'Let the Memories Begin' castle projection test video

erinshaneb

one more thing...(sorry i just can't seem to step off the soap boxx) part of the magic of MAGIC KINGDOM is the castle..this was my daughter's first visit and we stationed my father around the corner and in front of us to get that "first" look shot..it was magical..she was so excited and started jumping and down and shaking..now can you imagine the reaction if a little girl sees the castle for the first and it looks like a bad night at Aunt Esther's watching a vacation slide show?? Don't ruin the whole appearance of Cinderella's Castle..you will take away the magic that is soooo real to little girls (and some big..lol)..I had to explain to my husband that to my daughter these princesses are REAL people..So seeing Snow White is like meeting (insert famous guy here..ha ha ha) and if you use her house to display bad photos it will ruin the illusion...

ChrisFL

Premium Member
one more thing...(sorry i just can't seem to step off the soap boxx) part of the magic of MAGIC KINGDOM is the castle..this was my daughter's first visit and we stationed my father around the corner and in front of us to get that "first" look shot..it was magical..she was so excited and started jumping and down and shaking..now can you imagine the reaction if a little girl sees the castle for the first and it looks like a bad night at Aunt Esther's watching a vacation slide show?? Don't ruin the whole appearance of Cinderella's Castle..you will take away the magic that is soooo real to little girls (and some big..lol)..I had to explain to my husband that to my daughter these princesses are REAL people..So seeing Snow White is like meeting (insert famous guy here..ha ha ha) and if you use her house to display bad photos it will ruin the illusion...

Agreed 100%

sponono88

Here's another example of what Disney can do with this technology

[youtube]Yv-xq38xKak[/youtube]

Space Mountain: Ghost Galaxy at DL

jt04

Here's another example of what Disney can do with this technology

[youtube]Yv-xq38xKak[/youtube]

Space Mountain: Ghost Galaxy at DL

I really am a fan of these type effects. IASW Christmas at DL, SM and now the castle. I hope they do some seasonal stuff such as Valentines Day, St Patrick day, 4th of July week etc. It is amazing.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
DLP Wishes, although rarely played due to laws, uses projection and it looks VERY cool from the video. I believe the Blue Fairy is projected on the castle during her speaking roles and the castle had some kind of blinking magic lights (only parts that really stood out) :shrug:

I do remember it was pretty cool though, so you may want to Youtube it?

and yet it's not so cool in person.

The big danger with projections is that they soon start to become an easy way of doing a show. It's no substitute.

jt04

Yep its a very fine line. Before you know it, you get into a similar situation of screens VS animatronics.

I admit I am a bit conflicted on screen technology. It certainly has potential benefits as a ride technology. Images can be much more vivid, content can be much more versatile, fewer failures, easier updates, 3D potential etc.

I would actually like to see Disney create a Haunted Mansion that only uses 3D screen tech in the background with standard sets in the foreground. I think it could be very visually compelling. :eek:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I admit I am a bit conflicted on screen technology. It certainly has potential benefits as a ride technology. Images can be much more vivid, content can be much more versatile, fewer failures, easier updates, 3D potential etc.

But all of those things can be done in the home, including 3D. Screen based stuff is well within the reach of the consumer. The parks need to do things that you cant do at home - such as massive, fully realized sets.

Take the new motion control stuff from Sony and Microsoft. Get yourself a projection screen and one of the new controllers and you have the capability of running Toy Story Mania in your home, minus the ride vehicle. But how important is the ride vehicle to that attraction anyway? Screen based attractions will age very quickly, unless they can differentiate themselves from something that can be achieved at home. WDI need to push the envelope and get some wow stuff into the parks, be it screen based or something else.

hpyhnt 1000

I would actually like to see Disney create a Haunted Mansion that only uses 3D screen tech in the background with standard sets in the foreground. I think it could be very visually compelling. :eek:

I've actually wondered if they could do something like this as a way to bring a Holiday overlay to Florida's Mansion. Two of the complaints about HMH is the somewhat lengthy down time to set everything up, and then once its up, its up permanently until the end of the year. Some kind of digital projection technique like you're alluding to would eliminate the long downtime and would allow effects to be turned on and off at the flick of a switch.

Imagine the possibilities during the holidays; during the day, the HM would be normally themed, but then by late afternoon, with a flick of a switch, the Mansion would take on a whole new appearance. It'd require some significant upfront costs probably, but once its up, WDI would have the ability to essentially change the Mansion's story and visuals in literally a few minutes.

jt04

I've actually wondered if they could do something like this as a way to bring a Holiday overlay to Florida's Mansion. Two of the complaints about HMH is the somewhat lengthy down time to set everything up, and then once its up, its up permanently until the end of the year. Some kind of digital projection technique like you're alluding to would eliminate the long downtime and would allow effects to be turned on and off at the flick of a switch.

Imagine the possibilities during the holidays; during the day, the HM would be normally themed, but then by late afternoon, with a flick of a switch, the Mansion would take on a whole new appearance. It'd require some significant upfront costs probably, but once its up, WDI would have the ability to essentially change the Mansion's story and visuals in literally a few minutes.

True. They could start with a screen that lowers in front of the ballroom scene.

I was just thinking they could put up a giant screen at CBJ every November and project an animated 4D Holiday show (snow falling, Christmas tree smell etc) Meanwhile annual maintenance could be taking place on the regular show behind the screen. I think there is unlimited potential with this tech.

PS- I can't get over how good 'pencil drawing' castle looks. I want to see TRON castle :lol:

GLaDOS

Take the new motion control stuff from Sony and Microsoft. Get yourself a projection screen and one of the new controllers and you have the capability of running Toy Story Mania in your home, minus the ride vehicle. But how important is the ride vehicle to that attraction anyway? Screen based attractions will age very quickly, unless they can differentiate themselves from something that can be achieved at home. WDI need to push the envelope and get some wow stuff into the parks, be it screen based or something else.

Very well said, wdwmagic. Unless a screen based ride is done extremely above and beyond the bar like Spider-Man or Potter, they tend to lose their luster fairly quickly.

AAs are what made Disney, WED, and WDI great.:)

Maerj

Just watched the video...eeek! The only part that was cool was the Tinkerbell flying around, I like that. The sketchy lines are weird looking and the pictures look tacky. The idea of the pics and videos isn't all bad but I would never put them on the castle! I don't know whee else to do it but not on the main focal point of the park.

Could they maybe just stop coming up with celebrations? please???

Cmdr_Crimson

The use of the projector is good..I'd still like to see something done for Haunted Mansion tho..Like they did the storyline of Phantom Manor on the building.
[youtube]Hppx1frhnuQ[/youtube]

jt04

But all of those things can be done in the home, including 3D. Screen based stuff is well within the reach of the consumer. The parks need to do things that you cant do at home - such as massive, fully realized sets.

Very well said, wdwmagic. Unless a screen based ride is done extremely above and beyond the bar like Spider-Man or Potter, they tend to lose their luster fairly quickly.

AAs are what made Disney, WED, and WDI great.:)

That is because robotics were unique and futuristic but not so much today. Average people are much more exposed to automation and the concept is no longer near as unique as it was. Whereas visual graphics can really be visually interesting. I'm not against AA's. I just think there are other boundries Disney can push forward with screen technology. Ideally they will use every technology in a manner that best helps tell a story.

And nothing seems to indicate TSMM is losing its luster.

Just my 2 cents.

MarkTwain

There is definitely potential in the technology and infrastructure created to project the images on the castle. However, Cinderella Castle is just not the right place to be projecting such guest photographs. If you really want to show the pictures I'm sure a number of smaller-scale efforts could be placed in differenrt areas of the park(s), and Tink flying around the castle works too, but pictures on the castle seems both odd and forced.

This.

At an meeting earlier today for my university's chapter of an architecture student association, we played a slide show set to music that was pretty just like this, as a means of encouraging other students to go to a national conference.

Glad to see that a national icon, as well as a masterpiece of John Hench/Herb Ryman design, has been reduced to the equivalent of a college slide show projection screen. :rolleyes:

Disneyson 1

Love the sketchy Castle (I bet they'll start with the fact that Walt's dream was merely pencil on paper... until it turns real!!) The pictures on the castle are INCREDIBLY tacky. Why not make a wall of pics on the castle and simply have them fade in and out? The "screensaver" presentation is horrible. The ending of the video is VERY intriguing... using the WoC projections on the castle is very interesting... I would love the "Part of Your World" portion of the castle fireworks to include the ocean projections! And the green Maleficent flames would make an incredible addition to the finale of Halloween Screams or maybe even the finale of Wishes!

So much possibility... too many pictures.

jt04

The use of the projector is good..I'd still like to see something done for Haunted Mansion tho..Like they did the storyline of Phantom Manor on the building.
[youtube]Hppx1frhnuQ[/youtube]

Wow! THAT was amazing. I had never heard of this show. Very Halloween-ish! Thanks for the link.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom