Magic Kingdom closed to ALL guests due to reaching absolute capacity (phase 4)

DonMuppetFan83

I see that Turkey has answered this already and better than me at this hour ... but I will tell you that money does not equal attractions sadly.

If it did there wouldn't be almost two dozen projects in various states just sitting in deep freeze ... and Disney wouldn't be sitting on its hands with another major anniversary coming up after ignoring some BIG ones since 2001.

This is my first post here. I have been reading the threads here since my girlfriend introduced me to this site. I was wondering if you could shed some light on the various projects sitting around states in deep freeze as I am curious. She likes to think shes the Disney authority but doesn't know the answer to this one lol. Thanks in advance.

talfonso

Glad I Wasn't There That Day!

Coincidentally, the crazy Phase 4 closing occurred on one of my Seasonal Pass block-out dates (4/4-4/17, mind you) - I would have cringed at the long lines at MK! I owe it all to that pass because those invalid dates coincide with most peak seasons, which are crowded times. I blame discounts, school closings for spring break, and (perhaps) tour groups! Oh, an I stayed home and prayed, as I was commemorating Holy Week as a devout Catholic, so no fun on a solemn period for me. :animwink:

talfonso

Nope.
But Liberty Square likely looks kinda like this:
HM010.jpg

And Tomorrowland like this:
3iab+tl+ugh2.jpg

OY VEY!!! :eek:

Bulldog1653

This may sound like a dumb question but has anyone heard how many people Disney anticipates having in September? It's usually pretty quiet but these promotions are helping the number jump a little bit. Thanks in advance.

majorrfb

Epcot 1999

Did Epcot hit a phase 4 on new years in 1999?
My family and I were in traffic trying to get into EPCOT (8:30 a.m.) that day
and the Park was closed. We immediately headed to the Magic Kingdom and stayed all day. I had NEVER SEEN so many people at one park in my life. Epcot did reopen later in the day but we decided to stay put. New Years Day we did go to EPCOT and a CM told us about the drinking and drunk guests and we were much better off at the MK especially with two young kids. Over all, it was an event we will never forget.:wave:

JohnMan

This may sound like a dumb question but has anyone heard how many people Disney anticipates having in September? It's usually pretty quiet but these promotions are helping the number jump a little bit. Thanks in advance.

We're going 9/22-9/29 and I don't anticipate record crowds for Sepetember. I believe the promotions are similiar to what has run over the past few years so I'd expect the crowds to be the same or smaller (based on the economy) than prior years.

Bulldog1653

Thanks, JohnMan. I'm going from 9/17 to 9/27 and staying at one of the value resorts. When I was there last year it wasn't too bad. I think the longest wait we had was 30-40 minutes.

WDW1974

This is my first post here. I have been reading the threads here since my girlfriend introduced me to this site. I was wondering if you could shed some light on the various projects sitting around states in deep freeze as I am curious. She likes to think shes the Disney authority but doesn't know the answer to this one lol. Thanks in advance.

Hi. Sorry it took so long to respond, but been busy and didn't see this until now.

There are upwards of two dozen (yeah that many) projects at WDW that are in various states of approval that have been sitting while management uses the economic disaster as an excuse for not spending.

The majors include a complete redo of Fantasyland facades and structures (most of which are just slightly changed versions of what has existed since 1971). This would include a Little Mermaid E-Ticket attraction/shop at exit, removing the Snow White dark ride and replacing it with one themed to Beauty and the Beast as well as adding a family friendly SW dwarfs mine train coaster. MK would also get a pirate themed dining experience at the abandoned Adventureland Verandah.

EPCOT would see a replacement for the current Illuminations show and new versions of Imagination (total redo of entire pavilion including new 3D film) and Energy. Less solid are a few attraction concepts for World Showcase.

The Studios would see Star Tours 2.0, a coaster based on the doors scene in Monsters Inc and (less solid) a large replacement for the tram tour to nowhere as well as a major new full serve dining facility.

DAK would receive a whole new land with one mega attraction and a few smaller scale ones.

Those are the biggees ... or the ones that were most likely to see the light of day before the recession/depression hit.

If half of the above gets built in the next decade then consider things very fortunate!

~Better late ... than ... dead~

WDW1974

My family and I were in traffic trying to get into EPCOT (8:30 a.m.) that day
and the Park was closed. We immediately headed to the Magic Kingdom and stayed all day. I had NEVER SEEN so many people at one park in my life. Epcot did reopen later in the day but we decided to stay put. New Years Day we did go to EPCOT and a CM told us about the drinking and drunk guests and we were much better off at the MK especially with two young kids. Over all, it was an event we will never forget.:wave:

EPCOT reopened later, but only for resort guests/APers who had already been in the park and had a special stamp (they even put it on APs).

The crowd was the largest I have ever seen at any Disney park, but because of EPCOT's huge walkways wasn't intolerable ... and if you had wanted to stay near say WoL or UoE at midnight you would have been alone except for a few CMs.

The crowd was really great. People were drinking (as they should be) but there were not any major problems. I have seen worse behavior by far on 'normal' days.

It was a great time in a magical place with an atmosphere I'll never forget. I can honestly say there's nowhere I would have rather been that night.

~Pure Magic~

WDW1974

We're going 9/22-9/29 and I don't anticipate record crowds for Sepetember. I believe the promotions are similiar to what has run over the past few years so I'd expect the crowds to be the same or smaller (based on the economy) than prior years.

Those are very safe assumptions.

Buried20KLeague

Hi. Sorry it took so long to respond, but been busy and didn't see this until now.

There are upwards of two dozen (yeah that many) projects at WDW that are in various states of approval that have been sitting while management uses the economic disaster as an excuse for not spending.

The majors include a complete redo of Fantasyland facades and structures (most of which are just slightly changed versions of what has existed since 1971). This would include a Little Mermaid E-Ticket attraction/shop at exit, removing the Snow White dark ride and replacing it with one themed to Beauty and the Beast as well as adding a family friendly SW dwarfs mine train coaster. MK would also get a pirate themed dining experience at the abandoned Adventureland Verandah.

EPCOT would see a replacement for the current Illuminations show and new versions of Imagination (total redo of entire pavilion including new 3D film) and Energy. Less solid are a few attraction concepts for World Showcase.

The Studios would see Star Tours 2.0, a coaster based on the doors scene in Monsters Inc and (less solid) a large replacement for the tram tour to nowhere as well as a major new full serve dining facility.

DAK would receive a whole new land with one mega attraction and a few smaller scale ones.

Those are the biggees ... or the ones that were most likely to see the light of day before the recession/depression hit.

If half of the above gets built in the next decade then consider things very fortunate!

~Better late ... than ... dead~

This one drives me crazy. ABSOLUTELY CRAZY. Here's a dining option they could add to a park that desperately needs another sit down location, and they could probably charge just about whatever they wanted for it. They'd immediately see a return on the investment (as opposed to investing in an attraction which would be harder to tie a direct return and income to), and beyond that, it would restart a revenue stream in a long dormant location.

WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD THEY NOT DO THIS?!?!?!?!?!??!?

It's the perfect example of how it seems they often don't see the forest through the trees. They have no idea how many people would be ecstatic to see the Verandah open again.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
:lol::lol::lol:

You make it sound like a war, Steve!:ROFLOL:

It might as well be...:lookaroun

I was there....it was! :lol:
Actually at park opening it was doable, and at parks other than MK it wasn't too terrible until around noon. After that however, it was like trying to swim against the tide to exit the park.

We were in AK and when you reached any intersection, bodies just stopped, and it took a good ten minutes to get to the other side.
I can't imagine how they would pull off the parade...just nowhere for bodies to go on those thin walkways.

Astro_Digital

This one drives me crazy. ABSOLUTELY CRAZY. Here's a dining option they could add to a park that desperately needs another sit down location, and they could probably charge just about whatever they wanted for it. They'd immediately see a return on the investment (as opposed to investing in an attraction which would be harder to tie a direct return and income to), and beyond that, it would restart a revenue stream in a long dormant location.

WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD THEY NOT DO THIS?!?!?!?!?!??!?

It's the perfect example of how it seems they often don't see the forest through the trees. They have no idea how many people would be ecstatic to see the Verandah open again.

There is a Verandah?
Can not remember one or think of where one may of been. I been going to WDW for 20years,
From what I remember, there is the dole whip place, the tree house, Jungle boat, the useless out of theme Alladin thing, Pirates but I remember no restaurant.

Makes no difference because I am sure if they add 5 sit down restaurant i never be able to get in because people have those meal plans and book them 5 or 6 months in advance.

But where is this location?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom