't seen anything yet if Imagination has to continue on without a sponsor. :( A few years from now we could be looking back on these days and reminiscing about how good things were before the sponsor money disappeared. :lookaroun

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

While I can appreciate the concept of the imaginations of P&F fitting into JII, I think TDO would rather keep them in someplace like DHS, as a current member of the Disney Studios lineup. Just a hunch on my part.....:)

SMRT-1

doubt it but might be something marvel. :zipit:

Thrill Seeker

Original Poster
As promised, some pics of the now walled off Imageworks...

45384_425941944938_735924938_4891949_3739221_n.jpg

The windows looking into the loading station are blacked out

45527_426391684938_735924938_4901830_234182_n.jpg

The previously shuttered giant camera display is now walled off
45732_426392064938_735924938_4901839_3869290_n.jpg

The funky picture machines are also walled off.

Rob562

Please leave your anti-Apple fanboyism out of a legitimate conversation.

Apple has a pile of cash, is the current market leader in industrial design, and happens to be headed by one of the largest individual owners in Disney stock and who sits on the Disney board.

I'm flabbergasted that Apple doesn't have a visible presence in Epcot. I can only assume they do not for brand perception reasons.

There's also the matter of a competitor sponsoring a major attraction under contract in the same park...

-Rob

raven

As promised, some pics of the now walled off Imageworks...

45384_425941944938_735924938_4891949_3739221_n.jpg

The windows looking into the loading station are blacked out

45527_426391684938_735924938_4901830_234182_n.jpg

The previously shuttered giant camera display is now walled off
45732_426392064938_735924938_4901839_3869290_n.jpg

The funky picture machines are also walled off.

Is this the only area that's walled off? If so, that little show ended a while back and they were bound to take it out anyway.

duff527

There are lots more companies out there (this has been discuessed on here time and time again) that would be better suited for an Epcot attraction than Apple as they have a very small product base compared to many other companies.

What does the size of their product base have to do with sponsoring a pavilion or attraction?

JWG

Color me as someone who sees this as not necessarily good.

Let's review sponsorless attractions at Epcot:
1) Universe of Energy (last update 1996)
2) Wonders of Life (shuttered)
3) The Land (neutral, but Lion King has been in that theater forever)
4) The Seas w/ Nemo (ok, updated, but poorly in my mind)

I haven't see the loss of sponsorship do much positive for any pavilion. Sure, now Disney doesn't need sponsor approval to make changes - but will they actually invest the $$'s on their own to do it right? I say no.

SSE is the only attraction to GET a sponsor recently and it's not even complete.

Mr. Spock

Color me as someone who sees this as not necessarily good.

Let's review sponsorless attractions at Epcot:
1) Universe of Energy (last update 1996)
2) Wonders of Life (shuttered)
3) The Land (neutral, but Lion King has been in that theater forever)
4) The Seas w/ Nemo (ok, updated, but poorly in my mind)

I haven't see the loss of sponsorship do much positive for any pavilion. Sure, now Disney doesn't need sponsor approval to make changes - but will they actually invest the $$'s on their own to do it right? I say no.

SSE is the only attraction to GET a sponsor recently and it's not even complete.

Hopefully someone steps in but I doubt it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom