LaL removal!!!!

CaptainMichael

OriginalEPCOTCenterentranceplaza.jpg

Paris Hilton said:
That's hott.

:lookaroun

IROC it

Wasn't too invasive last year... About May 31st

I hardly noticed it... I was there in Summer of 1983 (IIRC... I was young:animwink:)...

But I didn't remember that this idea was not already there. We'd never been in the first 10 years since married life began... and my daughter was 4, son was 6...

Goin' back at the same time frame this year!

Here's last year's picture of it in the background on the left...
animalkingdomepcot101qx3.jpg

Anyone care to answer my first question?

Can no one do this anymore? We have a group of 8 (us four, 2 grandparents, an uncle and aunt -of the kids) and thought that might be cool to do... if only for the sake of knowing it's there.

Also, how'd people get these for free?

Thanks in advance.

Figment1986

Anyone care to answer my first question?

Can no one do this anymore? We have a group of 8 (us four, 2 grandparents, an uncle and aunt -of the kids) and thought that might be cool to do... if only for the sake of knowing it's there.

Also, how'd people get these for free?

Thanks in advance.

I'm going to guess they will continue to sell spots till they rip out the counter. then again, they might change it to a smaller out of the way area with one camera and sales person near Guest relations? (remember how it is passable to buy a brick at MK still, even though the program ended for them)

The reason some people get it free are because their packages are costing a small fortune already, why not give them a free $25 item.

PoTCGuy

....I would guess they would put a new sculpture in. (the old one was sold)

It was sold? Any idea to whom or whether it's on display anywhere?

Digging back into the dusty recesses of my memory, at the time it was made, it was considered relatively high tech, definitely in keeping with EPCOT Center's theming. I vaguely remember something about it being the largest single piece cast acrylic sculpture in the world (or something like that).

-SIR-

I remember when that sculpture sold on ebay though I dont remember for how much.... I always liked it. I would enjoy seeing a bronze sculpture of a child reaching upwards... I think a bronze sculpture would look great on the rocky fountain... they could call it Tomorrow's Child.

Here we go, took me 20-30 mins to find this..

100_1053.JPG

I ignore this view as much as possible every time I go...but when we were there last week I was taking more pictures from this side because of the food and garden topiaries, and I noticed the monoliths painted on the base of SSE for the first time.
Have they been there since 2000 and I just eliminated them from my memory?

kurros

When we got ours the legalese mentioned that they will only guaranteed to be there until 2008, with the possibility of being put on display somewhere else.

Interesting turn of events with these permits.

Buried20KLeague

Sounds like maybe they changed the terms & conditions as the years went on based on people's different reports of what their paperwork said... Possibly to mean there would be a lower number they had to display for a long period of time, or a smaller number of refunds they'd have to dole out?

Who knows.

I for one am torn on the topic, like someone said earlier. We got the free deal a handful of years back, and we had our two little girls do it. I like the idea of them being able to maybe take their kids to Disney and show them a picture of when they were there when they were little.

And the girls like it being there, because they say it feels like a part of them is always at Disney and never has to leave at the end of the trip.

Someone mentioned a LOOOONG time ago (a couple years maybe?) that possibly a good suggestion would be to take each "tombstone" and place them around the lake in WS. If done properly, I could see that working out okay, and not taking up a great amount of space all in one spot.

:shrug:

ToTBellHop

I ignore this view as much as possible every time I go...but when we were there last week I was taking more pictures from this side because of the food and garden topiaries, and I noticed the monoliths painted on the base of SSE for the first time.
Have they been there since 2000 and I just eliminated them from my memory?
they weren't there at the start of the Millennium Celebration, but they have been there for years. I'm sad that they couldn't come up with something a little more attractive to look at...there are plenty of monuments that they could have built that would have worked much better with the spirit of Epcot. I would have gone with glass instead of stone--had the pictures also etched in glass.

Slowjack

I'm sad that they couldn't come up with something a little more attractive to look at...there are plenty of monuments that they could have built that would have worked much better with the spirit of Epcot. I would have gone with glass instead of stone--had the pictures also etched in glass.
Have to agree with you there. My wife and I did "leave a legacy" so I do hope they stay at Epcot somewhere, but it is odd how this particular design was ever greenlit. It's depressing and not particularly futuristic. Glass would be a definite improvement...they could have left the original fountain in that case.

DisneyChik17

I wish they would get rid of this whole thing. It's tacky looking to me. It's just huge blocks of granite with pictures of people I don't know on them. They should have just done bricks like outside of MK. It makes the entry way conjested and such a pain to navigate.

Champion

I wish they would get rid of this whole thing. It's tacky looking to me. It's just huge blocks of granite with pictures of people I don't know on them. They should have just done bricks like outside of MK. It makes the entry way conjested and such a pain to navigate.

Hard to navigate? The center is a gigantic walkway, as are both of the sides.

However, the rest of your post is true enough.

DisneyChik17

Hard to navigate? The center is a gigantic walkway, as are both of the sides.

However, the rest of your post is true enough.

Maybe that was a poor choice of wording. Not confusing hard, but just a pain to have walk through. We decide which way to go in that walk way and none of our group can walk a straight line so if we are anywhere near it I at least, have a good chance of running into it. LOL!

PKD

I remember when that sculpture sold on ebay though I dont remember for how much.... I always liked it. I would enjoy seeing a bronze sculpture of a child reaching upwards... I think a bronze sculpture would look great on the rocky fountain... they could call it Tomorrow's Child.

Would that be the child of Tom Morrow?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom