'Let the Memories Begin' castle projection test video

Rob562

Ok, I am now convinced that WDI is completely out of imagination! "When all else fails, show guests a picture of themselves (new SSE, Tower of Terror Nighttastic, etc)!!!" And then of course, the average idiot eats this crap up, so I almost can't blame them for not trying.

This reeks of Marketing forcing it into the parks, and not an original design idea by WDI...

-Rob

MarkTwain

Actually, I think the plan is to give everything in WDW its own Facebook page.

Spaceship Earth needs a hand these days LMAO
48,576 people like this.

Mr. Toad Anybody got a couch I can crash on, being homeless sux
Winnie-the-Pooh Sorry dude, we're full

Aurora and Cinderella are not attending the event "Princess Housewarming @FL!!!!"

Yeti joined the group "Disco Fever"

Main St. Electrical Parade updated its hometown to Orlando, Fla.
DL AP dude when u comin back
Main St. Electrical Parade idk

Disney and Marvel are in a relationship.
Fanboiz Bout time u 2 got together LOL.

Universal and Marvel are in a relationship and it's complicated.
Disney Ummmm
Marvel I can explain. Txt me

Disney Dining removed "Quality" from its interests.

Harry Potter is laughing maniacally. :) :) :)
TDO stfu

Mickey Mouse Looks like I'm losin my vacation home, any ideas where I can get a new 1?
DVC Come see me tomorrow, might have some ideas
Mickey Mouse OK cool

Pleasure Island is sooooooooooo bored
Pleasure Island Hello?
Pleasure Island Anybody???
River Country Sucks huh?
Pleasure Island FML

I ordinarily don't use this icon multiple times, but...

:ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

Made my night!

btmrider

This projection technology is the only good thing to come from this "Let the Memories Begin" campaign. Now that they have it, there is no reason why it can't be incorporated into Wishes or any other fireworks show at the Magic Kingdom. Once you get past the silly picture slideshow, the video shows just what is possible to do with the castle with these projections.

I must say its nice to see these projectors at WDW, hopefully permanently. This sort of technology has been seen at other Disney parks for years, from IASW holiday at DL to the ToT grand opening in Paris. Its a shame it takes a stupid marketing campaign to finally bring it to the MK; it should have been here years ago.

Not to go off topic or anything, but how cool would it be if for the anniversary period that the show was along the line of "Insert Evil Character" steals the castle (all lights including window lights turn off) and chaos ensues suddenly Tink flys and with that the castle starts to form. A cloud a smoke starts at the bottom and you see windows, bricks, wood, etc through the smoke. This "line" of smoke and such continues up and you watch as the castle is built ending with the top spire being formed and the "TV fireworks" going off forming the Mickey head behind it.

Wilt Dasney

Not to go off topic or anything, but how cool would it be if for the anniversary period that the show was along the line of "Insert Evil Character" steals the castle (all lights including window lights turn off) and chaos ensues suddenly Tink flys and with that the castle starts to form. A cloud a smoke starts at the bottom and you see windows, bricks, wood, etc through the smoke. This "line" of smoke and such continues up and you watch as the castle is built ending with the top spire being formed and the "TV fireworks" going off forming the Mickey head behind it.

I'm digging it!

cookiee_munster

its must have been a few weeks now i posted an idea i had about them projecting onto the castle, and low and behold...

anyway, my criticism here is, i don't think they're using the right technology to their advantage. as i explained im my original post about projection, a system has been developed now that maps all the crevices and sticky out parts (no, i don't know the technical terms) on a building and changes the projection somewhat to make seem flatter rather than distorted from what i saw in the testing video.

the pencil/sketch projection of the castle looked fantastic, but that's because it was static. once the images started to move, that's when it started to look a bit meh...

its a good concept, i just think its been executed poorly.

thelookingglass

Using the technology to project people's pictures is such a stupid idea. The only reason anyone would watch this is to see their own picture. This is basically one step away from "Send a text message to KINGDOM71 to see it appear on the castle!"

The only thing I really enjoyed was Tink flying around in the beginning....but then it made me wonder if she will still make her firework flight??? :shrug:

COProgressFan

My MAIN problem with this new "celebration" is that it's cheap and banks on nostalgia. Nostalgia is flawed, it's emotional, and it's irrational. It's a dirty ploy to bank on people's children, parents, and families to sell them into a park. And then to try and get them to do all the marketing for you is even slimier.

It's a shame that Disney think they can't go one full year without some sort of promotion or celebration going on; that their product is too weak otherwise. A crying shame.

I completely agree. Nostalgia is an important part of the experience at the "Disney Parks" (god I hate that term). But they have been playing on nostalgia over and over again for YEARS now. But there is little of substance that is new that comes along. Its kind of like "Yay, lets remember how great our visits to WDW were when we were kids and they still kept the Magic Kingdom clean!" In 20 years are we going to look back and say, "Yay, lets remember our trip in 2010 when they took our picture and put it on the castle as we were making memories for us to remember now!".

And the sadder part, as you mention, is that they feel their product (the experience at a "Disney Park") is so watered down and weak on its own now, that they constantly need a new gimmick every year to make people think that something is happening worth drawing them back. Why not build more attractions, or update or improve the current ones? Believe me, that will draw way more people back, and give them a much better experience than some half baked marketing campaign.

BRER STITCH

Maybe I missed it but...

Is there a link to the new theme song that was referenced to be created for the new campaign?

Is it even out yet?

Thanks!

:wave:

New2WDW

I agree with most of the other posts that the sketch, tink, pixie dust effects are really cool, but the pictures can go! I kinda like the tink flybye on the castle better that the actual tink on the string! I wonder if they will use that at the beginning of the fireworks instead.

Eyorefan

Count me as another person who is not into the family pictures, but everything else was cool.

Honestly though, I can live with the pictures, but what is with that huge white screen? Take that off so we can see the castle! I hope its something they can bring out just at night because if it stays up there all day that would just be depressing! :hurl:

MKCP 1985

Actually, I think the plan is to give everything in WDW its own Facebook page.

Spaceship Earth needs a hand these days LMAO
48,576 people like this.

Mr. Toad Anybody got a couch I can crash on, being homeless sux
Winnie-the-Pooh Sorry dude, we're full

Aurora and Cinderella are not attending the event "Princess Housewarming @FL!!!!"

Yeti joined the group "Disco Fever"

Main St. Electrical Parade updated its hometown to Orlando, Fla.
DL AP dude when u comin back
Main St. Electrical Parade idk

Disney and Marvel are in a relationship.
Fanboiz Bout time u 2 got together LOL.

Universal and Marvel are in a relationship and it's complicated.
Disney Ummmm
Marvel I can explain. Txt me

Disney Dining removed "Quality" from its interests.

Harry Potter is laughing maniacally. :) :) :)
TDO stfu

Mickey Mouse Looks like I'm losin my vacation home, any ideas where I can get a new 1?
DVC Come see me tomorrow, might have some ideas
Mickey Mouse OK cool

Pleasure Island is sooooooooooo bored
Pleasure Island Hello?
Pleasure Island Anybody???
River Country Sucks huh?
Pleasure Island FML

:ROFLOL: Where's the "like" button for this post? :ROFLOL:

Come on Steve, don't let WDW outstep you in technology! :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom