Rumor Light Rail / Tram Link for Disney Springs to TTC?

jbolen2

I don’t think there are many guest that wouldn’t welcome the idea on less buses. We are life time campers and we dread the days we wait on buses to go to the 3 parks vs the boat to MK even though the boat service has gotten slower over the years too.
That’s not the idea.

The idea is to reduce reliance on busses.

Creathir

My hope: a People Mover based Personal Rapid Transit system.

Hop in your car, select your destination, away you go.

Could be done and expanded to handle capacity relatively easily, and minimizes transfers.

nace888

Original Poster
My hope: a People Mover based Personal Rapid Transit system.

Hop in your car, select your destination, away you go.

Could be done and expanded to handle capacity relatively easily, and minimizes transfers.
I could see it, but the amount of material needed is what makes me unsure... LHR Airport uses one, but I'm not sure if Disney would want to build a whole huge concrete thing just for that...

Creathir

I could see it, but the amount of material needed is what makes me unsure... LHR Airport uses one, but I'm not sure if Disney would want to build a whole huge concrete thing just for that...
They don’t have to be elevated except at crossings over existing infrastructure. The rest of the way can be at grade pathways.

LHR’s system showcases this perfectly.

To me this is the ideal type of system.

*Q*

xuqx7rlwtfh8wte2wyf8.gif

Robbiem

They don’t have to be elevated except at crossings over existing infrastructure. The rest of the way can be at grade pathways.

LHR’s system showcases this perfectly.

To me this is the ideal type of system.

In london they have also had trials of larger pods in public areas around the O2 dome in greenwich, i think a system could easily operate on Disney’s existing roadways without much additional infrastructure but it would require a big investment in the control technology which could be very expensive

Creathir

In london they have also had trials of larger pods in public areas around the O2 dome in greenwich, i think a system could easily operate on Disney’s existing roadways without much additional infrastructure but it would require a big investment in the control technology which could be very expensive
While certainly possible, anything on the existing infrastructure, specifically the public roadways, is not really a net win versus the bus system.

I’m sure Disney has forecasting models for the coming decades, and I would imagine they see a roadway based system, shared with public infrastructure, is not going to be sufficient for the future growth.

We see evidence of this in the gondola system and rumors of these discussions.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the long term.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes they are.

Not to the current TTC.

This is the post here that begins to pass the common sense test.

I don’t see any scenario where the TTC would be expanded at all...it’s outdated and inefficient.

There have been long company fables about moving it...adjusting to a new system and not having it attached to a silly detached parking lot/lake scheme...which probably seemed “cool” in 1965

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
While certainly possible, anything on the existing infrastructure, specifically the public roadways, is not really a net win versus the bus system.

I’m sure Disney has forecasting models for the coming decades, and I would imagine they see a roadway based system, shared with public infrastructure, is not going to be sufficient for the future growth.

We see evidence of this in the gondola system and rumors of these discussions.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the long term.

Agreed...the buses have flexibility and can be limited to save some costs when possible...

But watch the gondola very closely...if it’s cheap and goes off ok (I have doubts)...then you could see them becoming more of a “network”

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
This it post here that begins to pass the common sense test.

I don’t see any scenario where the TTC would be expanded at all...it’s outdated and inefficient.

There have been long company fables about moving it...adjusting to a new system and not having it attached to a silly detached parking lot/lake scheme...which probably seemed “cool” in 1965
The format to enter the MK will remain. As will the current TTC, in some form. And more or less where it is today in even the most radical proposals.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The format to enter the MK will remain. As will the current TTC, in some form. And more or less where it is today in even the most radical proposals.

Silly...but whatever. A better longterm plan would be to get it out of that mess and reposition for more central access.
But I don’t think we see anything significant until the monorails are gone...which isnt gonna be solved in the short term.

They’re doing transport work...but aren’t eager to sink more capex and longterm expense to move people around.

Why bother when they show up anyway?

Last edited:

TOCPE82

I am enjoying this expansion and re-think of transportation options. The buses aren't sexy, and greatly contribute to my desire to rent a car.

As a DVC owner who has grown to LOVE staying at AKL, a way to enter AK without needing to ride a bus would be awesome. I really don't care if its a tram, train or even a walking path...

Last edited:

Jon81uk

Silly...but whatever. A better longterm plan would be to get it out of that mess and reposition for more central access.

Except how can you park cars closer to the MK without filling in the lake? At this point it is almost impossible to change the parking style for the Magic Kingdom.

COProgressFan

Build a new lot on unused land just west of MK.

But realistically, that lot would sit across Floridian way west of the MK and transportation would still be needed from the lot to the MK entrance because it still would be at best a half mile from the MK entrance. They'd also need a bridge over the canal, massive, expensive road improvements to Floridian way all while the MK parking and tollbooth area is just finishing up a huge overhaul right now with the new overpass, etc. You don't really gain much for such an expenditure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom