Rumor Light Rail / Tram Link for Disney Springs to TTC?

Brad Bishop

I know everyone wants the Monorail but, and I hate saying this because I've always been fascinated by it, I think it's dated. It's a bus-train that runs on a concrete beam.

What the WDW Monorail has going for it really couldn't be done today because there's no catwalk. I bet that they couldn't get away with that today. The lack of a catwalk makes it looks slim and sexy up in the sky. When you add a catwalk in it greatly diminishes the look of the Monorail (see Newark's airport monorail - it looks as bad, or nearly as bad, as an elevated train or light rail).

You can argue light rail, and it may have it's advantages in automated form (no driver to pay). Buses make the most sense, though. If they were, instead, to invest in bus-only lanes (well, more of them and bus-only overpasses and intersections) then they really would have a nice, flexible system.. Still, it's buses, and no one gets excited about buses.

I could see light rail being neat until it's park closing and everyone is waiting for the limited capacity train to show up. Granted, it's bigger than a bus but you can have buses waiting one behind the other to haul people back to their rooms which isn't going to happen with light rail.

ryguy

I feel like the most logical place for a new transportation system would be to connect Animal kingdom area to Disney springs. You could hit Coronado, Swan and Dolphin and that third resort being built with the swolphin.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
What the WDW Monorail has going for it really couldn't be done today because there's no catwalk. I bet that they couldn't get away with that today. The lack of a catwalk makes it looks slim and sexy up in the sky. When you add a catwalk in it greatly diminishes the look of the Monorail (see Newark's airport monorail - it looks as bad, or nearly as bad, as an elevated train or light rail).

I'm not sure what you are saying here, but have you seen the LV Monorail at all?

peter11435

I know everyone wants the Monorail but, and I hate saying this because I've always been fascinated by it, I think it's dated. It's a bus-train that runs on a concrete beam.

You can argue light rail, and it may have it's advantages in automated form (no driver to pay). Buses make the most sense, though. If they were, instead, to invest in bus-only lanes (well, more of them and bus-only overpasses and intersections) then they really would have a nice, flexible system.. Still, it's buses, and no one gets excited about buses.

I could see light rail being neat until it's park closing and everyone is waiting for the limited capacity train to show up. Granted, it's bigger than a bus but you can have buses waiting one behind the other to haul people back to their rooms which isn't going to happen with light rail.
Why do you think they would need a catwalk?

Indy_UK

IMG_0190.JPG

Brad Bishop

Honest question... what makes it a "bus-train", and how does that differ from other rail vehicles?

Well, it's running on rubber tires across a concrete path - that's basically a bus. Mutli-cars make it a train.
(I know it's an honest question for what I stated but I feel like the Simpsons bit with: Mono=1 and rail=rail :) )

Traditional rail is steel wheels on rail.

The thing that makes the Monorail neat is that the bus-part (the tires) are hidden and so it seems to just magically glide. It's basically an expensive, "on-rail" (can't go anywhere else) bus.

Take out the beams and replace them with single-lane roads/bridges for buses and, no, it's definitely not as sexy, but it makes a lot more practical sense.

I like the Monorail but, and I'll admit this is partly because they gave up on keeping it up: It feels very much like a Yesteryear technology.

CJR

I fully expect TDO to have self driving buses up and running as soon as they're capable of it. It's probably going to be the cheapest option and it's TDO. They already have dedicated bus lanes in the DS area.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I fully expect TDO to have self driving buses up and running as soon as they're capable of it. It's probably going to be the cheapest option and it's TDO. They already have dedicated bus lanes in the DS area.
The bus lanes are a short term solution.

Any east west connector would run in isolation. It could also be built in phases with an Epcot to Springs connection first.

It’ll be like 1974 all over again.

trainplane3

The bus lanes are a short term solution.

Any east west connector would run in isolation. It could also be built in phases with an Epcot to Springs connection first.

It’ll be like 1974 all over again.
So, sort of like a bus way?

That's something I'm surprised they never embraced. Cheaper then rail, easy to add or remove based on demand, and most importantly consistent performance. If a bus breaks down then you just go around it versus the Monorail coming to a halt.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom