Little Mermaid Clone a Go! (Maybe)

Figment632

That is not on the agenda.

Disney has not added a major new addition to Magic Kingdom since 1994. The company line is that they simply don't have to because "people are going to come anyway". Why would they start building now?

I'm sure they have plans but are in a wait an see mode with Potter land. But you are right if Potter land is a bust ( I highly expect it to be) they won't build anything because people are still coming to MK.

CaptainMichael

I'm sure they have plans but are in a wait an see mode with Potter land. But you are right if Potter land is a bust ( I highly expect it to be)

Impossible.

It is the biggest addition being made to the Orlando theme park market since DAK and IOA in 1998.

Nothing so far indicates that this land will fail. The facades are amazing. If nothing else, it will look incredible.

Figment632

Impossible.

It is the biggest addition being made to the Orlando theme park market since DAK and IOA in 1998.

Nothing so far indicates that this land will fail. The facades are amazing. If nothing else, it will look incredible.
Well the terrible JP and dirty bad designed DR. Suees land comes to mind.

whylightbulb

Hey whyalightbulb....you out there?
Originally most of the creative and technical development was being handled by UC. Unfortunately WB and JK didn't like what they were seeing from a creative standpoint so the studio jumped in and modified quite a bit of it. After the bid documents went out the technical director was replaced. So the short answer to your question is UC started it and Leavesdon studio along with WB took over. UC is basically managing the project and has an art director along with a couple other creative types. Getting everyone to agree on things has proven to by quite a challenge. It really is a mess and I hope WDI doesn't end up just like it.

whylightbulb

I'm sure they have plans but are in a wait an see mode with Potter land. But you are right if Potter land is a bust ( I highly expect it to be) they won't build anything because people are still coming to MK.
You are kidding right? Potter will not be a bust by any stretch of the imagination.

SirGoofy

Seriously? You think Suess Landing is dirty/badly designed? Have you been there!? The place is incredible, and I think the good Doctor would have been proud to have his name on it.

As for JP, there is nothing terrible about it. It could probably use some work, but it's no where near terrible.

Figment632

Seriously? You think Suess Landing is dirty/badly designed? Have you been there!? The place is incredible, and I think the good Doctor would have been proud to have his name on it.

As for JP, there is nothing terrible about it. It could probably use some work, but it's no where near terrible.

I haven't set foot in Suess land in about 10 years so maybe my opinion will be different next time. JP is one of my favorite films I guess I was expecting more than a flume ride. It should have been a jeep ride luke the scene from the movie.

HMF

As for WDI....sigh...they are moving (being moved...) into a Uni Creative type situation. The end result could conceivably be a few story and concept men who develop attractions, then farm everything else out to contractors. It can work well in some ways, but represents a complete shift in the Disney way of building parks and attractions.
Personally, I don't like it.:mad:
And that has been working out very well for them considering that two of their highly hyped up new Fantasmic AA's are both broken.:animwink:

HMF

which two? As far as I know it is only the dragon that is MIA.
Tick-tock was malfunctioning after the first night last I heard.:brick: Seriously 'Did Disney really expect the same quality level from outsourced AAS. Shoudn't they have been prepared to anticipate something like this to happen before the Marketing People went crazy promoting the new dragon.:confused:

The Conundrum

um if JP is terrible than WDW is a slum. It is easily the most hyperthemed island at the park with tons of little hidden things only fans will pick up on it is also the most cohesive land ever built since WDW's New Tomorrowland. The ride could use more maintenance (but then again so can Splash Mountain).

I don't get whats "dirty bad" about Dr.Suess either. It ain't themed as well as it should be but it looks on par with some of the stuff i've seen at WDW like Dino-RAMA and aladdin's magic carpets.

I haven't set foot in Suess land in about 10 years so maybe my opinion will be different next time. JP is one of my favorite films I guess I was expecting more than a flume ride. It should have been a jeep ride luke the scene from the movie.

Not to attack you, but did you somehow miss the Discovery Center, Triceratops Encounter (now closed :(), overall area, and the surprisingly well made Camp Jurassic area?

Tick-tock was malfunctioning after the first night last I heard. Seriously 'Did Disney really expect the same quality level from outsourced AAS. Shoudn't they have been prepared to anticipate something like this to happen before the Marketing People went crazy promoting the new dragon.

Nevermind the broken fantasmic AA's, the entire fleet of new monorails at Disneyland had major problems before they even opened to guests. There were issues where the outsourced monorails couldn't manuever some of the turns on the track, clearance issues, and oh yea, they forgot to install air conditioning units inside and the expense of retrofitting them now is out of the question. They have been on the track for over a year now and they are STILL not taking guests except for a few "soft tests".

HMF

Nevermind the broken fantasmic AA's, the entire fleet of new monorails at Disneyland had major problems before they even opened to guests. There were issues where the outsourced monorails couldn't manuever some of the turns on the track, clearance issues, and oh yea, they forgot to install air conditioning units inside and the expense of retrofitting them now is out of the question. They have been on the track for over a year now and they are STILL not taking guests except for a few "soft tests".
Someone with any sanity in WDI should learn a lesson from this. DON'T OUTSOURCE!:mad:

EPCOT Explorer

I hate to keep saying this, but it's not only Conundrum. There is another. Always two there are...:lookaroun
The Sith...They function in two's...:lookaroun
Trapped? In a car?!? Hope that wasn't you I saw hopping (perhaps, not the right term) out of the trunk in 'The Hangover' :eek:

As for LM...
I was told that it is moving forward for eventual addition to the MK. Note I said eventual.
Believe leemac when he says it isn't in the current 5 year plan. (For that matter, put faith in pretty much whatever he says. He is in a position to know all.) That is likely true, however I don't know what years that plan spans.
Anyhow...
What I am hearing is that LM will be developed in conjunction with the version that will be built for Shanghai, the "old build two of everything at once to save money" trick. It will likely be announced sooner, but I wouldn't expect it to open before the 2012-2014 timeframe, at the earliest.

Yes. 'Eventual' is a key word. You can say that eventually all sorts of things will be added to WDW ... and I'm fairly certain you'd be right.

The question is the here and now.

And if Leemac is saying nothing in the current five-year plan for MK, I tend to believe him. His opinions and mine on many things (not all though) have often been at odds ... although strangely enough he has come around to my views after Marty and Wing were shoved into retirement, WDI had its ranks decimated en route to a glorified contracting and consulting company (gotta be lean and mean to survive ... not enough eye-rolling smileys in the world for how I feel about that ignorant view) and his own company stole his idea for Tales and put out the much, much, much, much, much weaker D23 (BTW, that pic in issue one WAS the Canada shack that I told the fanbois here about! Not in UK!).

Leemac likes to toe the company line, so if he has reached the breaking point that speaks louder than one word I could utter about how Disney P&R are destroying WDI, which results in stale parks like MK where fans get excited by facade painting and woodrot/termite removal!

Ask yourself where are the plans for WDW's 40th ... sorry, no offense Adam, but I'm not talking 1-2 day fan events and LE pins. I am talking REAL substance ... new attractions, new entertainment (including parades and pyro), new shopping, new dining ...

After skipping the 30th and 35th anniversaries, as well as EC's 25th, Disney can ill afford another ignore job yet that's exactly what we're seemingly in for.

Maybe when you're 16 or 21 or 25 it doesn't seem that big a deal to wait until 2014 for something of substance ... but for those of us who have been waiting since the mid-90s, it's been too long.

!

We see DIRECTLY eye to eye on this. I plan on being there for the 40th. I want it to be awesome. Disney needs this. The fans need it. It could be a huuuge relaunch for The World.

CaptainMichael

The Sith...They function in two's...:lookaroun

We see DIRECTLY eye to eye on this. I plan on being there for the 40th. I want it to be awesome. Disney needs this. The fans need it. It could be a huuuge relaunch for The World.

Exactly my young apprentice ;)

I plan on being there on the 40th as well...if law school permits of course.

CaptainMichael

:D Thank you, Master.:lookaroun:lol:

I do too. It will be my Junior year by then...And it's on a Saturday.:lookaroun:D Would not be that hard, eh, Mike?:D

It all depends. I don't think that there is such a thing as weekends when you're in lawschool. Either you are in class, reading, studying, or sleeping....

sponono88

Tick-tock was malfunctioning after the first night last I heard.:brick: Seriously 'Did Disney really expect the same quality level from outsourced AAS. Shoudn't they have been prepared to anticipate something like this to happen before the Marketing People went crazy promoting the new dragon.:confused:

No, I think that was just a rumor.. I watched the show last night and the croc worked just fine.

jt04

Original Poster
Originally most of the creative and technical development was being handled by UC. Unfortunately WB and JK didn't like what they were seeing from a creative standpoint so the studio jumped in and modified quite a bit of it. After the bid documents went out the technical director was replaced. So the short answer to your question is UC started it and Leavesdon studio along with WB took over. UC is basically managing the project and has an art director along with a couple other creative types. Getting everyone to agree on things has proven to by quite a challenge. It really is a mess and I hope WDI doesn't end up just like it.

Thanks for responding, great info. I fear for WDI too. But if I worked there I would start building some connections on the side. Just in case.

So much of the imagineering concept has permeated so many elements of society that I would think they will all be fine. I just hate to see Iger make the same mistake Eisner did with animation. But we live in bad times.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom