Magic Kingdom No Longer to be Dry

captainkidd

Yet, Walt built a restaurant that sells alcohol in his park. And the "Tradition" that wasn't really a tradition anyway, went out the window in Oct. '82 when EPCOT Center opened.

That wasn't throwing out tradition. That was trying to keep his dream alive the only realistic way they knew how. Walt's vision of EPCOT was a wonderful one, but not a realistic one.

ddbowdoin

That wasn't throwing out tradition. That was trying to keep his dream alive the only realistic way they knew how. Walt's vision of EPCOT was a wonderful one, but not a realistic one.

100% correct... many believe if Walt lived longer and actually developed EPCOT as he saw fit that it would have bankrupted the corporation

nytimez

I've seen some people pretty drunk at EPCOT as they were doing the "Drinking Around the World" but I don't think "Drinking at It's a Small World" will have quite the same draw.

To the contrary, think of how awesome the ride would be if the little dolls served local booze as you passed through each land.

Heck, I'd never get out of the boat.

lazyboy97o

Well.....Yeah. To me, that's what it is about.
It is a silly, arrogant position. There was context to that decision, one of which was that Disneyland opened with concessionaires and the sale of alcohol would not be easily controlled. There were certain environmental expectations that at one point were solidified by results at Holidayland. But nowhere is there ever a complete hard line drawn. No more than the dress code really. The issue was tested and was being pushed. While Club 33 is private an not the best counterpoint in my book, it was intended as part of using the experience of Disneyland being used to encourage potential Disneyland and EPCOT sponsors. If the experience is good enough then why did Walt not seek for Disneyland to sell itself? Because context is key. The context was different and changing. It's a tradition that was not static to Walt and one that somehow got stuck after he passed.

@WDWForTwo

You lost me with that one.

You're saying it IS a battle between those who are "Walt Followers" and those who are not. You are labeling people based on their opinion. -These people=good. These people=bad.

I always thought Walt wanted everybody to be treated equally and have fun in his parks.

"To ALL who enter this happy place, welcome."

Not...."To all of those people who agree with me about everything, welcome, those of you who don't, have fun at Universal."

Disneyhead'71

I wasn't really talking about Walt's vision of EPCOT. I was pointing out that the Disney Co. started the full on sale of alcohol in their parks in Oct. of 1982. Walt's edict wasn't "I don't want alcohol sold in our Magic Kingdom parks, but all others are fair game." Walt didn't want alcohol sold in his (The Disney Co.) parks.

tomman710

Either way ... they are doing it. Now "tradition" is already broke ... no point in limiting it. My hope (in reality it is more of a delusion) is that they serve alcohol in all the logical places Taverns, Aloha Isle, etc ... and with the mounds of added revenue ... FIX STUFF.

captainkidd

You're saying it IS a battle between those who are "Walt Followers" and those who are not. You are labeling people based on their opinion. -These people=good. These people=bad.

I always thought Walt wanted everybody to be treated equally and have fun in his parks.

"To ALL who enter this happy place, welcome."

Not...."To all of those people who agree with me about everything, welcome, those of you who don't, have fun at Universal."

I don't think it's a battle at all. This has nothing to do with guests who are for this decision. To be honest, I don't blame them. It's perfectly understandable to have a beer or glass of wine with dinner. I like to do it myself. It's about that slippery slope they're skiing on and how far they (they being Disney) will let it go.

cornandacobb

Am I surprised by this announcement? Extremely.
Am I upset? Not in the least bit.

Alcohol at a restaurant = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Hopefully, more $ made at MK = more upgrades, more refurbs, more attractions at MK.

I wonder how Walt would feel about:
Next Generation Fastpass
Attractions with non-working parts
Nescafe as an excuse for coffee
Goatees instead of moustaches
$14 parking
Stitch's Great Escape

As people have stated, Walt had an extremely open mind and was very open to change.

captainkidd

I wasn't really talking about Walt's vision of EPCOT. I was pointing out that the Disney Co. started the full on sale of alcohol in their parks in Oct. of 1982. Walt's edict wasn't "I don't want alcohol sold in our Magic Kingdom parks, but all others are fair game." Walt didn't want alcohol sold in his (The Disney Co.) parks.

Yeah, that's a tough one. Walt never saw theme parks as anything more than the Magic Kingdom's. I think the Disney company have always used that as their excuse (as if they need one) for selling booze in other parks, but not the Magic Kingdom.

nytimez

100% correct... many believe if Walt lived longer and actually developed EPCOT as he saw fit that it would have bankrupted the corporation

"They" said that about just about every major project Walt embarked on. Sometimes, "they" were even close to being right.

But, I think the whole "What Walt wanted" argument is a nonstarter on this or any other topic unless you've been in the crypt under Pirates and spoken to his frozen head.

Prof Ecks

I fully understand where you are coming from captainkidd and appreciate your position, but if you take the idea of traditions literally (and I love tradition!), then there is/was a tradition for serving alcohol inside of Disneyland. Alcohol (including hard alcohol) is served everyday in Disneyland. That is a fact I think? I also understand that Disneyland has a license to sell alcohol anywhere within the park and on special occasions and private events has done so (but don't quote me on that). Club 33 was a marketing decision and so is the BOG dinner menu. So, I think the purity of Disneyland as a wonderland in which alcohol was forbidden is a myth not a reality.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom