Let's talk baseball

Wilt Dasney

I don't blame Manny for the media's obsession with him. The guy could burp on camera and it would be picked apart endlessly on SportsCenter. It was crazy how much scrutiny he got for saying it wouldn't be the end of the world if the Sox didn't come back to beat the Indians...a sane, rational statement and people were just going nuts.

Number_6

I'll quickly comment (in a respectful manner of course) on why I've wanted the Rockies to beat the Red Sox so badly.

1) N.L. Pride, baby.
That I can understand.

2) Nice to see a team win their first W.S. ever.
That I can understand.

3) When the Red Sox won in '04, I seem to remember the fans throwing a big riot-like party on the streets and a girl wound up dying. I forgot how, but I think she was hit in the face by a firecracker or something.
That was acutally she got hit in the eye by a projectile from a crowd control pistol fired by a police officer. Yes they got rowdy, but no more than many other cities fans have gotten for wins/losses in major sporting events. And they were celebrating their team winning after waiting 86 years. Yes it was tragic, but I've seen a lot worse when teams from LA have won championships before. Having that be a reason to root against a team, something that the team in question had nothing to do with beyond winning so that there was a celebration that got out of hand, seems kinda silly to me.

4) I don't like all the gimmicks the Sox players do. "Queer Eye" appearances, Papelbons' little riverdance escapade, and of course the whole Manny being Manny bull is really tiring. It seems obvious they're just trying to stir up more media attention. I'd rather root for guys that just do their job without all the bells and whistles.

They appeared on Queer Eye because a donation was being made to help rebuild the Little League field in Port Charlotte, Florida which had been devastated in 2004 by all those hurricanes that had hit. Not really what I would call a gimmick. Papelbon's riverdance thing, the kid's excited and having fun. He plays a game for a living. I would rather see guys that are having fun and playing becuase they love the game, rather than a bunch of serious sourpusses that complain about not getting paid enough for what they do and always asking for more money. When the Rockies won did those guys just say "Yay, we beat the D-Backs. Now we can play in the World Series. Can you please pass me some champagne?" No, they celebrated and had fun. They may not have done the same thing as Papelbon, but they weren't totally serious either. And as far as the "Manny being Manny" thing goes, that came from the team being tired of getting asked questions about Manny's behavior all the time. They're happy he produces at the plate and is usually good for a clutch hit, so they just came up with that for an answer so they can move on to the next question.

Number_6

I don't blame Manny for the media's obsession with him. The guy could burp on camera and it would be picked apart endlessly on SportsCenter. It was crazy how much scrutiny he got for saying it wouldn't be the end of the world if the Sox didn't come back to beat the Indians...a sane, rational statement and people were just going nuts.

There are those of us who agree with his statement that it wouldn't have been the end of the world if they didn't come back against Cleveland. But the people that were freaking out most were the really intense Sox fans. From the way they were seeing it, Manny didn't care about winning. And if the players on your team don't care about winning, then why are you spending time and money supporting them? You're buying tickets to games, jerseys, etc and they really don't care if they let the fans down? Like I said, I agree with the statement he made, but I can see how people could get rather upset about it from a certain point of view.

Iakona

I'll quickly comment (in a respectful manner of course) on why I've wanted the Rockies to beat the Red Sox so badly.

1) N.L. Pride, baby.
Understandable.

2) Nice to see a team win their first W.S. ever.
Understandable.

3) When the Red Sox won in '04, I seem to remember the fans throwing a big riot-like party on the streets and a girl wound up dying. I forgot how, but I think she was hit in the face by a firecracker or something.
She was killed by a police officer that fired a type of bean bag gun at her face :(
. Some of the dumba$$ punks did get stupid, but to associate the young punks (many I consider temp fans :fork:because they were young college students using the win as an excuse to get drunk and be idiots) that mostly were not from Boston a representation of Red Sox fans is a big jump.

4) I don't like all the gimmicks the Sox players do. "Queer Eye" appearances, Papelbons' little riverdance escapade, and of course the whole Manny being Manny bull is really tiring. It seems obvious they're just trying to stir up more media attention. I'd rather root for guys that just do their job without all the bells and whistles.
  • Queer Eye=Charity donation (lot's of teams do stuff like this).
  • Papelbon- He is a young kid having the time of his life. This is his personality and he is having fun. Yeah, that's a bad thing.
  • Manny? The Sox are trying to dot he exact opposite. Manny not speaking to the press has pretty much been accepted in Boston and no one minds. Funny thing is; his latest quotes during the Cleveland series were an example of how his approach to playing baseball is misinterpreted. Try this column, Joe was one of the few that understood.
http://www.bostonherald.com/news/opinion/columnists/view.bg?articleid=1040759

So, Boston is a team willing to take a risk for a charitable donation, has a kid having a blast and one of the best hitters in baseball that doesn't think life on earth will end if the Red Sox don't win the World Series. Yeah, I would much prefer a team that doesn't have time to help out a good cause because baseball is the end all and be all in their life.:hammer:

WDWFREAK53

3-0...

Why should I be confident? I've seen 3-0 leads diminish before.

Anywho...what a great story it would be to sweep at the hands of Jon Lester.

It was a nailbiter at times last night...but I was very impressed with Dice-K...in my eyes, he was worth every penny. Yeah, he had a rocky (no pun intended) end of the season but did he ever turn it up last night. Didn't he only have 2 hits prior to the 2 walks before he left? That's dominance.

Now...on to bigger and better things...

Do you start Ortiz tonight? Francona proved my thought process wrong last night...so, once again I say, In Terry I Trust. :D

I heart this team...they just love playing the game :)

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
eew... 4-3. That's not as pretty as the 4-1 a short while ago.

Random thought.

If you squint, the Rockies look like the Yankees since A- pinstripes and B- they're all a bunch of prettyboys.

That's all.

mkt

Premium Member
GO SOX!

Don't you hate it when you find Rox in your Sox? :lookaroun

That's my bad joke of the day

mkt

Premium Member
Dear sweet jesus.

3 outs, that's it. That's all I'm asking for. 3 quick outs.

mkt

Premium Member
Time for a quick sip of my medicine.

*drinks vodka*

ahhhh

GO SOX!

mkt

Premium Member
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jacoby Caught It!!! 2 outs

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom