Magic Kingdom No Longer to be Dry

WDWmazprty

I knew the alcohol ban would die before the gum ban.

There's a gum ban??!?
article-1391676-0C4D479900000578-618_306x423.jpg

captainkidd

I fully understand where you are coming from captainkidd and appreciate your position, but if you take the idea of traditions literally (and I love tradition!), then there is/was a tradition for serving alcohol inside of Disneyland. Alcohol (including hard alcohol) is served everyday in Disneyland. That is a fact I think? I also understand that Disneyland has a license to sell alcohol anywhere within the park and on special occasions and private events has done so (but don't quote me on that). Club 33 was a marketing decision and so is the BOG dinner menu. So, I think the purity of Disneyland as a wonderland in which alcohol was forbidden is a myth not a reality.

I really don't know, having never been to Disneyland. I wouldn't be surprised though.

I think a lot of what it is for me is what I've been conditioned to believe. I've been going to WDW since 1986 and it's something that I often wondered about. Why didn't they sell booze at the MK? As I got older and became more interested in the history of both WDW and of Walt Disney, it became fascinating to me.

I can say without a shadow of a doubt - The Magic Kingdom is the most special place on Earth to me. There may be light bulbs out from time to time, and Splash Mountain needs a rehab more than Amanda Bynes, but it is still the most Magical place in the world to me, as lame as that sounds. It's a place where I feel safe, comfortable and innocent. When I see a piece of trash on the ground, I pick it up and throw it away. When I see a water bottle left on the railing of Splash Mountain, I pick it up and throw it away. This all probably seems incredibly lame to most, but it's just how much I love the place. The idea of anything changing the wholesome, pure fantasy I have of the place upsets me a great deal.

flynnibus

Premium Member
as someone who doesn't have a family, unsure if this really bother me... but, it is something Walt believed in so I am irked by it

he also believed men with long hair were trouble makers.. he also ran a company without any females in leadership.. he also didn't openly embrace gays.

when are we going to snap out of it and realize many of Walt's ideas were products of his time, and not timeless in themselves?

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
That is my point. It's all about tradition. And to me, this is TDO just spitting on it to make a few bucks.

Walt never made it a point to express his feeling on having sit-down restaurants in the parks. At least not in any of the books I've read about him.

He made his views on facial hair for CMs known. And banned it. That tradition has been dumped. Just because Walt wanted it a certain way 60 years ago doesn't mean it should stay that way now. Heck, it doesn't even mean Walt would want it that way now.

I understand pining for nostagia and tradition. I hated when the Red Wings moved out of Olympia, the Pistons moved out of Cobo, and the Tigers moved out of Tiger Stadium. I liked the nostalgia and tradition of those locations...but I can also recognize that the new facilities are, objectively, superior. And a good meal with a glass of wine is, to a great many people, superior to one without.

No doubt profits are a motive here. But they are also the motive behind the Carsland makeover of DCA, Profit motivates good things as well as bad. And to many people, wine at dinner, even in FLand, is a good thing.

wilkeliza

I don't see anything wrong with the descision. Guests will most likely not be able to take their unfinished wine or beer with them around the park.

Plus as some have pointed out (not sure if it made it here yet) Walt Disney World already has a liquor licensee for the Magic Kingdom because they have been selling alcohol at private events and special occasions for years now. Now anyone can enjoy a sip of wine or beer with their dinner and not have to be outrageously rich to do so.

I know it will also bring a lot of people back to the parks. My boyfriends parents refuse to eat dinner in the parks because they can not order wine. Their family at every dinner even dinners at home will have one to two glasses with their meal depending on how long it takes. His father would gladly leave the MK every time they go to eat someone that he could have his drink of preference for dinner. It has nothing to do with them being drunkards or bafoons like some people have claimed it has everything to do with a culture of high class that many people are unfamiliar with. Sometimes when I eat out with them we will go to restaurants that will actually scoff at me because most nights I prefer Sprite over wine. So as others have pointed out this is just to cater to business that MK was loosing.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Not sure whens the last time you rode any of the MK Mountains but many children ride them. Infants and toddlers cant ride them but children can and do. There is no need to break tradition and serve alcohol in every single area at the resort. We can have one theme park with no alcohol to avoid any issues that might arise with the consumption of alcohol, especially in a park that is primarily enjoyed by children and family, or by the child at heart.

I never said that was a Need to break tradition, but you are arguing that there is a Need not to.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yeah - I don't see how anyone could dare call you condescending.

Seriously, do you ever post just for the fun of it, or just to insult people?

or maybe get thicker skin and realize the post was highlighting your 'threats' have little bite and carry little impact when you change with the wind. You just didn't like getting called out for what would probably be more empty words..

ddbowdoin

he also believed men with long hair were trouble makers.. he also ran a company without any females in leadership.. he also didn't openly embrace gays.

when are we going to snap out of it and realize many of Walt's ideas were products of his time, and not timeless in themselves?

lol... as your typical white American male none of those groups affect me.

Gender divide... it's 2012 and they still can't close it. There's been enough studies to show that males are more cutthroat and survive better in corporate culture. Let's toss the PC police and face reality.

Didn't openly embrace gays... so? why should he or anyone else? I'm not saying I agree or disagree with that, but if you support equality, then you should so across the board, not just with people who agree with your opinion.

Long hair... hey, again... we write the rules, you have to live in them. Suits, clean cut... that's how it's always been

Prof Ecks

I really don't know, having never been to Disneyland. I wouldn't be surprised though.

I think a lot of what it is for me is what I've been conditioned to believe. I've been going to WDW since 1986 and it's something that I often wondered about. Why didn't they sell booze at the MK? As I got older and became more interested in the history of both WDW and of Walt Disney, it became fascinating to me.

I can say without a shadow of a doubt - The Magic Kingdom is the most special place on Earth to me. There may be light bulbs out from time to time, and Splash Mountain needs a rehab more than Amanda Bynes, but it is still the most Magical place in the world to me, as lame as that sounds. It's a place where I feel safe, comfortable and innocent. When I see a piece of trash on the ground, I pick it up and throw it away. When I see a water bottle left on the railing of Splash Mountain, I pick it up and throw it away. This all probably seems incredibly lame to most, but it's just how much I love the place. The idea of anything changing the wholesome, pure fantasy I have of the place upsets me a great deal.

Very well said. I feel much the same way.

orky8

or maybe get thicker skin and realize the post was highlighting your 'threats' have little bite and carry little impact when you change with the wind. You just didn't like getting called out for what would probably be more empty words..

At least this post wasn't condesending. Oh, wait. Darn. Maybe the next one (in which you will probably insult me for having a viewpoint that is different than yours).

SPMTCP2003

Hmm. The tone of this thread is becoming a bit un-Disney-like. Here's getting back to the topic:

Love this comment on the Disney Parks Blog:

"Tim on September 13th, 2012 at 5:16 pm

This is a fairly monumental announcement – the presence of alcohol at the Magic Kingdom.
Any word on whether or not “Gray Stuff” will be on the menu at Be Our Guest, the “dishes” keep hyping it."
-​
images
Ha! I, for one, would love to see this on the menu. :D

Mr_Incredible

People do know you can take a monorail, bar hop, and go back to magic kingdom right? If this is an issue about drunks folks taking over MK...there are ways around it. Google "pregaming" happens all the time. Doesnt mean it will now. Who really gets "wasted" with a dinner anyways? If there were shots available, or tall mixed drinks, I may understand a bit more.....but its beer and wine with DINNER.....I don't see the reason for fuss honestly.

Mickey_777

I personally don't drink but this move doesn't bother me. I eat out at places that serve alcohol and I've never had a problem so as long as it's confined to the restaurant, it's all good IMO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom