Magic Kingdom No Longer to be Dry

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Really unnecessary to add beer and wine to a menu at the Magic Kingdom.

I'm not entirely sure it is necessary.

I have to agree that adding beer and wine was not necessary. The restaurant would have done well without it. I would still eat there. Most other people would too. I don't think it was done out of necessity. It was done to enhance guest's experience and make some extra money. Serving counter service lunch on real china instead of paper plates is not necessary either. They could have added a Beauty and the Beast themed restaurant that was not nearly as elaborate with a more generic menu. At the end of the day this restaurant has to be pretty profitable to justify the cost to build and upkeep. Alcohol sales will add to this profitability.

flavious27

The difference is at DL it's a full bar with "VIP" guests. People could really get ripped and stumble out into the park. At BOG you have to be seated for dinner to get served and only beer and wine. In my opinion a club with a full bar is a lot more likely to result in drunk guests. Just because people are labeled VIPs or have the money to buy a membership doesn't mean they will behave better or have more class. Watch TMZ any night to see how well behaved VIPs sometimes are.

If you get smashed at club 33 and walk around park drunk, you could lose your membership. As for those on tmz, those are not the same people that have membership at club 33.

flavious27

Having to make a reservation 6 months out, pretty much makes it a private club.

Nobody will be able to walk up and get in.

Well it will be difficult to get a table, it is the same with Le Cellier though you could get a table if you want to wait atleast an hour.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If you get smashed at club 33 and walk around park drunk, you could lose your membership. As for those on tmz, those are not the same people that have membership at club 33.

Club 33 has a full bar. People seem to dismiss this as OK because it is not open to the general public. My point is that just because people have a membership (and a lot of money) or are brought in because of a corporate sponsorship or some other connection does not mean they will behave any better than the average park guest if they are drunk. I wasn't implying that club 33 was filled with celebrities. My reference to TMZ was just to point out that wealthy people aren't always responsible drunks either.

If they made BOG a members only restaurant like club 33 would that make it better for everyone who doesn't want to see alcohol in the MK?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
If BOG wants to serve beer & wine that's fine. I can't imagine going to a "fine dining" place and being told, "sorry sir we don't have a wine list...but here is our selection of fruit juices and soda pops"

That's exactly what happens at Cindy's Royal Table. "Here's your choice cut of lamb...but no Merlot for you!"

Have you tried our Juice de Orange? It comes from the finest central florida region, and is freshly squeezed!

Dad 2 M & M

That's exactly what happens at Cindy's Royal Table. "Here's your choice cut of lamb...but no Merlot for you!"

Have you tried our Juice de Orange? It comes from the finest central florida region, and is freshly squeezed!
My thoughts exactly! While I am not totally against this, guests have Epcot and DHS as parks that offer booze.

Bairstow

My thoughts exactly! While I am not totally against this, guests have Epcot and DHS as parks that offer booze.

Doesn't the fact that Epcot and DHS (And IOA, for that matter) aren't full of drunken louts prove that there was never nothing wrong with theme parks offering alcohol on the premises?

Dad 2 M & M

Doesn't the fact that Epcot and DHS (And IOA, for that matter) aren't full of drunken louts prove that there was never nothing wrong with theme parks offering alcohol on the premises?

I agree, and that's why I'm not totally against it. I can say I have never seen someone drunken or acting a fool because of drinking at Epcot, DHS, or any other Disney property! The only thing I have against it at all is something inside me does believe that the Magic Kingdom is sacred (for lack of a better term). If I had a vote it would probably be to keep it dry. Don’t misunderstand here, I can certainly live with it.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
My only concern is that it will spread to other locations.

I expressed my concern on the Disney Blog site (prefacing it with a "Bravo....but...") and my comment was deleted...go figure....it must go against there ultimate plans.

Otamin

I personally don't see the issue at all.

It seems like quite an outdated policy to not have any alcohol in my opinion.

Bairstow

"Heh. To hear that beetle talk... you'd think something was going to happen to us."
lampwicklarge2.gif

disneypearl

I am pretty disappointed with the decision to have alcohol at the MK. Hopefully they will only serve it at BoG and will not slowly start to serve at other locations. They are not going to serve it at the quick service lunch, right? Anyway, too bad it isn't a dry park anymore and I am hopeful they will keep it at BoG only.

psukardi

I am pretty disappointed with the decision to have alcohol at the MK. Hopefully they will only serve it at BoG and will not slowly start to serve at other locations. They are not going to serve it at the quick service lunch, right? Anyway, too bad it isn't a dry park anymore and I am hopeful they will keep it at BoG only.

What's wrong with allowing alcohol? Are you afraid a child might see someone drink? Are you afraid a child might see someone intoxicated? If so, then you better keep them away from EPCOT. If it's about some foolish idea of innocence, it's a bit of a stretch too.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Only dinner at BOG. No announcement that it will be available anywhere else. They have had alcohol at exactly one location in DL for decades now. It never spread anywhere else. I am with you that I don't want to see beer carts on Main St or beer served at every counter service location but it is my opinion that we may see alcohol offered at the other sit down restaurants.

Buried20KLeague

people keep tossing out these prices as barriers to drinking more...

$7-$10 isn't expensive for beers honestly. In urban areas, not uncommon for a beer to be $6-$7 at a club. At a sporting event? forget it..

I mean, I enjoy my $4.25 bottled beer at our local townie bar.. but I don't have any delusions that when I head into DC that I expect a sub-$5 beer everywhere.

This is absolutely true. I don't profess to know if this change will spread to other table restaurants or carts (I bet it will), but the prices are no barrier to many.

I sort of find it funny that people WOULD think that price will matter. You're talking about the cost of a drink inside a theme park that is nearing $100 for a ONE DAY TICKET!!! What's an extra $15 for a premuim on a few beers? You're already paying $12 for a combo meal you could find at any fast food joint for $6.

If and when they roll out the Bud Light carts, you'll have PLENTY of dads at the end of the day looking to have one or two while they wait for Wishes to start, and I'd imagine most of them won't think twice about cost.

Buried20KLeague

I'm not a defender of a "dry" MK, but I've got to disagree that there aren't drunks roaming around World Showcase... And not just at F&W. I've seen them every trip, always at the end of the day.

Heck, I was PART of a group like that before and wasn't happy about it. I was at a conference at Universal, and I was trying to talk a group into going to Disney for the day, and the only way I could do it was to suggest drinking around the world at Epcot. Bad plan. I spent the last few hours of the night at Epcot simply trying to keep the group reigned in. These people were far enough gone that they had no sense of the people around them. Cussing around kids, no one could walk in a straight line... That kind of thing. It was so bad at one point that plainclothed security came to me at one point about it because they could tell I was trying to keep them under control.

The worst part was that I thought I could get them back. I dared all of them to ride M:S on the way out of the park. I thought for SURE that would make some of them sick. But no. Not a one. I was bummed by that.

Anyway... Point is... There are ALWAYS drunks in Epcot. The further back in the park you go and the later it gets, the easier they are to find.

As for alcohol in the MK... Eh. Whatev.

Just another money grab by TDO, if you ask me.

Weather_Lady

What's wrong with allowing alcohol? Are you afraid a child might see someone drink? Are you afraid a child might see someone intoxicated? If so, then you better keep them away from EPCOT. If it's about some foolish idea of innocence, it's a bit of a stretch too.

I'm sure I felt as you do once upon a time, too, but now that I have small children, I have a heightened sense of responsibility to protect them from harm, and harmful influences. I'm not "afraid" of them seeing someone imbibe (they see DH and I enjoy good wines and beers on a regular basis), or seeing someone who's had a couple of drinks. I'm "afraid" of them getting stepped on, cursed at, groped or otherwise harassed by people who don't know how to limit their intake or their behavior. Does that mean we'll be avoiding Epcot in the evenings during Food and Wine? You bet it does. I don't take the kids to bars, strip clubs, or fights either. What a prude, right? ;)

That being said, I've already weighed in on Be Our Guest, and my feeling is that as long as people are drinking inside a restaurant and paying top dollar for their alcohol, the chances of a booze-fueled bacchanal around Cinderella Castle are comfortingly low.

EvilQueen-T

have to agree with your sentiment. and it's not just epcot but dhs and ak too. i don't think you'll see a difference in how the crowds act. i don't see any real difference between any of the 4 parks as it is now anyway.

G00fyDad

The arguments here are ridiculous. Both extreme ends of the spectrum. To those who think that there is absolutely nothing wrong with serving alcohol, you're right. There isn't, but take off the rose colored glasses and try to remember that just because you have been blessed enough to not see a fall down drunk at EPCOT or DTD doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. To those that are completely against this, lighten up. It is at a dinner and not a QS location. They are not throwing up a bar and it will not become some Tourists Gone Wild show in MK. I hate beer, always have, but this is something that appeals to a great many people (although they could try to be less "I'm an adult so I can drink lots and lots of beer"). If Disney allows beer to be served at other locations then so be it, but the ideals of MK are still there. If the MK staff see someone drunk they will deal with it, but I doubt that it will ever get that far since the staff will probably cut the person off after the person seems like they have had enough.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom