Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

PREMiERdrum

The light towers look pretty dang permanent... The sloppy hang and wiring makes me think the tops haven't been treated yet. But I think the poles are here to stay. They've been painted go away green.

RandySavage

Thanks for the photo update.

Since one of the goals of the project was to create unobstructed views of the castle, I'm surprised the telescoping system used at other parks (see the dozens of highly-themed boxes at DisneySea below) wasn't used for those big parade lighting rigs:

With no mature trees going anywhere near them, those poles are really going to stick out in perpetuity.

Cesar R M

Since one of the goals of the project was to create unobstructed views of the castle, I'm surprised the telescoping system used at other parks (see the dozens of highly-themed boxes at DisneySea below) wasn't used for those big parade lighting rigs:

With no mature trees going anywhere near them, those poles are really going to stick out in perpetuity.

very clever system to hide the speakers!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

But they saved money...

Mike S

Too expensive. Don't you know Disney is a business?

wogwog

Yes they do stand out. Nothing subtle about them.

JeffH

Wonder how much extra area they have created? Did it double, triple, quadruple?
Good viewing for the castle shows as well.

kap91

A good benefit of fake grass vs. asphalt is that standing on fake grass (like a rug) is less stressful on the feet, so waiting in a crowd (or sitting) will be much more "comfortable".

Fake grass makes sense, people are going to be standing on it every night.

But

Why are there no new trees that aren't 4ft tall topiaries? Seriously, this is an issue. I get that mature trees is asking for too much this day and age but surely we can compromise in between?

Blairnicol

SO I get that they will be using this area for FP+ viewing and FL rain+grass+people=mud pit...but I just don't know about the astro turf.....fingers crossed that the fake stuff doesn't stick out like a sore thumb when it's all done!

PREMiERdrum

Fake grass makes sense, people are going to be standing on it every night.

But

Why are there no new trees that aren't 4ft tall topiaries? Seriously, this is an issue. I get that mature trees is asking for too much this day and age but surely we can compromise in between?

There are plenty of new, mature trees around the outer ring of the hub. The inner areas are clear for castle viewing.

SO I get that they will be using this area for FP+ viewing and FL rain+grass+people=mud pit...but I just don't know about the astro turf.....fingers crossed that the fake stuff doesn't stick out like a sore thumb when it's all done!

In my experience, these types of materials look much more realistic in person. They've got a sheen that sticks out quite a bit on camera.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom