Magic Kingdom No Longer to be Dry

sgtmgd

Interesting. This was the standard when EPCOT first opened. Alcohol could only be purchased at TS restaurants with food,and could not be removed from the premises. I can't remember when the change was made to include counter service restaurants, and then eventually they added the kiosks.
Yes..as with anything else the demand will drive what happens from here...Im not upset with the decision, I havent seen "drunken guest" issues at DHS or EPCOT...Im sure Disney will take staeps to ensure it doesnt happen often

cornandacobb

The only time I encountered any drunkeness in WDW was my trip in 2006.
We were staying at the Yacht Club, first floor with a lakeview room. Open the sliding glass door and there is a wonderful lawn.
It was during Food Wine Festival. Chubby Checker had played Eat to the Beat this particular evening and lucky for us, members of his backing band were staying right next door to me. At about 3 in the morning, the band came stumbling back drunk from wherever they had been and proceeded to hoot and holler for quite some time. They had music playing and it seemed like there was about 10 people in the room. It woke me and my wife up....luckily my 2 and 6 year old were conked out. The festivities carried out to the lawn at some point. I peeked thorugh the curtains and saw one guy passed out spread eagle on the lawn.
I'm not one to ever cause a fuss. I am pretty laid back and extremely laid back on vacation. And I'm not out to ruin anyone's good time.
But this carrying on was getting out of hand and disturbing my sleep. On top of that, I paid some hefty $$ to stay at this family oriented deluxe resort.
So I had to pull the trigger and call the front desk. Shortly thereafter everything calmed down and the noise stopped.

ScarForKing

My objection with alcohol in the Magic Kingdom may be overly romanticized, but in my view the MK represents a society that is better than ours...one that doesn't exist. To me the MK is warm apple pie and barbershop quartets. This is one small step towards making the MK more "worldly" rather than WORLDly. At the end of the day this is no big deal, but it's another incremental step toward making this place just like everywhere else. Oh well, I think I just need a drink.

I checked this thread simply because I knew I would be seeing quite the heated argument going on. And I wasn't disappointed. The one complaint that I always get the biggest kick out of is "they're only doing it for the money". Well, of course they are! No matter how much Walt ever sugar coated his films and projects for the public, the bottom line was that everything was being done to make a buck. And why is that bad? You can't run a successful business without it. And if you can't run a successful business that makes money, you won't have the money to make further films and projects to further impress the public (and yes, the shareholders). If Walt didn't understand the need to make a buck, he would have opened a Disneyland that didn't have stores trying to sell stuff.

captainkidd

My objection with alcohol in the Magic Kingdom may be overly romanticized, but in my view the MK represents a society that is better than ours...one that doesn't exist. To me the MK is warm apple pie and barbershop quartets. This is one small step towards making the MK more "worldly" rather than WORLDly. At the end of the day this is no big deal, but it's another incremental step toward making this place just like everywhere else. Oh well, I think I just need a drink.

Exacatigly.

PirateFrank

Anyone thinking that some booze in the MK is going to remove it's "specialness", clearly doesn't know *why* the MK is special to begin with....

wdwjmp239

Dang it.

Keep alcohol out of a family park! There are a million other places to drink.

I think it would ok if they just kept it IN the restaurant where they're offering alcohol. I know in Florida, we have an "Open Wine Botttle Law" that says if you order a bottle of wine in a restaurant and you don't finish it, your waiter/waitress can re-cork the bottle and seal it so you can bring it home. Now, if they do this for the people visiting Disneyworld, there's going to be alot of drinkin' going on which could pose an issue.

The only thing I can say is...it's too early to tell. Let's wait it out and see what happens.

lazyboy97o

This view though only works if you have some sort if predisposition against alcohol, seeing its non existence as better. Regardless if you drink or not, you can still think a world without is somehow better.

And not every place sells alcohol. There are still dry cities and counties in this country. In some parts of the world having alcohol is not just taboo, but a severe crime.

That all said, Walt's opposition to alcohol in Disneyland was NOT a question specifically about alcohol. He served it in one of his first concession operations right outside the gate in what is now New Orleans Square. He ha concerns about behaviors that have since changed. The evidence suggests a decision of context, not a general position on alcohol.

disneyeater

Hey, maybe you don't give a crap about what Walt wanted, and what has always been a constant at the park, but I do. This isn't like saying "Well, the Magic Kingdom has never been open for 24 hours, so let's try that." Just because it's something new doesn't mean it's breaking tradition. This IS breaking tradition.

I have 2 responses to this, one has been made many times, and one might have me in the minority, but it is the way I feel:

A. No one know what Walt would want in 2012.

B. I kind of don't give a crap about what Walt would want.

I love Disney and the parks. I respect the crap out of Walt and what he was able to accomplish. I think he was a visonary and really took the idea of an amusement park way past the next level.

That said, I go to Disney World because I enjoy it. If there is a change that makes the experience better for me and others, I am for it whether Walt would be or not. It is not a museum, it is a theme park and should strive to make the best guest experience possible.

That is not to say I don't have a nostalgic side. I never want to see CoP go because I feel the ride has historical significance and brings a piece of Walt into the Magic Kingdom. Beards, drinking, long hair....not historically significant, just rules he put in place to give people what he thought would be the best guest experience.

Just a question, is there anyting left of the "speicalness" of Disney's ideal Magic Kingdom?

Visting Magic Kingdom used to mean, clean shaven, short hair, no mustaches or beards, and no alcohol. All of that has changed.

I think its just chipping away at what made Magic Kingdom unique. People can argue that "times change" but the whole idea of MK was supposed to be a different kind of reality, separate from the outside world. I don't think alcohol is more necessary than it used to be, or is more required by people when planning their vacations.

If you really think that this is what makes Disney World and the Magic Kingdom unique, then I don't know what to say. If I ask Disney fans what makes the Magic Kingdom/Disneyland so much better than theme/amusment parks around the rest of the world, I am not sure these things would even come up in 1% of those surveys.

I don't see how "changing with the times" and serving booze should be associated with one another. As just about everyone has pointed out, booze is sold EVERYWHERE on Disney property. Can't they leave one place dry?

Totally agree with this. While I don't have an issue with the change, I fail to see how it has anything to do with "the times". I wouldn't have had an issue if they left it dry just as I don't have an issue with serving alcohol in the park.

i agree with this 1000%. i dont want my kids to lose thier sense of magic about the place because of some drunken moron walking around staggering and being disruptive. keep it IN the restaraunt Disney please!!!

Maybe I am super lucky, but I have been to Disney a number of times and I just don't see a bunch of drunks walking around the other parks. Even if I were to conceed that there have been some people with a serious buzz in Epcot, I don't see it in the other parks at all. I think it has more to do with the setup of World Showcase than the fact that there is alcohol available.

In June I saw a drunk guy trying to get into the MK. I think he may have come off of the monorail and had a red plastic cup filled with his beverage of choice. He was obviously drunk and stumbling a little. Security stopped him at the gate. They had about 5 guys surround him in less than a minute. Not sure if my story has a point. Your post just reminded me of it.

Not sure why, but wanted to let you know I enjoyed your pointless story :)

Goofyernmost

Once again, Walt started selling booze in his Magic Kingdom at one table service restaurant in 1967. So, since Walt did it, how is the MK doing it going against Walt's legacy?

How, pray tell, did he do that, he died in 1966!

He might have left a note. :D I admittedly have no real knowledge about the ins an outs of Club 33. But there is a chance that there was alcohol there before Walt died. Again, though, it was not open to the public and I'll bet that consumption was highly controlled.

Goofyernmost

I wasn't really talking about Walt's vision of EPCOT. I was pointing out that the Disney Co. started the full on sale of alcohol in their parks in Oct. of 1982. Walt's edict wasn't "I don't want alcohol sold in our Magic Kingdom parks, but all others are fair game." Walt didn't want alcohol sold in his (The Disney Co.) parks.

The problem with that is that at the time of his death Disneyland was ALL the Disney Parks. The other, in Florida, was just on paper. And if he had meant it to cover all the parks he knew of, that would still just be Disneyland and Magic Kingdom. The others hadn't entered into the thought process yet. EPCOT Ctr. was supposed to be an actual functioning city, not a theme park.

pumpkin7

Sorry, I haven't read much of the thread really, but a good point is that didn't Walt specifically say that the MK should remain dry as it is a family orientated park? I mean, I'm sure that will never change in DLR but surely this just shows that they are further trying to distance themselves from Walt? They got rid of 'Walt Disney' at the beginning of Disney movies, and now this?

Or maybe I am just over reacting but you know... Maybe it's just a sign of the times.

Besides, evening means ADRs right? So it's not like it's every man and his dog can get in and get a beer. A drunk dog, now there would be a sight...

Edit: there you go, post above mine says about the same thing. Told you I hadn't read the entire thread :p sorry!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom