Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

Sage of Time

In my experience, most current types of artificial field surface do a really great job of quickly clearing moisture... until they don't.

The performance of the turf in wet situations is directly dependent on the way the site was prepped. I don't remember seeing enough site prep photos to verify if the install was done this way, but usually you'd prefer to see a concrete curb and gutter system installed first, followed by backfills of gravel then sand, before the turf is laid.

Under average conditions, this setup would last about 10 years, before the mat would need replaced and the undersurface to be compacted and reset. I'm not sure how the nightly traffic at a place like WDW, which will be much more sedentary than the active movement these surfaces are usually designed for, will affect the lifespan of the product.
I really expect the fake turf areas to only be open at night and for entertainment viewing. It'll last, that way. And if not- it can't be too hard to refurb the area in about a week.

Goofyernmost

i really like it as well but I'll probably be wrong ;)
No just less retentive then some. The bottom line is that living causes cancer. There is evidence that exposure to certain things have been responsible for cancer in some people. It can be determined that exposure to anything in our world can cause cancer to some people. There is a point when one just makes the decision that they are not going to stop living just so they can keep living. Standing on that turf is not going to give anyone cancer in a wide open location with constant and steady air flow. Now rolling around on it naked or attempting to eat it might be of some concern, but, other then that, I wouldn't spend much time worrying about it. I doubt that most people will not see any difference visually other then it is always nicely groomed.

WDWLover#1

No just less retentive then some. The bottom line is that living causes cancer. There is evidence that exposure to certain things have been responsible for cancer in some people. It can be determined that exposure to anything in our world can cause cancer to some people. There is a point when one just makes the decision that they are not going to stop living just so they can keep living. Standing on that turf is not going to give anyone cancer in a wide open location with constant and steady air flow. Now rolling around on it naked or attempting to eat it might be of some concern, but, other then that, I wouldn't spend much time worrying about it. I doubt that most people will not see any difference visually other then it is always nicely groomed.
When the hell did cancer come into it? I just liked the colour!

Goofyernmost

When the hell did cancer come into it? I just liked the colour!
I'm not sure why it offended you that I worded it that way, because I was telling you why a number of people in this thread are being unnecessarily negative about this event. Cancer came into it because a whole lot more of that possible threat, not really proven, is being emphasized then it deserves. That is the major basis of the argument against the usage and in the end will have nothing but a positive affect on the looks of the hub. I surely didn't disagree with you. I just added to it.

wogwog

You'd hope they telescope into the ground during daytime and firework and projection shows wouldn't you? Surely they're not sticking additional tall objects into the sky in a fireworks viewing area.
They are not going to telescope in any way. They are at least 6 maybe 8 feet taller than the new lamp posts. I believe I saw about ten of them in various spots in the Hub. Most have multiple spot lights and some other smaller items that might be sensors for something or other at the top. I can see them being a minor obstruction to a castle view or Wishes viewing if they are in your line of sight.

Victor Kelly

Use of excessive vowels causes cancer.

Yay for twinkle lights! I know the word "magic" is over-used in WDW, but the twinkle lights are magical and have been sorely missed (by me). I associate them with childhood.

AEIOU AEIOUAEIOUAEIOUAEIOUAEIOUAEIOUAEIOUAEIOUAEIOUAEIOUAEIOUAEIOUAEIOUAEIOUAEIOUAEIOUAEIOUAEIOU

Like that?:D:p

Some people just like to be negative. Complain about everything all the time. They don't stop to see WDW for what it is, a place to forget about reality.

Cesar R M

Here's a better picture of the new grass.View attachment 83476
Photo by @cmdisbrow (Twitter)
wow, they work fast.. heres the photos I took from the 10th to the 16th.

(next to walt's statue)
DSC_0275.JPG

DSC_0276.JPG

DSC_0277.JPG

DSC_0278.JPG

Left hub area (right infront of Crystal's buffet)
20150210_171650.jpg

20150210_171653.jpg

20150210_171730.jpg

Cesar R M

listening to your comment is giving me cancer ;) :hilarious:

sorry, after reading your comment I had to make that joke!

roj2323

wow, they work fast.. heres the photos I took from the 10th to the 16th.

(next to walt's statue)
View attachment 83792
View attachment 83793

Removing concrete is pretty fast actually. Having done it for years myself I can say they make it easy by saw cutting it into large pieces that can easily be picked up with forks and load onto trucks. I fully expect to see the concrete going back in within a week and if they really push it they can have concrete laid in 3.

Cesar R M

Removing concrete is pretty fast actually. Having done it for years myself I can say they make it easy by saw cutting it into large pieces that can easily be picked up with forks and load onto trucks. I fully expect to see the concrete going back in within a week and if they really push it they can have concrete laid in 3.
hu, I was talking about the progress on the newest photos (aka the sides almost all ready with fake turf)

The Duck

Use of excessive vowels causes cancer.

Yay for twinkle lights! I know the word "magic" is over-used in WDW, but the twinkle lights are magical and have been sorely missed (by me). I associate them with childhood.
One night in the early 80's, I was walking through the Hub with all of the twinkling lights when a mother walked by with her young daughter. The little girl was looking at the lights and said, "Walt Disney is an amazing man!". She was too young to know or understand that Walt had been dead since I was her age but something as simple as those lights made a huge impression on her and her reaction made a huge impression on me.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
They are not going to telescope in any way. They are at least 6 maybe 8 feet taller than the new lamp posts. I believe I saw about ten of them in various spots in the Hub. Most have multiple spot lights and some other smaller items that might be sensors for something or other at the top. I can see them being a minor obstruction to a castle view or Wishes viewing if they are in your line of sight.
Thanks for your observation.

What an shame and what a wasted opportunity.

Sage of Time

No chance of them being temporary and for the workers?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom