Major DTD update

cynic710

Some of the posts on here talk about "fans" not liking this or get excited about that, and it's got me thinking about what exactly am I a fan of? Is the nostalgia? The current condition/direction of the parks? The future? Many years ago, when it was just MK and EPCOT, I'd often envision "what are they going to do next?!". I couldn't wait to go and see what new attraction or ride Disney had come up with. Now, I find myself wishing old things would come back or they'd just fix what they have. I don't think this us nostalgia, I think it's an acceptance that things aren't going to get better. They will, one day, but for a long while now, things have "flatlined". So I guess I'm a fan of the quality that was expected and found throughout the resort, and I'm a fan of possibilities. What I really want is to be a fan of that same quality and the PROMISE of possibilities. So I'm hoping DTD, DHS, AK and EPCOT get whatever attention they need so we can discuss, with a degree of certainty, the future of WDW.

here here! i like this and can relate. i find myself searching for the inner childhood that the parks can unleash when i arrive, but lately the "whats next" factor has outweighed anything else as far as considerations for future park endevors. as i get older its less about what the park is but more of what the park will be, and how they can wow me next. shame on us as fans for growing up and thinking differently about the park i suppose?

i went with my best friend and we took our wives back in november, my friends wife was 25 at the time and had never been to the parks, i can only imagine how she felt leading up to it, at the parks and after, because there is no way she can feel the same way about the parks as i do, being a disney kid myself.

Beholder

here here! i like this and can relate. i find myself searching for the inner childhood that the parks can unleash when i arrive, but lately the "whats next" factor has outweighed anything else as far as considerations for future park endevors. as i get older its less about what the park is but more of what the park will be, and how they can wow me next. shame on us as fans for growing up and thinking differently about the park i suppose?

i went with my best friend and we took our wives back in november, my friends wife was 25 at the time and had never been to the parks, i
can only

imagine how she felt leading up to it, at the parks and after, because
there is no way she can feel the same way about the parks as i do, being a
disney kid myself.

That's a huge difference that I sometimes take
for granted, that I judge and measure my expectations from the perspective of growing up with WDW. I was born in Orlando, about a month from the opening of MK, so I have grown up with WDW. I've seen the glory of days past and the promise of a place that was only to get better through the years. I have an attachment that others may not have. Being part of my childhood has deffinately changed my perspective and I'll admit, it may not always be realistic.

Mouse Detective

update: I've heard from a fairly reliable source that the Alice in Wonderland Tea Party dance thing from Disneyland is coming to DTD before the end of the year and it will be located on PI.

I think this would be a great addition. But at DCA this event is part of paid admission to the theme park. At Downtown Disney wouldn't they have to give this away for free? It's also run by Disney castmembers. Wouldn't this go against the whole Downtown Disney concept of making everything third-party?

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
I think this would be a great addition. But at DCA this event is part of paid admission to the theme park. At Downtown Disney wouldn't they have to give this away for free? It's also run by Disney castmembers. Wouldn't this go against the whole Downtown Disney concept of making everything third-party?
Yes and yes. Just repeating what I heard, which I had confirmed by another source. That said, I've given up trying to figure out their decision making process. I think something like this is coming from higher up. No way meg and her clowns would willingly implement this kind of thing, especially for free. Although I hear they need circus acts for FLE lol. idk y they hold auditions, they have perfect candidates all in one building!

flynnibus

Premium Member
Wouldn't this go against the whole Downtown Disney concept of making everything third-party?

What is this concept of which you speak? From the start.. Disney Village and onward versions of DTD have had Disney operated elements. World of Disney? Disney Quest? etc. DTD invites 3rd parties - it doesn't ban Disney. Disney would just rather other people spend money so they can make their royalties/rent without spending their own money.

rioriz

I would LOVE if Mad T Party came! It is so much fun and would bring a more party atmosphere to Pleasure Island again!

Mouse Detective

What is this concept of which you speak? From the start.. Disney Village and onward versions of DTD have had Disney operated elements. World of Disney? Disney Quest? etc. DTD invites 3rd parties - it doesn't ban Disney. Disney would just rather other people spend money so they can make their royalties/rent without spending their own money.

From the start pretty much everything at Disney Village was owned and operated by Disney. That has slowly changed across the expanded DTD. But there is no doubt that the intent for Pleasure Island itself was to have everything (shops, restaurants, lounges) outsourced. That's common knowledge. Heck, the DTD vice-president Bradford's former job was director of outsourcing!

flynnibus

Premium Member
From the start pretty much everything at Disney Village was owned and operated by Disney. That has slowly changed across the expanded DTD. But there is no doubt that the intent for Pleasure Island itself was to have everything (shops, restaurants, lounges) outsourced. That's common knowledge. Heck, the DTD vice-president Bradford's former job was director of outsourcing!

Which Pleasure Island? The one that actually operated by Disney?? Or the theoretical one after they shut down PI hoping they could outsource the operations? Even if the latter, it's a stretch to say make everything in DTD 3rd party. PI != DTD

71jason

Very interesting. I wonder what it is about the 3rd week in September that Disney likes to make announcements. Avatar was announced on September 20th last year. I guess they like to do it before Oct. 1.

Fiscal year starts October 1. Why a lot of things (like PI) close the last week of September.

menamechris

Fiscal year starts October 1. Why a lot of things (like PI) close the last week of September.

Right - I understand from a starting or ceasing business operations standpoint - but I am curious why they seem to base their announcements on it recently. Announcing something doesn't affect the financials - unless they are starting construction after October 1 - but that obviously didn't happen with Avatar...

Mouse Detective

True, but the announcement that PI was closing was made near the end of June.

Where are wdw71fan, WDW1974, Lee , marni1971 and Raven when we need them? Come on guys, please weigh in on the fresh rumors that Mannequins and Comedy Warehouse are reopening and that the Mad Tea Party is coming to Pleasure Island!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
True, but the announcement that PI was closing was made near the end of June.

Where are wdw71fan, WDW1974, Lee , marni1971 and Raven when we need them? Come on guys, please weigh in on the fresh rumors that Mannequins and Comedy Warehouse are reopening and that the Mad Tea Party is coming to Pleasure Island!
MQ and CW were rumoured a long time ago, to be 3rd party clubbing venues. Work was done in MQ , apparently for offices. I've heard nothing recently.

Longhairbear

MQ and CW were rumoured a long time ago, to be 3rd party clubbing venues. Work was done in MQ , apparently for offices. I've heard nothing recently.
Some are saying mad Tea Party isn't doing as well as the earlier incarnations. Going to WDW DTD, it may fall flat on it's face.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
The Mad Tea Party thing is nothing to get excited about. If it still happens, it will be a small overlay of a musical act, and some merchandise. Don't get your expectations up for this one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom