Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

hoke2007

"Always finding ways to give our guests Less - for More......." - Team Disney Orlando

They should poster that on every single entrance to theme parks. Because it seems to be very true. I have high hopes for the Fantasyland expansion, but knowing TDO, we'll probably get some bare-bones expansion. Oh yeah, and a $5 increase in ticket prices.

Their future ticket prices should read: "how much do you have? We'll take it all."

TURKEY

Got Wow! Video Games. That seems so 20th century and obsolete. Why not holograms? on the Space Mountain blog post.

Got Are you going to take the virtual portholes away as soon as the technology becomes obsolete? on the Disney dream blog.

Disneyson 1

I hope that they'll find some "new tech" to remake the lights next year... if not, then I call bull. I mean, LEDs are actually way less expensive to run, so if they just replace the lights then the whole thing will cost about a much as if only one arch had been put up. I mean, it's relatively costless.

PhantomX

That twitter post doesn't even make sense. So ok the lights use obsolete technology (which is hillarious considering how Disney used to always use the latest and greatest technology but not anymore). So why can't they do a NEW holiday feature with NEW lighting technology or at the very least recreate lights of winter with new tech??

dxwwf3

So why can't they do a NEW holiday feature with NEW lighting technology or at the very least recreate lights of winter with new tech??

Exactly. They saw that the fans were upset, they wanted to just throw something out there quickly, and that will probably be that. It's no secret that Disney really couldn't care less about us (the fans) and they aren't going to change the way they do things.

TURKEY

I hope that they'll find some "new tech" to remake the lights next year... if not, then I call bull. I mean, LEDs are actually way less expensive to run, so if they just replace the lights then the whole thing will cost about a much as if only one arch had been put up. I mean, it's relatively costless.

I don't see how the lighting system became obsolete in 10 months and if so, couldn't come up with a replacement in that time.

EPCOT Explorer

This is sad news, it is a beautiful display.

I wonder, though. Things do come and go at WDW. I never did get to see Tapestry of Nations, etc. for example.

This whole thing would have had a different reaction, here and at the Disney Parks Blog, for example, if Disney had been more forthright and forthcoming with the news.

I just read Lee Cockerell's book on Disney management--and he described, for example, firing people. Doing tough things like that requires direct and forthright communication. It doesn't soften the blow, but at least you're being given an explanation.

What if, a few months ago, they'd put out a press release, stating something like . . . .

"we're going to have to retire Lights of Winter. The tech is too outmoded, and in order to fix it, we'd basically have to start over. We know that we're up to a challenge, but in this case, we have decided to retire this show, and begin dreaming again for a future installation."

Wouldn't that have gone a long way? And even just giving notice so that people making holiday plans would at least know.

I think that this is primarily a communications problem, not a problem of a feature going away, even though that's the fact.
Ironic, because HIS SON is EPCOT's VP, and most likely the executor of this ill fates decision. Apple fell too far from the Tree...

And THEM coming out with the news would have softened the blow, by a little. While still wrong and disappointing, it would have showed that they are mindful of the future.

FURIOUS right now. Something SO simple, and they have not the brains to run it.
I think Disney have lost the plot with their social networking. So it's OK to just pass something like that off in 140 characters or less on twitter. It's getting pathetic.

I am starting to think they have themselves spread so thin on all their sites they don't what they are doing. Should they post on disneyworld.com, the 10 or so Twitter accounts they use, the official blog, the press site or nowhere. hmmmmmm - so many choices - maybe go with the one thats 140 characters or less - easier to pass it off that way.
That's another thing. This was quick and under the rug. They KNOW they are WRONG.:rolleyes::mad:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Got Wow! Video Games. That seems so 20th century and obsolete. Why not holograms? on the Space Mountain blog post.

Got Are you going to take the virtual portholes away as soon as the technology becomes obsolete? on the Disney dream blog.

All this talk of obsolete Mrs Sak should be very worried, time for an upgarde

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom