Magic Kingdom No Longer to be Dry

PolynesianPrincess

For the same reason people were upset with the closing of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. The ride was lame, but it was a classic. Tradition. That means a lot to Disney purists.

I guess I understand that. I for one was upset at the closing of Toad but things change and traditions change, sometimes not for the better, but, it happens. Now if they start serving alcohol at little kiosks and people are takign shots of Jager in Fantasyland then yeah, I would have a serious issue with that.

ddbowdoin

I'm not bothered by it because I have a family. Not in the least bit. If I were, I wouldn't take them anywhere. Like you, I'm bothered because it wasn't what Walt wanted. It's something Disney had done fine without for 41 years at the park. It's a tradition that wasn't necessary to break. If you can't get through a French themed meal without alcohol, then you've got some issues. Like you said, next it will be Casey's and people will be defending that saying "Hot dog and a beer - Makes perfect sense."

BEER AND PIZZA

BEER AND WINGS

WINE AND PIZZA...

there are countless combinations, people like getting F'd up lol

Disneyhead'71

My guess that the main impetus for this is Disney is actually going for a real fine dining experience. Not the Disneyfied little girl tea party version where we pretend that we are having a fine dining experience.

M.rudolf

Like I said before, I don't like the decision, but I can deal with it if they contain it to just the 1 restaurant. If they start making excuses why they should sell it all over the park, then I'm gonna have a major issue with it. I wouldn't put anything past this current team that's in charge in Orlando. They'd close the CoP and sell off the parts if they saw a sizable enough profit in it for them.
I agree that this is the gateway for them to get it in the park, they wouldn't just sell cop they sell everything if they could justify it

twirlintigger

I am sorry but I don't like this one bit. I really enjoyed the fact that they kept MK a dry park like Walt wanted. All these changes that the new heads are bringing in I don't like one bit. They are killing his dream and it is just sad.

ddbowdoin

If letting people drink a beer with dinner is REALLY what you think is going to or has ruined Walt's legacy, you haven't been paying much attention.

no, I disagree with you...

1.) in terms how how maintenance and attraction development has gone, it is purely subjective.
2.) this is something WALT actually dictated.. so yes, this is a direct disregard of his vision

captainkidd

Ever seen Gangs of New York? Fantastic, underrated movie. One of my favorite quotes of all time:

"The past is the torch that lights our way. The world turns, but we don't feel it move. And one night you look up...one spark, and the sky's on fire."

@WDWForTwo

For the same reason people were upset with the closing of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. The ride was lame, but it was a classic. Tradition. That means a lot to Disney purists.

In Boston Mass, the Celebration of Christmas was outlawed from 1659-1681. So I guess, NOT celebrating Christmas would have been considered a tradition there. That really is a shame, that they didn't continue NOT celebrating Christmas. I mean, who would ever get rid of a tradition?

WDWmazprty

Well, in the opinion of many, Walt's dream and legacy has been ruined for awhile with the way the parks have changed throughout the years and how the the company has been run. I don't think adding alcohol to MK will be a drastic change. Plus, in comparison to Epcot, you could call MK a dry park with one wet spot =)

captainkidd

In Boston Mass, the Celebration of Christmas was outlawed from 1659-1681. So I guess, NOT celebrating Christmas would have been considered a tradition there. That really is a shame, that they didn't continue NOT celebrating Christmas. I mean, who would ever get rid of a tradition?

Good analogy.:rolleyes:

Disneyhead'71

no, I disagree with you...

1.) in terms how how maintenance and attraction development has gone, it is purely subjective.
2.) this is something WALT actually dictated.. so yes, this is a direct disregard of his vision

Yet, Walt built a restaurant that sells alcohol in his park. And the "Tradition" that wasn't really a tradition anyway, went out the window in Oct. '82 when EPCOT Center opened.

lazyboy97o

You keep trying to make this about those who are somehow in tune with Walt and those who are not. We don't know and the literal obsession with "What would Walt do?" was a crippling handicap. There is a difference between following a spirit and just following the status quo of half a century ago.

SPMTCP2003

Love this comment on the Disney Parks Blog:

"Tim on September 13th, 2012 at 5:16 pm

This is a fairly monumental announcement – the presence of alcohol at the Magic Kingdom.
Any word on whether or not “Gray Stuff” will be on the menu at Be Our Guest, the “dishes” keep hyping it."
-​
images
Ha! I, for one, would love to see this on the menu. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom