Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

lobelia

I saw the shine on the artificial turf a lot during the college bowl games. Different stadiums had different looks, but many created a shine to the camera. Annoyingly so. Some with brighter green grass did not seem to reflect.

JeffH

No. There's also no chance of me wasting a FP+ on this viewing site and being unable to use my "extra FP+" all day.
Unless you are a Passholder planning on arriving late to begin your holiday, then when you arrive you're all set up with a premium start to your vacation.
That's one of my favorite ways to start a vacation, sleep in, drive up (no rush to get there when the "ropes drop"), check in, hit a park for a short evening of fun, maybe a nice dinner somewhere special...the best time of the day. No long dragged out day, cooler, night shows.
But I agree, I will never waste a FastPass+ on a night show for the same reason.

ToTBellHop

Unless you are a Passholder planning on arriving late to begin your holiday, then when you arrive you're all set up with a premium start to your vacation.
That's one of my favorite ways to start a vacation, sleep in, drive up (no rush to get there when the "ropes drop"), check in, hit a park for a short evening of fun, maybe a nice dinner somewhere special...the best time of the day. No long dragged out day, cooler, night shows.
But I agree, I will never waste a FastPass+ on a night show for the same reason.
Apparently Disney feels a lot of people will. If they don't want to preschedule for the reasons listed here, and there are openings as an "extra FP+" an hour or two before the show, I'd happily book it. Just have to see how it plays out. There's a lot of space here.

kap91

There are plenty of new, mature trees around the outer ring of the hub. The inner areas are clear for castle viewing.

Well that's encouraging...so dislike that I can't go and see these things for myself easily anymore. Hopefully they'll add some to the interior

Mickey_777

I think everything looks very good. I don't like the car muffler looking light posts though and I fear even the artificial grass is going to get tore up over time. Especially by anything with wheels carrying a human.

kap91

they WILL NOT. it would destroy what they are trying to do (create space to watch the nighttime spectacle). there will not be any large shade trees going into the inner perimeter of the HUB

But they have them in the concept art and video? I'm not talking giant trees, I'm talking things that aren't those little swirly bushes.

hokielutz

In those photos, the turf looks bad :in pain:. I'm sure it looks better in person though.

Other than that, looks really, really nice.

I had hoped the fake turf areas would be more like the modern football artificial turf surfaces.... sadly it looks like the same material from Fantasia Gardens mini-golf. It just looks out of place with the rest of the work they did to the hub.

But speaking of the 'real turf'... that sod is not looking good on the west side of the installation. Its what 1-2 weeks old? Is it the cold weather that's hurting it?

bebert

Astro-turf + Florida heat and sun = OUCH.
Unless this is a new type, that turf is going to generate a ton of heat.
This should be interesting to watch. Are the Plaza Gardens intended for foot traffic? What happens when someone tries to take a seat on the blazing hot astro-turf.

hokielutz

This should be interesting to watch. Are the Plaza Gardens intended for foot traffic? What happens when someone tries to take a seat on the blazing hot astro-turf.

Hot Buns!!
Get yer hot buns here!
Freshly toasted English and Brazilian rolls!

RayTheFirefly

I had hoped the fake turf areas would be more like the modern football artificial turf surfaces.... sadly it looks like the same material from Fantasia Gardens mini-golf. It just looks out of place with the rest of the work they did to the hub.

But speaking of the 'real turf'... that sod is not looking good on the west side of the installation. Its what 1-2 weeks old? Is it the cold weather that's hurting it?
Most likely. It's been potentially record-breakingly cold there.

EdC

Thanks for the photo update.

Since one of the goals of the project was to create unobstructed views of the castle, I'm surprised the telescoping system used at other parks (see the dozens of highly-themed boxes at DisneySea below) wasn't used for those big parade lighting rigs:

With no mature trees going anywhere near them, those poles are really going to stick out in perpetuity.

While others think they didn't hide them because it was cheaper, I bet they didn't hide them because of how frequently shows and parades go through the area. It's not like Tokyo Sea where it's a nightly thing. There are 1-2 parades daily plus the 2-3 shows during the day at the castle, plus two night shows. The darn thing would be going up and down all the time.

Better to leave them fixed in place. They made the right choice.

ABQ

@marni1971 pointed out that it's FieldTurf, if so, it's the same stuff most of the artificial NFL fields are and a butt load of the NCAA fields. It's not Fantasia Gardens mini golf.

As for the heat, I'm not sure it's as hot as the center of the sun. Of course there's spin as this is their own article, but I don't think WDW's lawyers would let them install something that would lead to burnt children and adults alike.

http://www.fieldturf.com/en/artific...iversity-testing-debunks-cooling-technologies

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom