Let’s Get Down to Business, to Defeat… the Run: A Wine & Dine Half Marathon TR

What can I say? I’ve been more than just a little obsessed with naming my reports after Disney songs as of late!

Things have been quite crazy in our lives since the last trip report was posted. We spent the better parts of October and November house hunting and then found our “dream” home just before Thanksgiving. Our fabulous realtor got us in to see it the very same day and we put an offer on it that night! Crazy, I know. But smart because it turned out that multiple other offers came in the very next day. We took another Disney trip over Thanksgiving and then upon returning, we closed on our house. Moved in right before Christmas and we’ve spent the last month trying to get situated. All excuses for why this trip report is incredibly late and also the reason why I’ve been MIA on the trip report forum as of late. Not only do I need to get my reports posted, but I need to catch up on so many of your fabulous reports, as well – my apologies, as I’ve been reading, but not responding!

So on to this trip report…

When: September 29th – October 3rd
Where: Disney’s All-Star Music Resort
Why: Wine & Dine Half Marathon
Who: Mr. and Mrs. Hollybelle

marathon_finisher_asi.jpg

Yep, that’s us, after miraculously surviving the 2009 marathon - all the gory details here: Going the Distance from Mile 1 to 26.2!

Let’s back up a bit – like, to the middle of last year. :lol: June 2011 rolled around and I started getting the bug to do another Disney race. It hit me that we had participated in Disney races in 2008, 2009, and 2010. Surely we couldn’t let 2011 go by without lacing up the running shoes. There was only one rule – NO half-a$$ training. For real, this time. We both vowed to find a training schedule and stick to it like white on rice.

This time around it was about so much more than finishing the race. You see, we managed to accomplish that when we finished the Princess Half on no more than a couple of two or three mile runs – I won’t even pretend to call those training runs. And if I’m being honest, finishing that race didn’t really feel like much of an accomplishment because I knew so much more could have been accomplished if I’d only put forth the effort. No, the purpose of this race was not to finish it, but to train for it. The battle was not fought on the day of the race, but in the three months prior to it. For me, it was about goal setting and follow-through. For Brett it was about redemption. He claimed that this was a “business” trip... and he meant it.

With that we spent the month of July building up a base with some short 2-3 mile runs around the neighborhood. At the beginning of August we scoped out a local park/trail to do our long runs on and we found a very basic training plan that required a total of three runs per week over the course of eight weeks. Why did we choose a training schedule with a mere three runs per week? Because we don’t like to run. :eek: :lol: No really, I found that while training for the 2009 Marathon, I burned out long before I reached the halfway point in my training – and I attribute it in part to the fact that I was running five days a week.

The most basic of training schedules: http://mba.tuck.dartmouth.edu/pages/clubs/triathlon/training/Half_Marathon.htm

I’m proud to say we didn’t miss a single run, and believe me when I tell you that there were quite a few days when I really, really, did not want to suit up and hit the pavement. I feel like I’m constantly reading about people who love to run – folks who are itching to get outside and lose themselves in the steady rhythm of a good run. As much as I may wish it to be true - that is NOT me. And that’s okay. Throughout this experience, I found that what got me out the door was dedication to my goal, not the lure of the run itself. Don't get me wrong, the endorphin high that came after finishing a difficult run was addicting, but not the run itself.

A bit more specificity about our goals – Brett’s redemption goal was a two-hour finish time. Aside from not missing a training run, mine was to simply run all 13.1 miles (no walking) with the hopes of coming in under two and a half hours. From the very beginning, we split up. We went out to do our runs at the same time each day, but unlike all our runs of the past, we didn’t run together. Instead, we found ourselves passing by one another, high fiving, as we each moved along to our own beat. This allowed Brett to move at a more challenging pace, and it allowed me to find my own personal motivation to keep going.

Unfortunately, when he was about 5 miles into our last long run, a piercing pain shot up Brett’s calf. I remember coming around the edge of the running path to grab a gel at mile 4, only to find Brett leaning against the car, looking a bit distraught. He did the smart thing and bailed on the run. I offered to stop with him, but he wouldn’t hear of it. So he spent the time stretching at a picnic table while I finished the final 6 miles of my last long run. He put in a solid two miles for our last easy run the Tuesday before departure and we both hoped upon hope that all his prior training would be enough to carry him through race day.

An instagram Brett snapped as he waited for me to finish a long run – I’m not sure what it is about this picture, but I love it. It reminds me of all our training:

IMG_0086.jpg

With that, it was time to put our training to the test, and get down to business... Shang-style! :lol:

Shang.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
YAY, everyone is joining in on the running!!! ToT 10 miler should be a good time to have a meet and great with all the ladies of WDWMagic

Wish I could do this one – but I think I’m holding out for Marathon Weekend.

awesome report. i also meant to tell you that i absolutely loved your wedding report! you looked beautiful and the whole private ceremony was just perfect. i really wish we chose to do that but we were so worried about everyone else and having everybody at our wedding. but it is the plans for a 10 year anniversary vow renewal ceremony there! i loved the pics from the cruise. i have never been on one period and those pics and the report really make me want to go on one!

Thank you so much! You should totally do it for your ten year anniversary – there’s just something about having an intimate event that makes it so romantic. DO IT! And the cruise, too. It’s a must for all Disney fans!

Awesome trip report! My family and I were there the same dates you all were there except we arrived on September 25th and left the evening of October 1st. We went to 2 MNSSHP and they were both CrAzY! I don't know if everyone wanted to be there at that time of the year because of the 40th Anniversary or what but it was seriously Chip and Dale NuTs! Of course, here lately it seems like there's not a less crowded time to go EVER anymore! Either that or everyone just decides to go the same time we decide to go. Congratulations on completing the race that's so totally awesome! I would NEVER be able to run that far, I simply just wouldn't make it! Do they have a walking marathon? Now that I could do!

The busy-ness of the weekend really was nuts. I think there was just so much going on… from the half marathon to the 40th to the first weekend of the festival. It was crazy!

I know what you mean about it being peak season all the time – I remember my first few trips back in 2004 and 2005… the parks were a ghost town then in comparison to now.

As for walking the marathons – absolutely! There are lots of people who train as walkers and walk the entire time. So, I say do it!

Where did u get those waffles? I can't find them on any menu on allears and I love bananas foster so I would love to try them

Roaring Fork! It’s the counter service place over at the Wilderness Lodge. I have yet to find anything like them anywhere else.

Yay, another Holly TR!

I've been to three MNSSHP, and I was at the same party as you. Strangely enough, I had a similar, listless-kinda night. I went on the Peoplemover several times, Haunted Mansion, and met a few characters. It was a nice night, but not like the others. Strange, I know.

Perfect word choice – listless. That really is a good summation of the night for us. Weird that your experience was similar.

I met the same Gaston (in a bunch of your pics, it seems like I was around near the same time, lol). I commented, "Wow, your muscles sure are huge." His reply, "Aren't they though? Thank you!" I LOVED him. Definitely looking forward to meeting him again

That Gaston was the highlight of my night!!!

This TR reminds me, though, that I need to reach out more on the forums. So many WDWMagic-ers that I could've met and put faces to names! I came down for the weekend only, solo, so it would've been nice to meet people.

Ah well, I'm planning on moving to Central Florida next September (I recently went full-time freelance in my copywriting career to help reach that goal). Then I can mosey on down to the parks when I want

How awesome that you are able to live where you want!? Congrats on the new freelancing position and upcoming move! Brett and I hope to one day live in the Central Florida area, as well. That would make it so fun to meet up with other forum members when they’re in town.

Ummmmmmmmm.............Wow. Just Wowzers! Amazing perspective!

Thank you!

We've stayed in the Country section before - it's out there isn't it? But you know, it's not *that* much farther than Broadway (which we've stayed in before too.) But it is honestly the farthest point possible from the food court, bus stops, etc!

Gotta love those country boots! :lol: We don’t normally notice it when we are farther away from the bus stops and food court because we rarely use them, but we definitely noticed it this trip – especially when we returned from the half marathon and had to schlep all the way back to the room!

I am exactly here - and I want to read so much more! But I have to go pack! We leave for the World tomorrow!!!! I'm coming back later tonight though if I get all the laundry done!

What?! We could’ve met up and missed one another again? I saw you started a trip report – curse work for making me wait to indulge! I can’t wait to read it.

Great trip report Holly. Would you post of picture of you and Brett's Christmas tree? I have a 4 foot tree that I do in just disney ornaments. I would love to see yall's plush tree.

Thank you so much! Here’s a link to a post in one of my previous reports – it has pictures of the tree: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showpost.php?p=4401007&postcount=32

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Hey Holly, Great trip report! Your picture with Flora, Fauna and Merriwether is so good. That is the character stop that I met Brett at! Mine didn't turn out well....it was really fuzzy..... All my other pictures turned out great so I can't complain too much! Anyway, thanks for sharing your trip!

Thanks, Tena! Oh yeah.. I meant to include that in my report and then I think I totally forgot because I didn’t really write about Brett’s race experience. It’s so crazy that you came upon him in that sea of people! The night race certainly made for a lot of fuzzy pictures in my case, too.

great trip report holly! i am so envious of your hard core training mentality. wes and i are running in the princess half marathon in 22 days and i have been seriously slacking on the training. at this point, i am just hoping to finish the race under 3 hours. i'm sorry that you both didn't meet your time goals for the race but you both should be so proud of how close you came! very impressive! and that medal is amazing. thanks for sharing another fabulous trip report! can't wait to read the next one.ba

oh...and i absolutely LOVE your trip report title! i remember when the disney channel used to play music videos during commercial breaks and i always loved when they played that song from mulan. my friends and i would sing along with the video. fond memories of that song.

You can totally do it, Ashley! That Princess Half has nothing on you. I’m excited that another trip reporter is running the race – I can’t wait to read all about it and see your pictures.

Much love for Mulan!

Yay, I got to read your report!! You did such an awesome job getting it all up at once, very efficient! So as usual, I have taken notes while reading, so my comments will stretch from start of the report to finish so I hope they are not confusing.

You mentioned you are not the type of person who loves/likes running. I totally get that. Running is hard!! And honestly it can seem just awkward to go on and on and on...I happen to be one of the people who love running, and it is because running is a HUGE stress-reliever for me. I started back up regularly at the start of the year and I have set a 1000-mile goal this year. I am running a 5K this weekend, then a St. Patty's Day 8K in March, a Rock n Roll Half in May and then some others...and a marathon in October!!

Holy mother! 1000 miles this year! Now, that is impressive. How’s it going so far? All of your upcoming events sound like so much fun – I hear the Rock n Roll events are a lot of fun!

I definitely find that running is a stress reliever for me, as well, but I feel it more after the fact. I still hold out hope that I’ll start enjoying the actual running more, but I’m not holding my breath. :lol:

So we're 5 weeks into the year, and while it's going very well...I still hate those first 2 miles! But all-in-all you know what I love? Thanks to Disney, all types of runners are getting involved. Kuddos to Disney for giving people motivation to get out and run...whether they love it or not, right? Everyone loves a Disney race, it's an amazing experience.

I loved reading about your training plans. It was cool to read about your separate goals and how you encouraged one another. You two are great partners!

I think it’s a weird sport in that people who truly love to run, still find that they hate little bits and parts of it (like the first two miles). Those miles should be cake due to your abilities, and yet, they still find a way to suck sometimes.

I enjoyed training separately so much more than I thought I would. It made it feel more like what I was doing was for myself and not someone else – in a good way. If that makes any sense.

(...and the trip report portion starts...)

Phineas and Ferb! Sorry you didn't end up meeting them! I totally get why you really haven't had much exposure, I would say they appeal to the bigger-kid group. My kids are all in that group so I get plenty of exposure! But I encourage you, watch a few episodes with Brett...the characters are so awesome! I personally love Dr. Doofenshmirtz the best! He's a hilarious villian!

I’m thinking we need to Netflix some episodes or something when we have time – that show has gained a huge following!

While reading about your night at the MNSSHP and the "funk" you were talking about, I totally empathized with you. We had this happen on our last trip, last full day. It stinks! However, I LOVE your character pic with Dr. Facilier! What a great stance!! And the Marios and Luigis...it surprises me too that these costumes are so popular...and kind of annoys me. I like my kids to try out original costumes that are more homemade(like you were mentioning). A great example was this year, my oldest son Caleb was Barack Obama. :) Lastly, the stitch was awesome! My middle son was actually that exact Stitch costume in his 626 outfit this year! It is a costume we have had since the movie originally came out. That was cool to see!

I totally remember reading about that last day of your most recent trip report! I actually thought of you when I was writing that portion of the report – it’s weird to get in a funk when you’re at the happiest place on earth, but it does happen.

Love the Barack costume!!

(...and onto the race) Wow you guys did awesome in the race!! It was so great to hear how your body took it and you did so great! And Brett really did great too! So sorry he started feeling it at the end. Maybe one day Disney will come up with a Triathlon and he can swim and bike and you can run I loved hearing about the Wine and Dine, it does sound like a great race to attempt running goals, rather than stopping every mile to party and see characters. Both experiences are great!

Your bling was awesome!!!

Oooh, I love the idea of a relay triathlon at Disney. How fun would that be? They do a Half Ironman every year that starts and ends somewhere near Fort Wilderness. Only, it isn’t sponsored by runDisney – it’s part of the Ironman series’. My cousin has done it a few times. But I guess the bike portion leaves Disney property for quite a ways and then swings back around.

The bling is amazing!!

The Brown Derby experience was weird...what's the point of a ressy there? Geez. I was to read about your San Angel dinner! I, myself have given it a bad review before, but your dinner looked delicious! Even though my experience wasn't great, I have really been rooting for it to get better because of the awesome atmosphere you were talking about!

That atmosphere really is amazing at San Angel – it’s top of the line. I’ve never walked away from the place touting it as my favorite meal of the trip, but it’s always been good and add to it the atmosphere and you’ve got a winner for that reason.

I loved all of your pictures as usual! You guys are so fun to follow on your trip reports! I just figured out Instagram myself, and I loved Brett's photos.

I hope you had a great Disney weekend! How lucky that your job sends you down there from time to time...that's a job worth keeping for a long time!

Instagram is amazing! I love that little app. And it’s been fun for me to see Brett enjoying a little bit of picture taking on our most recent trips – even if it is with his iPhone. :D

I have been super lucky to have work trips in the area this year – nothing on the horizon for the next year, as far as I can tell, but hopefully they’ll be another one soon. I need to keep finding co-op opportunities in that area for my students and then it’ll justify a visit!

RunDisney is a totally addictive race series. I have only ran the Princess Half but I want to check them all off of my list! I have my sights set on the Disneyland Half Marathon in September of this year. We don't know what we are doing at this point. We just can't seem to get concrete plans on the book. The ultimate plan is that we want to purchase a travel trailer. There are quite a few "natural" attractions we want to explore here on the west coast prior to our next move(2013) and then we want to be able to use our travel trailer on our cross-country move, whatever direction it may take us. Ben is totally for me registering for the DHM but I hesitate...you see we already know that we're going to put San Diego as our #1 station pick for when we are re-assigned and I wonder if I will feel silly going all the way down there now and doing the half then ending up moving right next door! I just can't decide! DHM is filling up fast...I think it opened just 2 weeks ago and it's already 60+% full. I don't know what to do...do I just sign up and do it??

I’m with you – I totally want to check them all off my list (even the Goofy!). I haven’t ran anything but Disney, and I’m afraid something else just won’t be able to live up to it. But then again, I shouldn’t expect it to – there’s no other way to get that type of experience when you’re a Disney lover.

I think you should totally sign up for the DHM. If you have the opportunity to do it now then I would make it happen. Who knows if you’ll be right next door in 2013. And if you are, then you can always do it again. :animwink: I’m shocked it got up to 60% that quickly.

Oooh and I totally owe you a PM! Congrats on the travel trailer!!!

Speaking of 2013...I hate that I will most likely be missing the cruise! We will be moving, I might be in nursing school, etc. I will be missing you gals!

This makes me sad, too. I had visions of you, Shannon, myself, and anyone else we could wrangle in, doing the Castaway Cay 5K together! :(

Hey Holly!

Long time lurker, first time poster...haha. Love your trip reports as always...but this part cracked me up specifically. My BF, Mark, and I CANT stop saying it after we ride that ride. Glad to see we're not the only ones!

Secondly, I'm running (aka limping through since I havent trained) the Princess Half on Feb 26th and will definitely be cashing in on some BioFreeze.

I'm attempting my first COMPLETE trip report based on our trip this weekend. Gotta take inspiration from you and WDWFigment.

Hooray for posting! I love posters!! We get stuck on little quotes – I think my favorite are the quotes from the Dinosaur pre-show. It alters the homing signal and that’s not good! We have a chalkboard on our kitchen wall and we’re always leaving random quotes up there for one another to find – Admiral Ackbar was recently featured. :D

Hooray for the Princess Half next weekend! Say hello to the Biofreeze volunteers for me! Looking forward to the trip report!

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Thanks for the report--CONGRATS!!

Love running at Disney and making a run a component of the trip!!

Congrats on making your goal...looks like you both had a great time. Did you get to ride Soarin' after the race?? Was there a long line?

I was at the Wine & Dine and felt that race had more "going on" than the Half Marathon this past January. More characters and a better course at W&D.

Are you both signed up for any other Disney Races this year?

Thanks, Don! We did ride Soarin’ after the race – the line was practically non-existant, which is a miracle in itself.

I haven’t run the January half, but I’m surprised to hear that there was more “going on” at the W&D. I can see where the course is better (with the exception of a few of those twists/turns in DHS), because the traditional half is one long out and back. I definitely felt there was more going on with the pre-race area, but I attributed that more to the energy level of the crowd and the time of day.

I always love your trip reports! Grats on the half marathon! Hopefully, I'll be participating in one this year or next

Thanks, emcclay! You will have so much fun running one of these events – they’re addictive!

Whats going through Germany without beer? MMMMM...I love me some amber and somewhat darker beer. Congrats on the 1/2 Marathon! I love reading your TRs! Your pictures are incredible!

My sentiments exactly! I’m all about the amber beers.

Thanks, dragwit!

OMG we were at 2 parks the same day as you guys awe boooooooo my girls woulda loved to see the princess (thats what thewy called you when I was reading your wedding report)

Aww.. I didn’t realize you were there at the same time – although, your daughters may’ve been sorely disappointed if they’d met the everyday me. :animwink: Unlike the real princesses, I don’t “live” in a ballgown!

Love the report! Congrats on your goals. BF is planning to run the ToT race in Sept. I don't think I am quite ready for that but I am hoping to race in 2013.

I have mentioned to you before that I passed you in Epcot on Oct. 2. Seeing your pictures was wonderful because I passed you in France right when you were taking the picture you posted. I should have stopped and gotten advice from 2 Disney brides.

Yes! I wish you would’ve stopped – I still owe you a PM, as well. I promise I haven’t forgotten! I’m going to get to those next – as soon as I get these responses posted.

Finally got to catching up on the report since getting back to reality (boo reality)

It was so great to see you last week and get the chance to talk to you more!!! And running into you and Brett in DTD

Boo is right! It was great seeing you and your mom again.

Back to the report! Congrats to you both for finishing the race! And you were still very close to your goals I wouldn't be discouraged!

I am very disappointed we didn't get to try that Pork Slider over at the Hawaii booth, that looked so good! There was a few things that we didn't get a chance to try because we were too full.

I also have to agree with you on the calamari salad..it has an odd taste to it. Not my favorite.

Love the picture of all of us!!! It was so great to meet you that weekend, made the trip that much better!

Thanks for another great hollybelle trip report as always!

AWWWW

I guess missing out on the pork slider just means that you’ll have to put it at the top of your list and go back this year. :D You can bypass the calamari this time to make room!

Sooo late commenting on your awesome trip report!!!

KAREN!!! Where’ve you been?! Busy, busy, I take it!!

First things first, so proud of you for completing the marathon!!! Bummer that Brett didn't get his goal but still so awesome that it was so close! Still a great time!

Ok now on to the serious stuff...I'm am ridiculously jealous that you met Carl Fredrickson. First Boo, now this. Almost makes me want to run 13.1 miles to meet him AND Vader!!! So awesome/jealous!

I have no doubt that this can be arranged!

Yes, I am not an ax murderer. I prefer numbchucks. More fun for me and the victim.

Seriously though, Tim and I so enjoyed our lunch with you and Brett! We definitely would love to have more play time with you guys in the World again soon!

So, I’m thinking that you can vouch for both Shannon and I so are little trio should be safe! As safe as is possible with your numb chucks around, anyway!

Brett and I thoroughly enjoyed lunch with you guys – I’m so sorry we didn’t catch you this time – I ended up having some flight issues on Wednesday.

Well Hollybelle, another GREAT trip report! I was laid up today after having some minor surgery (feeling grumpy I might add) so I checked out the trip report forum and up pops a trip report for you!!! Soooo, you totally took my mind off of today so thanks! I truly love reading your reports and really enjoy when it happens to be race trip report. So thanks girl! On to some comments....

First, love the pics (as always). I was so bummed for you guys that there wasn't many characters during the race. Boo. But, I am so happy for you and your overall time! Hopefully Brett's leg is feeling better. You guys HAVE to keep running these Disney races for the simple fact that I love reading your race reports (HA). Just kidding!!!

I’m sorry you’ve been a little under the weather lately – although, it does make for a decent time to get caught up on all the great trip reports. Hmmm… maybe I should call in sick one day this week. :lookaroun

I have plans of running more races so I expect there will be more race reports to keep you entertained!

Second, I have to say that your wedding band/engagement ring combo is very pretty! I am fairly certain I did see the combo in your wedding report but I notice it in a pic you posted this time around and just wanted to comment that it is a very pretty combo.

Lastly, congrats on the new house! Home ownership is wonderful. May you and Brett have many happy years together in that home!

Thank you! I still marvel at my ring combo every now and then when it pops up in pictures.

Home ownership has been fabulous so far – we’re loving our little dream house that we found. And I’m trying not to break the bank as I design/decorate each of the rooms!

Wow, such a great report! LOVED the race! Congrats to both you and Brett on your awesome times! Sounds like the Wine and Dine is the best Disney race for a PR based on lack of character love. Loved the shot with Flora, Fauna, and Merriweather and the dancing Fantasia animals were pretty sweet too. I really really wanted to run this race because I would have turned 29 in the middle of the race but school is a little more important than race bling.....at least, that what I kept telling myself haha. I am going to run the full in 2013 though.

Hmmm… school vs. race bling?! I don’t know, that’s a tough call!! Kidding. Maybe you can pick up the race bling for your 30th?! This race really was a lot of fun and I’d definitely recommend it.

Your food and wine pics looked amazing, totally made me hungry. Oh, and Coronarita! Don't knock it till you try it lol. Coronarita is to margarita what champagne is to wine. It's exactly like a good margarita (if they use good tequila.....) with a little bit of bubbly to it. Granted, I was a little tipsy when I had mine, but I thought it was good.

Oh, and a belated congrats on the house! Very exciting for you and Brett. Hope you two are having a great time at the world right now!

A Coronarita fan?! OMG! Now I’m less grossed out by the idea and more intrigued? So you say it makes for a bubbly margarita? I do love my champagne. It may take a little more convincing to actually try it though. Maybe the next time I’m a bit tipsy! :D

I was so excited to see a new trip report from you. I always love reading your reports and I get to feel for a little while like I am there. I wish I was among all of you that got to go a few times each year- so lucky! I am hoping someday to do a run there- if anything could inspire me to run it should be a trip to Disney. Your girls cruise sounds like a blast too especially since you feel like you know everyone after reading all these detailed trip reports. I have 6 weeks until we welcome a new little one to the family and then maybe I can start training for a run in the future while I try to get back to looking human again! Looking forward to more trip reports!

Congratulations on the little one you’re about to welcome home!! I’m thinking that training for a Disney run would be the perfect way to get back in shape post baby. It’d be a great motivator – plus a fun first trip for the littlest one. The runDisney events makes for a nice reason to relax and take it slow.

That's it! I'm going to sign up today so I can't back out. I'm totally gonna do it...somehow. Shelley, I'll be at the back of the pack with you. I'm too old to be fast. LOL! Holly? You in?

Not for the Tower of Terror, unfortunately, but maybe marathon weekend 2013?!

And, Holly, I believe we may need to put together a covert operation to go nab Mellie for the cruise. Seriously.

Oooh I’m liking this idea – we need to kidnap Mel and Kenzie! YES! Operation Cruise Kidnap!

Okay. Loved the finish. You knocked it out of the park as usual. The Wilderness Lodge pics headed out to the boat dock totally take me back, too. It's the little things at the WL that call you back, ya know?

The scary mom & traumatized child on SM, oh my. This is so sad to me. My dad made me ride BTMRR when I was 6, crying, terrified, begging not to have to do it. Nope, had to or else (according to Dad) we were leaving. It scared me so bad. It's one of a few times in my childhood I recall clearly thinking, "This is it. I'm going to die now. The end is right here." I didn't ride again until I was 12 and bribed.

Thanks, Kelly! The Wilderness Lodge’s beauty is so evident in it’s lobby and grounds (and boat to MK) – I just wish that the room décor spoke to me more. I’m not the biggest fan of it.

I vaguely recall this story of yours – I’m just glad that some bribery got you on the ride again later!

The atmosphere at La Hacienda looks so amazing. I wish even good food reports could get me in there. I'm not big on Mexican food and there's now 5 decent Mexican restaurants within 3 miles of us. I wonder how mad they'd be if I went to just sit, eat chips, and drink beer?

Best part about a Mexican restaurant! That and the margaritas (for those of us who didn’t lose a battle with tequila, that is!).

And I'm reminded to ask...You Tweet now??? Please don't tell me you've joined the FB flock, too?! LOL! I'm still resisting like the plague. The thought of being "followed" or "liked" is inherently creepy to me. I shall continue as living proof that there IS a full and happy life without FB! Or Twitter! Oh yeeeeesssss!!!!!!

Can't wait for the next report. How many more are yet to come??? Not that that's a bad thing to have to worry with.

No worries – no facebook account for me! I do have a twitter account though – I use it more to keep up with current events and musicians that we follow.

Two reports left in the line up – Thanksgiving and this recent weekend trip in February! I feel certain that they’ll both be posted before any future trips commence. We have officially layed to rest the Fairytale APs – but, boy oh boy, did they ever get a workout this year!!

So excited to see a Hollybelle trip report! Totally helped me pass down time on my day off- in between vacuuming and baking. Not really sure where to begin, but I will say that I'm going to have to fwd this to my friend so she can take a look. She's getting back into serious running and is looking for inspiration to run a race at WDW (or maybe I'm the one pushing her that way . I don't know why, but those cowboy boots cracked me up each time! Congrats on the race and the house! Can't wait to see future reports!

Oooh, I’m glad you were able to sneak us in among the vacuuming and baking. Baking sounds like fun, but vacuuming? Not so much!

You should totally talk your friend into a WDW race – and you should join her!!

The cowboy boots (and other such décor around the all-stars) really are laughable - so I’m not surprised to hear they cracked you up!!

joanna71985

I love that movie!

Yes, we’ll have to do that! And then vouch for one another on the whole “axe murderess” debate. :lol:

It's such a great movie! I remember seeing it in theater with my dad, siblings, and cousins- we all left the theater laughing. Plus, I loved the song used in Golden Mickeys!

Oh definitely! :D

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Thanks for posting your report! My wife and I have thoroughly enjoyed reading it. We are hoping to do the W+D half this year (2012) - but doing the split version. I have significant knee issues, so she is going to do 8 and I'll do 5 and our DD (8) wants to try the 5k. Really appreciate your photographic sensibilities and the detailed information about the event.

Ariel484

Totally stalking some of your replies...

Thanks so much! I’m glad you’ve enjoyed reading it; I’ve found that the race reports are probably my favorite to write. Lots of people seem to swear by C25K – so I’d say that’s a great place to start!

:wave: Another C25K graduate here. You're totally right that it's a great way to ease into running for the first time.

Almost all of my running skirts are from Target (I think the brand is C9). They’ve got the shorts built in under them, not the briefs. I have a couple Nike ones that I got at TJMaxx but they just aren’t as comfortable as the $20 Target ones! These have a small flap pocket on the inside of the front (which is where I got the idea to add the two extras), and I kept my ID, room key, and a $20 bill in there (emergency fund in case I need a margarita while running and all!).

Okay, thanks. I'll have to keep an eye out at Target. I got a C9 top there on clearance a few weeks back (stupidly cheap...like, less than $10) and I really like it. I had one from Nike and one from Reebok and I hated both of them...major issues with the briefs riding up. Blech!

It's funny, I read about you carrying cash with you in one of your old race reports, and I'd never thought to do that before, and now I do! You never know when you'll *need* a margarita! :cool:

Yes, I’d definitely do the W&D again. But probably not before doing the Donald and the Princess again. The courses are really difficult to compare - when taking characters out of the equation, that is. I absolutely loved the run through the Animal Kingdom, maybe even more so than the run through the MK. I’m weird, I know! But the Studios were practically an obstacle course to get through (and not in a good way). I know this doesn’t apply to you, but for anyone who is looking to do their first Disney race, I definitely would recommend Donald or Princess over the W&D.

I think that's what intrigues me so much about W&D - the portion of the course that goes through Animal Kingdom. I really liked going through Animal Kingdom during the full but I almost felt like we were in and out in minutes. I did NOT enough the Studios at all during the full though (maybe because I was disappointed with the character turnout). I looked at someone else's Google Earth map of the Studios portion of the W&D and you're totally right about it seeming like an "obstacle course" - what's with all the sharp turns?! Yikes! I think the hardest thing for me to adjust to would be doing a night race. That concept just seems so foreign to me. :shrug:

Brett’s been much more into swimming than running these days, which is a great cardio replacement. We totally need to run a race together! How fun would that be?! I won’t tune you out and listen to study sessions on my iPod either. The fact that Princess Craigy runs to something like that absolutely cracks me up. And amazes me all at the same time.

I can't blame Brett for switching to swimming. I like swimming too, just can't find time to fit it in now.

And yes, we should run a race together! I think our paces - and motivation for character photos - are similar. If not, we need to at least meet up during Marathon Weekend. :sohappy: And I also promise not to tune you out with an iPod study session! :lol: :rolleyes:

I think it’s a weird sport in that people who truly love to run, still find that they hate little bits and parts of it (like the first two miles). Those miles should be cake due to your abilities, and yet, they still find a way to suck sometimes.

YES, totally agree with Melanee. The first 2 miles suck. This is a big reason I'm not a fan of running 5ks. But I would make an exception for...

This makes me sad, too. I had visions of you, Shannon, myself, and anyone else we could wrangle in, doing the Castaway Cay 5K together!

I know! :cry: We'll have to run Disney together someday, Melanee...except I think you're too speedy fast for us to keep up! I faithfully read your blog and hope to someday be as fast as you are!

So, I’m thinking that you can vouch for both Shannon and I so are little trio should be safe! As safe as is possible with your numb chucks around, anyway!

What do you think, Karen? Do I get the okay?! :lol:

Oooh I’m liking this idea – we need to kidnap Mel and Kenzie! YES! Operation Cruise Kidnap!

I'm in! Let's do it! Mwahahaha :lookaroun

erstwo

I can't believe it, but I've just finally finished this TR! I saw you replied to my previous comments - yes! Once I was home (or maybe the night I logged in from the Beach Club) I saw that you had posted you were headed to WDW and Brett would join you 'Friday.' I thought "My Friday? The Friday before I arrived? Gah! Potential meet up missed!" :) That's what I get for not finishing a trip report and procrastinating on the packing like usual!!!!! :D

I LOVED this race report. I honestly think I might consider doing the Wine and Dine. Usually, races are something I would never mix with family and Disney is something I *always* mix with family. (If that makes any sense?) I could never imagine being with my family at the parks after a race - I would be wiped out!!! For me, races are usually girls weekends, to support a cause, etc. So runDisney never appealed. Plus I figured my time would be a complete joke after making all the character stops - which would drive me bananas, I'm too obsessive that way! :D Plus when I train, I have to give up so many things I love - like lots of sugar and caffeine. :lol:

But this night time thing looks so much better. I'm a total night owl. What time were you finished do you think? I could totally skip the after party. My kids would be in bed by then for sure. Hmmmm.....

Fantastic Trip Report as usual. Thank you so much for sharing!

TakeMeThere81

Hello again!! :wave:

Holy mother! 1000 miles this year! Now, that is impressive. How’s it going so far? All of your upcoming events sound like so much fun – I hear the Rock n Roll events are a lot of fun!

Running is going well! I am a little behind technically but overall the mileage is averaging out nicely.

I missed the first 5K, but for good reasons...DH surprised me with some adults-only awesomeness in Seattle! I think I included some of that in the PM.

Otherwise the training is going awesome! I chose an earlier marathon for June instead of October. I want to get it done! We are looking into parking our travel trailer near my next races. That way the whole family can be involved without breaking the bank on destination hotels (which always seem to jack up the prices/book up fast thanks to the special event).

Haha, totally!!

Oooh, I love the idea of a relay triathlon at Disney. How fun would that be? They do a Half Ironman every year that starts and ends somewhere near Fort Wilderness. Only, it isn’t sponsored by runDisney – it’s part of the Ironman series’. My cousin has done it a few times. But I guess the bike portion leaves Disney property for quite a ways and then swings back around.

How cool! I had never heard of this! I have no clue if I'd ever be able to complete an Ironman...maybe a mini-tri or something. But only in the south where it is warm. Not here! Too cold...
I’m with you – I totally want to check them all off my list (even the Goofy!). I haven’t ran anything but Disney, and I’m afraid something else just won’t be able to live up to it. But then again, I shouldn’t expect it to – there’s no other way to get that type of experience when you’re a Disney lover.

I think you should totally sign up for the DHM. If you have the opportunity to do it now then I would make it happen. Who knows if you’ll be right next door in 2013. And if you are, then you can always do it again. :animwink: I’m shocked it got up to 60% that quickly.

Oooh and I totally owe you a PM! Congrats on the travel trailer!!!

Thanks! We're so excited!! We went and picked it up last weekend and it's quite a bit bigger than we realized, given that we purchased it in a sea of travel trailers at CenturyLink Field at the RV show...I guess that is how they get you sometimes...when there are hundreds of trailers in one place it skews the scale a little. But thankfully my DH rocks and he can totally handle 32-feet of our Chevy-Chase trailer...

And...I did it! I am all registered for the Disneyland Half Marathon! And not a minute too soon...it sold out yesterday! Can you believe that?? Six months-plus away and it's sold out!

In the end, I felt like you...we just can't say for sure if we'll be living down there in 18 months or not! Plus we made it a whole trip involving Yosemite and other sights. It will be so much fun! We even found a CUTE little RV park one mile from Disneyland Resort! We're such dorks with our travel trailer love!We just HAVE to have our own "homebase" with our three boys...otherwise traveling starts to become un-fun really fast...

This makes me sad, too. I had visions of you, Shannon, myself, and anyone else we could wrangle in, doing the Castaway Cay 5K together! :(

:cry:

NewfieFan

Awesome TR again Holly! You rock the TRs! I almost want to start running when I read about the races (my excuse is the snow is up to my neck outside)...

Well, I guess me and Kelly can vouch for each other - she didn't seem like the axe-murderer kind!?!:lookaroun I'm glad to know we're slowing crossing people off the list...! :lookaroun :lol:

Thanks for taking the time to post!

(I'm way behind on my TR writing! :eek:)

TakeMeThere81

I know! :cry: We'll have to run Disney together someday, Melanee...except I think you're too speedy fast for us to keep up! I faithfully read your blog and hope to someday be as fast as you are!

So great you are a regular reader! I know my blog isn't super eye-catching since a lot is about tracking my everyday runs. I am trying to make it more interesting as different issues pop up and I learn to solve them though. I am always on the lookout for funny videos, quips, etc. As far as being speedy...I can say I have worked on that for years now...and as far as Disney races go...I do not go for time, ever. It is all about F-U-N!! Disney races are a tool I use to remember to just have fun running. It's a great experience!

I don't know if I mentioned it here on Holly's thread(sorry to hijack by the way...:lookaroun) but I am all registered for the Disneyland Half Marathon in September! We will be visiting the parks as well so while it is not for another 6 months, be on the lookout for my trip report!:wave:

WDW_Princess24

I am very late in jumping on board but at least I was able to read it all in one setting! Booo for not finding myself in any of your pictures, it is so weird and random how people cross paths there.

Glad you guys enjoyed the race, I wish I had the stamina to do it...maybe one day! As always, a great trip report with great pics, I'm sure there will be another one coming along soon enough!

p.s. congrats on the new home...so exciting!! :sohappy:

miriamsolana

Hoooollyyyy!!!!

"As we were walking back into the hotel near Roaring Fork, Brett heard someone say “Hollybelle” a couple of times… finally, I caught on that they meant me! It was another forum member, Miriamsolana. We chatted with her for a bit and then went our separate ways, she was off to the Magic Kingdom and had a whole week of Disney ahead of her. If you’re reading this Miriam, I hope you had a fabulous trip – it was great to meet you!"[/QUOTE]

Dear Holly, it was great to meet you too! When we crossed ways and I realized it was you I was super excited!! I was in shock for like 10 seconds and then I started yelling like crazy Hooooollyyyyy!!! Hooooollyyyy!!! For me was like meeting a rockstar! It must be weird that someone you don't know knows details of your life like you love margaritas, cruising, waffles at WL, Ginger, your beautiful wedding, honeymoon...I could barely speak and explain who I was and why I knew you, first because I was nervous and second because my english is kind of poor. You made my day! I love all of your TR! You two are a beautiful couple! And yes, I had a wonderful trip!

fmingo36

Hey Holly!
Came across this TR today at work and decided to give it a read; guess not much is getting done this morning :lol:. As always I love your report and your pictures.
Since I ran my first Disney race-the Disney Princess 1/2 marathon in 2010, all my Disney vacations have been scheduled around a race. Crazy for someone that never ran before! And I'm with you, I am NOT a runner. I still don't like it but I do it so I can go to Disney. I my hubby into running last year and he looks forward to races as well. It's the only way I can convince him to go to Disney AGAIN. (maniacal laugh,maniacal laugh ,maniacal laugh)
Anyways, I love running to Florence + The Machine. Dog Days is one of my favorites! Good choice Brett!
I am very jealous you got a picture w/Gaston. I never knew he was doing M&Gs. I'm hoping he'll be at the villians bash after the TOT10M (my next Disney race :sohappy:).
You should consider the TOT10M. If Brett is having a hard time with the longer distances, this might just be the race for him! And have you seen the medal? The Tower of Terror with moving elevator AND it glows in the dark!
I am hoping to sign up for the Goofy challenge in 2013. The thought of 3 medals including the 20th marathon Anniversary is a HUGE lure for me but there are still a few factors I have to work out before I can commit to it. If I do I would love to meet you and maybe run a few miles together during the race.
Congrats on your W&D 1/2 accomplishment!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom