Little Mermaid Clone a Go! (Maybe)

Thurp

But seeing the facades being built for Potterland and the renderings gave me a theory. TWWoHP could be of WDI quality when all is said and done as some are claiming.

I stopped by the place where they are building the facades and they look amazing from up close, I cannot wait to see them installed.

jt04

Original Poster
I stopped by the place where they are building the facades and they look amazing from up close, I cannot wait to see them installed.

Me either. I couldn't have cared less about TWWoHP until I saw those facades. Amazing!

DisneyDellsDude

Let's see what TWWoHP is all about first. Does anyone know which company is the primary contractor for designing it?
I know that Potter is supposed to be very good from everything I've read online, but is that what we want Disney to follow - very good?

I believe Imagineers can produce excellent work if the have full reign on creative tasks.
Plus, you think Disney would want to have some sense of ownership with their parks. Not "look what we bought" - it should be "look what we created".

SirGoofy

Ugh...this whole WDI thing is giving me a headache. I don't like it, plain and simple. I know there are plenty of great consulting firms that can make really great stuff, but Disney should keep it's stuff in house, IMO. I see this as just another way to trim salaries off the budget, plain and simple.

EPCOT Explorer

Ugh...this whole WDI thing is giving me a headache. I don't like it, plain and simple. I know there are plenty of great consulting firms that can make really great stuff, but Disney should keep it's stuff in house, IMO. I see this as just another way to trim salaries off the budget, plain and simple.
But will they really be ousting them? Seems like they would consult for, and only for, Disney..:lookaroun:shrug:

The Conundrum

Sounds like Sotto and whylightbulb are back in the game. I don't like the position WDI is in either but it makes sense as a purely business decision.

Now to fire the last arrow in my quiver.....

I noticed what seemed like panic set in when Disney seemed to decide to take a "wait and see" approach on responding to TWWoHP. I think many folks on the creative side at the "mouse house" along with myriad fanbois of WDW (enigma, 74 etc) were counting on Uni's addition to spur WDW to do some major adds. When that obviously did not happen, the resulting rage did. I could not understand it for the life of me.

But seeing the facades being built for Potterland and the renderings gave me a theory. TWWoHP could be of WDI quality when all is said and done as some are claiming. And that would mean third parties can create WDI-esque magic. And that is what is causing, what seems like, an over reaction of anger and panic by certain posters to WDW standing pat against this new "threat". Outsourcing has become a real possibility and Disney management likely sees an opportunity to "bid" projects. Leaner, meaner, greener......and timelier!

Technology and modern construction techniques have made the science of imagineering available to many. The same thing will happen throughout all entertainment. Music, television, movies and yes, even theme parks.

Now where's my sketch pad? :)

Don't you owe me an appology?

The Conundrum

Please explain.

jt04 said:
Still no link or date when posted? I've been to the web site and can't find the article. I'm starting to question the validity of this entire story. But then it is conundrum/wdw74 so I'll wait to hear from a more reliable source.

You continue to accuse me of making up stuff and being negative when I merely state truths and facts.

and btw I know in the original post you were refering to that enigma guy but im pretty sure you were refering to me since you have called me that before.

jt04

Original Poster
You continue to accuse me of making up stuff and being negative when I merely state truths and facts.

and btw I know in the original post you were refering to that enigma guy but im pretty sure you were refering to me since you have called me that before.

Huh? I still have no idea what you are trying to say. Try being specific otherwise I am not sure what you are getting at.

magicmaya

shut up:fork::fork::fork::fork:

The fighting needs to stop now

stop causing drama Conundrum

This is officially getting on my nerves

I might need to report this immature fighting to the mods and I don't wanna do it!:(

TP2000

What I am hearing is that LM will be developed in conjunction with the version that will be built for Shanghai, the "old build two of everything at once to save money" trick. It will likely be announced sooner, but I wouldn't expect it to open before the 2012-2014 timeframe, at the earliest.

That's too bad, as Magic Kingdom really needs a shot in the arm. I take it the bigger MK Fantasyland makeover is on that longer timetable also, if it is even still an option?

While it's a bummer for Magic Kingdom, I can actually see why the bean counters would want to wait. The economy is not on solid footing, with the national unemployment rate rising much faster and higher than the projections of just six months ago. But there are several additional factors that could impact central Florida tourism positively or negatively that would be completely unaffected by a new E Ticket in Fantasyland (commercial real estate looming collapse, Potterland, Six Flags insolvency/bankruptcy by August or September, etc.)

In hindsight a few years from now, we might realize it was very wise to wait a few years before going in with big buget E Tickets so early into the recession.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Am I one of the only ones seeing this WDI "news" to be pretty bad here?:shrug:

IMO, outsourcing is not the way to go. Ever.:mad:
Plus it kind of ruins the 50+ years that Imagineering has worked up to in my eyes.

Anyone else?

Outsourcing is often the way to go. Frees up money. Can allow more flexibility and to take advantage of better expertise.

But this...sounds not good. Not good at all.

CaptainMichael

shut up:fork::fork::fork::fork:

The fighting needs to stop now

stop causing drama Conundrum

This is officially getting on my nerves

I might need to report this immature fighting to the mods and I don't wanna do it!:(

I hate to keep saying this, but it's not only Conundrum. There is another. Always two there are...:lookaroun

CaptainMichael

WDI has only themselves to blame for all of the alleged infighting and overinflated budgets. Also, there's no real reason to have an inhouse design team if you only build something every 5-10 years. It's a good "management" move, but not necessarily a good creative move.

WDW1974

Wow...spend a couple days trapped in a car and you miss a bit....:snore:

Trapped? In a car?!? Hope that wasn't you I saw hopping (perhaps, not the right term) out of the trunk in 'The Hangover' :eek:

As for LM...
I was told that it is moving forward for eventual addition to the MK. Note I said eventual.
Believe leemac when he says it isn't in the current 5 year plan. (For that matter, put faith in pretty much whatever he says. He is in a position to know all.) That is likely true, however I don't know what years that plan spans.
Anyhow...
What I am hearing is that LM will be developed in conjunction with the version that will be built for Shanghai, the "old build two of everything at once to save money" trick. It will likely be announced sooner, but I wouldn't expect it to open before the 2012-2014 timeframe, at the earliest.

Yes. 'Eventual' is a key word. You can say that eventually all sorts of things will be added to WDW ... and I'm fairly certain you'd be right.

The question is the here and now.

And if Leemac is saying nothing in the current five-year plan for MK, I tend to believe him. His opinions and mine on many things (not all though) have often been at odds ... although strangely enough he has come around to my views after Marty and Wing were shoved into retirement, WDI had its ranks decimated en route to a glorified contracting and consulting company (gotta be lean and mean to survive ... not enough eye-rolling smileys in the world for how I feel about that ignorant view) and his own company stole his idea for Tales and put out the much, much, much, much, much weaker D23 (BTW, that pic in issue one WAS the Canada shack that I told the fanbois here about! Not in UK!).

Leemac likes to toe the company line, so if he has reached the breaking point that speaks louder than one word I could utter about how Disney P&R are destroying WDI, which results in stale parks like MK where fans get excited by facade painting and woodrot/termite removal!

Ask yourself where are the plans for WDW's 40th ... sorry, no offense Adam, but I'm not talking 1-2 day fan events and LE pins. I am talking REAL substance ... new attractions, new entertainment (including parades and pyro), new shopping, new dining ...

After skipping the 30th and 35th anniversaries, as well as EC's 25th, Disney can ill afford another ignore job yet that's exactly what we're seemingly in for.

Maybe when you're 16 or 21 or 25 it doesn't seem that big a deal to wait until 2014 for something of substance ... but for those of us who have been waiting since the mid-90s, it's been too long.

As for WDI....sigh...they are moving (being moved...) into a Uni Creative type situation. The end result could conceivably be a few story and concept men who develop attractions, then farm everything else out to contractors. It can work well in some ways, but represents a complete shift in the Disney way of building parks and attractions.
Personally, I don't like it.:mad:

I think you're letting them off easy.

WDI, much like FA, is the heart and soul of the company. There's no way you can take the creative heart out and farm it around and it will beat just fine. Look what that did to Animation ... Bambi 2, Cinderella 3, Peter Pan Rides Buzz Lightyear (oops, sorry that was a homemade special filmed at Vista Way!) followed by MBAs telling animators what creative choices to make, followed by killing FAF and finally traditional animation.

Now, Pixar (thankfully part of Disney) is 10 huge hits out of 10 and Disney FA is slowly attempting to try and comeback under Lasseter's lead.

WDI can't be 200-300 people with everything else being outsourced.

Iger is so focused on the bottom line that he has no clue what decisions like that really mean to the long term health of the company.

OK ... I hear some folks are bringing bedbugs to WDW resorts, so I'll let y'all get back to that fun!

brucie

guh I hope there is no announcement soon if nothing is going to happen for 5 years or more. what ever happened to announcing something and then getting it done. We need a LM announcement now with completion by 2011 and then a completely new unique E ticket to WDW in the next 5 years, 2014-2015.

The Conundrum

guh I hope there is no announcement soon if nothing is going to happen for 5 years or more. what ever happened to announcing something and then getting it done. We need a LM announcement now with completion by 2011 and then a completely new unique E ticket to WDW in the next 5 years, 2014-2015.

That is not on the agenda.

Disney has not added a major new addition to Magic Kingdom since 1994. The company line is that they simply don't have to because "people are going to come anyway". Why would they start building now?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom