Little Mermaid Clone a Go! (Maybe)

EPCOT Explorer

The link I read it off of said it was a "behind the scenes: Future World". Never heard of it before, perhaps someone else has :shrug:

I have heard of some of the tours visiting the corporate lounges if not in use of course.

By the way, it looks like there is plenty of room for a "Blue Sky Atrium" in Imagination should they be so inclined.

Edit: found it... http://allears.net/btp/tours.htm#ufw
Or a EPCOT History Center.:lookaroun:D

imagineer boy

Not that it's an excuse, but Disneylands use of fast pass is even worse. The combining of Standby and Fast pass is much earlier in the line (causing a longer wait for fast pass users) at Disneyland.

Oh I know, its TERRIBLE. You have to stand around in the hot outdoor queue and briskly walk through the incredibly themed indoor queue. :brick:

RSoxNo1

Oh I know, its TERRIBLE. You have to stand around in the hot outdoor queue and briskly walk through the incredibly themed indoor queue. :brick:

Yeah, I made this complaint where it's most apparent in the Indiana Jones queue. The fastpass queue should be through the exit, and then meet up with the standby queue in the video projection room. This will allow standby users to wait in the themed queue, as well as further limit the waits for fastpass users. You'd also think that with the length of time used to refurbish Disneyland's Space Mountain they would have set up the fastpass/standby queues much better as well. Disneyland relies on the outdoor switchbacks far more than the indoor queue for many attractions. They also don't seem to have a rigid grasp on the single rider line that is used so effectively in Florida. It's not all better at Disneyland. That being said, the attractions seem to be better staffed so it minimizes wait times that way.

Lee

Adventurer
Wow...spend a couple days trapped in a car and you miss a bit....:snore:

As for LM...
I was told that it is moving forward for eventual addition to the MK. Note I said eventual.
Believe leemac when he says it isn't in the current 5 year plan. (For that matter, put faith in pretty much whatever he says. He is in a position to know all.) That is likely true, however I don't know what years that plan spans.
Anyhow...
What I am hearing is that LM will be developed in conjunction with the version that will be built for Shanghai, the "old build two of everything at once to save money" trick. It will likely be announced sooner, but I wouldn't expect it to open before the 2012-2014 timeframe, at the earliest.

As for WDI....sigh...they are moving (being moved...) into a Uni Creative type situation. The end result could conceivably be a few story and concept men who develop attractions, then farm everything else out to contractors. It can work well in some ways, but represents a complete shift in the Disney way of building parks and attractions.
Personally, I don't like it.:mad:

njDizFan

As for LM...
I was told that it is moving forward for eventual addition to the MK. Note I said eventual.
Believe leemac when he says it isn't in the current 5 year plan. (For that matter, put faith in pretty much whatever he says. He is in a position to know all.) That is likely true, however I don't know what years that plan spans.
Anyhow...
What I am hearing is that LM will be developed in conjunction with the version that will be built for Shanghai, the "old build two of everything at once to save money" trick. It will likely be announced sooner, but I wouldn't expect it to open before the 2012-2014 timeframe, at the earliest.

As for WDI....sigh...they are moving (being moved...) into a Uni Creative type situation. The end result could conceivably be a few story and concept men who develop attractions, then farm everything else out to contractors. It can work well in some ways, but represents a complete shift in the Disney way of building parks and attractions.
Wow Lee, that really is a pretty gloomy post. 5+years before TLM and WDI practically being dissolved. not good.......

jt04

Original Poster
Well...that is phrasing it a bit darker than it actually is...but I prefer the old WDI ways.

Sounds like Sotto and whylightbulb are back in the game. I don't like the position WDI is in either but it makes sense as a purely business decision.

Now to fire the last arrow in my quiver.....

I noticed what seemed like panic set in when Disney seemed to decide to take a "wait and see" approach on responding to TWWoHP. I think many folks on the creative side at the "mouse house" along with myriad fanbois of WDW (enigma, 74 etc) were counting on Uni's addition to spur WDW to do some major adds. When that obviously did not happen, the resulting rage did. I could not understand it for the life of me.

But seeing the facades being built for Potterland and the renderings gave me a theory. TWWoHP could be of WDI quality when all is said and done as some are claiming. And that would mean third parties can create WDI-esque magic. And that is what is causing, what seems like, an over reaction of anger and panic by certain posters to WDW standing pat against this new "threat". Outsourcing has become a real possibility and Disney management likely sees an opportunity to "bid" projects. Leaner, meaner, greener......and timelier!

Technology and modern construction techniques have made the science of imagineering available to many. The same thing will happen throughout all entertainment. Music, television, movies and yes, even theme parks.

Now where's my sketch pad? :)

EPCOT Explorer

The UniDiscoverd Future tour takes you through usually 2 of the lounges.

Oh, you do.
Ooooh, very interesting! Which two do you go through.

I might want to look into saving up for this tour...:king:

As for LM...
Anyhow...

Sheesh.:brick: That's bad news on the TLM front. Why do they have it pushed back so far? What happened to 2011?

As for WDI...To put a more positive spin on things...:lookaroun...That sounds AWFULLY like the WED of 1952.:eek: Seriously. Walt's handpicked favorites trying to build his Disneyland. Maybe the economic climate warrants it, but if they have the RIGHT select few in there, it might not be so bad.

DisneyDellsDude

Am I one of the only ones seeing this WDI "news" to be pretty bad here?:shrug:

IMO, outsourcing is not the way to go. Ever.:mad:
Plus it kind of ruins the 50+ years that Imagineering has worked up to in my eyes.

Anyone else?

EPCOT Explorer

Plus it kind of ruins the 50+ years that Imagineering has worked up to in my eyes.

Anyone else?

It could go very, very, wrong, I agree...But as always...I need my dose of optimism...:lookaroun:lol:

Just a spoonful of sugar...

:lookaroun:lol:

Jasonflz

Anyone else?

Agreed. Disney should keep things just like tradition instead of becoming fat and greedy.:fork:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Bad, yes, but outsourcing has been happening since Disneyland was being built. However, WDI becoming a consultancy is a slap in the face.

jt04

Original Poster

Anyone else?

Let's see what TWWoHP is all about first. Does anyone know which company is the primary contractor for designing it?

jt04

Original Poster
Bad, yes, but outsourcing has been happening since Disneyland was being built. However, WDI becoming a consultancy is a slap in the face.

I hear what you are saying. But wouldn't it allow former Imagineers opportunities to design with their own start-up companies? Including some of the best and most experienced former Imagineers. Seems like the competion could be a positive thing.:shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom