Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

Victor Kelly

The turrets most likely contain lighting and sound systems.

As for the grass, The Camden Yards stadium in Baltimore uses something similar for drainage. When the stadium was built, it was kind of the pioneer application. The newest generation of fake grass is probably slip resistant, not slip proof, aids in drainage, and had the added benefit of no mud, low upkeep, etc. But for it to be effective, if must have an underlying drainage system due to Florida weather, which means easily drains the afternoon storm water off for the nightime shows.

wogwog

I had relatives in town last Thursday in the park and since I have no desire to navigate the FP fiasco I
took a walk around while the others attempted to figure out how to link off property tickets, on property tickets, an AP and a cast comp. Guest Relations got a big fail.

But to your fear, the spot where Walt and Mickey have been is still covered by the equivalent of a box. If they were to be removed I think they would be gone by now. I believe they are just being protected from the construction debris flying around and careless workers.

Ember

Just booked my fp+ for Wishes in April and it says Main Street Plaza Gardens Viewing Area. I, for one, am looking forward to it! The new area looks great and while we loved watching it from the rose garden, this new area will give a much better view of the show :)

Sage of Time

New hub trees will have twinkle lights.

B-Ks8buCIAAQsfK.jpg

B-Ks8buCIAAQsfK.jpg

PREMiERdrum

Actually I find the fake turf is less slippery then grass. No mud, no wet grass. If anything they've likely designed it to drain water below as it falls.

In my experience, most current types of artificial field surface do a really great job of quickly clearing moisture... until they don't.

The performance of the turf in wet situations is directly dependent on the way the site was prepped. I don't remember seeing enough site prep photos to verify if the install was done this way, but usually you'd prefer to see a concrete curb and gutter system installed first, followed by backfills of gravel then sand, before the turf is laid.

Under average conditions, this setup would last about 10 years, before the mat would need replaced and the undersurface to be compacted and reset. I'm not sure how the nightly traffic at a place like WDW, which will be much more sedentary than the active movement these surfaces are usually designed for, will affect the lifespan of the product.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom