Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

Biff215

Don't just keep the comments to the 1 entry. Keep it going on the newest posts out there to ensure we're still being seen.

I tried posting a basic "Bring back the Lights of Winter at Epcot" on some of the other posts, but none of those made it through. Looks like you have to make at least some attempt at addressing the actual topic. :veryconfu

EPCOT Explorer

A OFFICIAL RESPONSE:
Via Twitter: RT @Disneyparks: The Lights of Winter has been enjoyed for years. But tech to operate the lights is obsolete, prompting us to retire the lights

Pure BS. They could have upgraded them.:fork:

CaptainMichael

Should read:
The Lights of Winter has been enjoyed for years. But tech to operate the lights is obsolete, and we are too cheap to upgrade them or provide something better which has prompted us to retire them.

EPCOTPluto

Should read:
The Lights of Winter has been enjoyed for years. But tech to operate the lights is obsolete, and we are too cheap to upgrade them or provide something better which has prompted us to retire them.
:lookaroun:lol:

Seriously, that's all they can come up with? How difficult can it be to upgrade the technology? :shrug:

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
A OFFICIAL RESPONSE:

That has to be the worst excuse ever. I can't imagine what device operating those lights is SOOO archaic that it can't be replaced or revised. I am not a lighting expert by any means, but I would imagine the lights ran on (or could run on) something similar to the Osbourne lights. Is there no way to retrofit the LoW with that control device instead? Doubt it. :shrug:

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
and they followed it up with...

Debuting at this year's Holidays Around the World at Epcot is a new gospel choir, "D'Vine Voices - Nov. 27 through Dec. 26.

Lame...:rolleyes:

I'll Pass....

Daddyoh

lights

That would really be a shame if the lights go out at Epcot :( Those were the most memorable Christmas decor at Disney when we visited during the holiday. I hope they re-think their decision if in fact this turns out to be true.

It's just another example that Disney World is not the priority for the Disney company at this time. The focus has shifted to Disneyland and DCA to upgrade and provide a better show.

I was thinking of spending a few days around Thanksgiving at Epcot and the Magic Kingdom but this just reinforces me to save my money and not pay for stupid, idiotic and deceptive decisions.

They are slowly killing the magic.... :(

TTA1

I usually just read through all the posts on here. I usually go to WDW twice a year, once being at Christmas and I am very disappointed about the removal of LOW. So I did my first attempt on Disney's blog to express my feelings my first post did not make it through, deleted but my second did. The only difference between the two is that the first remarked on profit and shareholders V guest satisfaction and enjoyment. In addition I commented that the way "Christmas" appears to be being cut year on year from WDW, that for me, being from the U.K at a cost of $9000 for two for this years Christmas/New Year vacation, I might as well save some money and go to Disneyland Paris for next Christmas, who I feel competes quite well now against WDW for the Christmas season. So I guess it was the mention of profit and an alternative Disney park that got my post deleted. Although I did raise the question if there was another reason to their removal other than profit.

Atomicmickey

This is sad news, it is a beautiful display.

I wonder, though. Things do come and go at WDW. I never did get to see Tapestry of Nations, etc. for example.

This whole thing would have had a different reaction, here and at the Disney Parks Blog, for example, if Disney had been more forthright and forthcoming with the news.

I just read Lee Cockerell's book on Disney management--and he described, for example, firing people. Doing tough things like that requires direct and forthright communication. It doesn't soften the blow, but at least you're being given an explanation.

What if, a few months ago, they'd put out a press release, stating something like . . . .

"we're going to have to retire Lights of Winter. The tech is too outmoded, and in order to fix it, we'd basically have to start over. We know that we're up to a challenge, but in this case, we have decided to retire this show, and begin dreaming again for a future installation."

Wouldn't that have gone a long way? And even just giving notice so that people making holiday plans would at least know.

I think that this is primarily a communications problem, not a problem of a feature going away, even though that's the fact.

ptaylor

Premium Member
A OFFICIAL RESPONSE:

Note:The Lights of Winter at Epcot has been enjoyed for years. But tech to operate the lights is obsolete, prompting us to retire the lights

I think Disney have lost the plot with their social networking. So it's OK to just pass something like that off in 140 characters or less on twitter. It's getting pathetic.

I am starting to think they have themselves spread so thin on all their sites they don't what they are doing. Should they post on disneyworld.com, the 10 or so Twitter accounts they use, the official blog, the press site or nowhere. hmmmmmm - so many choices - maybe go with the one thats 140 characters or less - easier to pass it off that way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom