Major DTD update

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Your Avatar shows the new spur track to store a maintainence tractor. This is now completed and in use.

Orlandos footers vary in size but are large due to the unstable land.

alissafalco

Where is the article? It seems to have been removed from this thread. That would be great if true, but it just doesnt make sense for them to build more monorail to DTD, if they were going to build more wouldn't it be to HS or DAk? To get more people to the parks where they would make more $$? By the way on a side note, we took the ferry today to MK and it was 1000 degrees inside even with the windows open and it was infested with mosquitos. It really was awful. Yesterday the bus from HS back to Poly was almost an hr wait by the time we got on the 3rd bus that came, and with all the scooters you could fit maybe 30 people? That was awful also. Clearly they need a better transportation system. Why don't they have double decker buses? You could fit so many more people and save on gas. With the prices of gas just going up and up I would hope they are trying to come up with something better. I wish more monorail was the answer.

Just an FYI on Modern Marvels last week they said it cost 1 million a mile to build the epcot monorail line and that was in 1979. So who knows what it would cost now.

PeterAlt

Where is the article? It seems to have been removed from this thread. That would be great if true, but it just doesnt make sense for them to build more monorail to DTD, if they were going to build more wouldn't it be to HS or DAk? To get more people to the parks where they would make more $$? By the way on a side note, we took the ferry today to MK and it was 1000 degrees inside even with the windows open and it was infested with mosquitos. It really was awful. Yesterday the bus from HS back to Poly was almost an hr wait by the time we got on the 3rd bus that came, and with all the scooters you could fit maybe 30 people? That was awful also. Clearly they need a better transportation system. Why don't they have double decker buses? You could fit so many more people and save on gas. With the prices of gas just going up and up I would hope they are trying to come up with something better. I wish more monorail was the answer.

Just an FYI on Modern Marvels last week they said it cost 1 million a mile to build the epcot monorail line and that was in 1979. So who knows what it would cost now.

I've posted earlier to another thread my idea of converting the monorail system into an automated PRT and people mover system, with both modes of transportation sharing a single track. The monorail beams would be converted over to the automated track system, new elevated track would be built where needed and other new track would be at ground level where most effective and where nothing can cross it (like from World Drive to DAK). People mover trains would equal the monorails trains in capacity and have color-coded programmed routes going to all the attractions, while the lower capacity PRT cars would go from resort to resort, resort to attraction, and attraction to resort (but not attraction to attraction) and would operate on demand and go to the destination told to go by its group travelers.

I don't know if the monorail beams could support the weight of this kind of system. I see no reason why these cars and trains would weigh any more than a monorail train. The beam would have to be widened to support a pair of rubber tires per axel. Control and electric propulsion would need to be integrated onto the track. Better yet would be if they could use the linear induction motor they used for the WEDway People Mover system.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
I believe this is the article referred to.

Yes, and I think this segment says it best:

With that last admonition in mind that things can and do change, let me also mention that a monorail expansion was on the master plan. Again: simply being on the plan doesn’t mean it’s imminent. It’s not even “for sure”. It’s just something they put on the plan in case they want to do it, so they can plan out how things fit together.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Don't we already have other monorail expansion threads?? Can we keep this thread about DTD??

I tend to agree, especially Imagineering discussions....

And hadn't someone mentioned there was to have been a DTD announcement yesterday? What ever became of that (rumor)?

lazyboy97o

If the MK and EPCOT and DD loops were interconnected as one continuous loop, where all trains stop at all stations (attraction stations; MK resort loop + TTC would remain separate), how would this increase cost?

They already built a spur linking the MK and EPCOT loops a few months ago, so there's no construction costs for these two loops to tie together. I don't see how this could add any operational cost, since no additional trains would be needed. Operations would actually be simplified by merging two or three loops (three in the case of a LBV loop) into one long loop where all color trains on that loop all stop directly at the MK, EPCOT, DD, and DHS. DAK could be serviced by a mostly ground level light rail loop.
Now you're just going to add inconvenience. You're not only increasing the travel time between destinations but also increasing the number of people going. This is why people dislike the bus service at the All Star Resorts, because depending on traffic patterns you could be waiting if your not interested in being crammed in like a sardine. It's not happening. You're just looking for stuff you want to see.

Beholder

With all of the on again, off again things surrounding DTD, I certainly hope that when they do decide (if ever) to announce something, it's well worth this insane waiting game. I'm not privy to WDW internal problems or the process of decision making, but speaking from the outside, it's frustrating that such a valuable piece of real-estate has been in limbo for so long.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom