Kali River Rapids reopens.... and guess what??

drew81

No, its simple. You cant close the only E-ticket in DAK for 6 months (or longer) without having some other cookie for the guests to go to simply to fix the Yeti. You do that, people will stop coming to DAK as theres not much to do there as it is.

And for those not paying attention, we're down to five tigers. They're getting old.

Animal programs will have to address this at some point. I assume at some point they'll go through AZA and get a sub species that would fit? Or maybe they would take whatever they could like they did when they got these tigers. Who knows.

MickeyPeace

I agree. Kali delivers little in terms of thrills. It is more visually pleasing then thrill inducing..unless you are one of the unfortunate ( or fortunate, depending on your mood..) ones that gets soaked over the falls.

I have yet to have tried Grizzly River Run at DCA ( never was there during any hot spells..) but it always gave me the impression of being similar to Kali but much longer and differently themed. I really like the theme for Kail a lot, it is just a shame it ends once you get on the water and it is so short.

Add into the fact many of the effects are not working, and it kind of takes away from what could have been a better experience.

The lack of effects, I blame Disney. The lack of thrills, I blame the Disney guest. For some reason most people on this forum don't want to get wet on a water rapids ride. Kind of like wanting to ski but not wanting to touch snow. Don't go skiing and let the rest of us enjoy it.
I think Disney is catering to this idiosyncrasy by making a rapid ride with no rapids.

ParentsOf4

The lack of effects, I blame Disney. The lack of thrills, I blame the Disney guest. For some reason most people on this forum don't want to get wet on a water rapids ride. Kind of like wanting to ski but not wanting to touch snow. Don't go skiing and let the rest of us enjoy it.
I think Disney is catering to this idiosyncrasy by making a rapid ride with no rapids.
I don't believe anyone wrote they don't want to get wet; they simply don't want to get soaked.

To use your analogy, when people ski they don't usually like being buried in the snow.:eek:

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I am always fascinated by the idea that the Animal Kingdom was a half day park and then when Expedition Everest was added it was suddenly a full day park. The lines weren't that long.
^That is my argument too.

Funny, I did all E-tickets in a few hours, with 2 rides on E:E on Epcot's 30th weekend. I also know not to travel to WDW-MK in February and expect to ride Splash Mtn. If the plan is to ultimately fix it, shut it down to fix it. EDIT: If not, then carry on.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
So, it appears that everyone is of the opinion that KRR is the crown jewel of the resort and this round of maintenance which greatly enhanced a duo of rafts was the bomb. No?

MickeyPeace

N
^ If that were true, then they would not have included a drop that soaks 1/3 to 1/2 of the raft.

Next time you ride, take note of how many seats get soaked. One person gets soaked and the person next to them half soaked. Been happening that way for years. And the fountain after the lift currently soaks no one. I want to get soaked when I ride a river rapids ride. Whoever doesn't should not go on it. And should not complain if they do.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I don't believe anyone wrote they don't want to get wet; they simply don't want to get soaked.

To use your analogy, when people ski they don't usually like being buried in the snow.:eek:

Exactly! I don't mind getting wet on Splash. When trying to function in completely soaked shoes and under clothing is nasty, that chaffing as you walk and squishing shoes that lead to blisters isn't worth what Kali offers.
Going anywhere in the park that has A/C after the soaking is equally as miserable.

Wish they would put those people driers in at the end of the exit.
new_home_pic.jpg

herc

I agree. Kali delivers little in terms of thrills. It is more visually pleasing then thrill inducing..unless you are one of the unfortunate ( or fortunate, depending on your mood..) ones that gets soaked over the falls.

I have yet to have tried Grizzly River Run at DCA ( never was there during any hot spells..) but it always gave me the impression of being similar to Kali but much longer and differently themed. I really like the theme for Kail a lot, it is just a shame it ends once you get on the water and it is so short.

Add into the fact many of the effects are not working, and it kind of takes away from what could have been a better experience.

It really is sad that Disney (TDO) is letting the parks slide so much. I was just there and I was amazed at the lack of maintenance. I missed last year at WDW as we went west to DL and DCA. I was utterly blown away at the detail of the parks.
Anyway, Grizzly River Run is fun. It seemed pretty long to me and the theming on changing. It went from an extreme sports to a 1940's camping theme. Much better. Supposedly in phase two of DCA's remodel, they are to add animatronic animals.
As for Kali, I don't quite get the entire theme (I know, cutting down trees is bad, but the theming has been cut so bad that it doesn't make sense). Joe Rohde did not do a great job on this one at all.

It seems that while Disneyland is now in great shape, Disney World is going down hill. Talk of Universal and other parks doing wonderful things isn't scaring TDO at all AND IT SHOULD.
Here are a few examples of what is killing WDW:
DHS has a beautiful hall of fame area. They have now destroyed the beauty of it by putting in a check in area for American Idol. If I knew how to upload photos here I would show you.
DAK: I know that Avatar may be coming, but why on earth would you shut down an attraction in a park that does not have enough? I'm talking about the Pocahontas show. It was cute and the kids loved it (it was in Camp Minnie Mickey if you get my drift).
Epcot: Finally working on the outside of Mission Space. The overall impression is that Future World needs help.
MK: While the New Fantasyland is beautiful and plush, there is no substance. Tales with Belle is for kids and kids' parents. Ariel's ride is a dup from DCA. The queue is much better here and it is nice to have a M&G right there. But what's up with the castle walls? What purpose do they hold other than the Fantasy Forest is beyond, correct? But what does that do to Pooh and the teacups? And why on Earth would you create such a beautiful Tangled area and only have it for restrooms? Where is a M&G at least or a shop? And since I was just there, I really don't think that the new entrance into Liberty Square will help that much. Have you seen the lines for the Haunted Mansion? They now run almost all the down to the riverboat.

Tom Morrow

N

Next time you ride, take note of how many seats get soaked. One person gets soaked and the person next to them half soaked. Been happening that way for years. And the fountain after the lift currently soaks no one. I want to get soaked when I ride a river rapids ride. Whoever doesn't should not go on it. And should not complain if they do.
right, but you suggested that the reason the ride is not thrilling is because people don't want to get wet, but how wet you get from the drop - the only thrilling element on the ride, is irrelevant. We were discussing the lack of actual thrilling and exciting rapids throughout the course.

MickeyPeace

right, but you suggested that the reason the ride is not thrilling is because people don't want to get wet, but how wet you get from the drop - the only thrilling element on the ride, is irrelevant. We were discussing the lack of actual thrilling and exciting rapids throughout the course.
I'm not suggesting it. Just read any post on any thread about Kali on here. People complain about getting wet let alone soaked on it. As for thrills, see what I said about Disney meeting guests desire.

MickeyPeace

Your expectations are to get soaked. My expectations are to get wet. No doubt, other people's expectations are to remain dry. We simply have different expectations.;)

That is true. And for those who want to get soaked, go on Kali. Those who don't, simply do go on and let others enjoy it.
Those who want to get wet. Now Splash is that ride. Go on it knowing you may get wet, not soaked.
Those who want to remain dry. Go on Small World and remain dry. Unless you jump overboard.

It's about variety, something for everyone. Not something for a particular group who want everything their way.

Tom Morrow

I'm not suggesting it. Just read any post on any thread about Kali on here. People complain about getting wet let alone soaked on it. As for thrills, see what I said about Disney meeting guests desire.
But my point is that if Disney had, in fact, designed Kali to be a "toned down" rapids ride intentionally to meet guests' desire to "not get wet", then they would not have included a drop that can (but doesn't always) soak half the raft. Heck, in terms of simply getting wet, unlike ending up soaked on Kali, Grizzly gets everyone about equally wet but not much more than what you get on Splash Mountain. Yet, its a far superior and thrilling ride because the river itself has lots of twists and turns and choppier waters.

Figments Friend

....... Grizzly River Run is fun. It seemed pretty long to me and the theming on changing. It went from an extreme sports to a 1940's camping theme. Much better. Supposedly in phase two of DCA's remodel, they are to add animatronic animals.
As for Kali, I don't quite get the entire theme (I know, cutting down trees is bad, but the theming has been cut so bad that it doesn't make sense). Joe Rohde did not do a great job on this one at all.

Yes, i noticed the re-theming this past year when i visited....i liked the re-do on Grizzly quite a bit.
Nice to hear there are plans to add some AA animals. :)

Kali River Rapids has a theme, and quite a rich one if you are versed in Asian folklore and cultures, particularly India. I have a interest in this, so for me the queue is stunning and about 80% of the reason why i ride the few times i do. The various buildings one passes through on your way to the load area set up the story pretty well..but you have to be aware of what you are looking at. The *Black River* is touted as a place or foreboding doom...with the Tiger Temple ,murti grotto, and prayer hall being places where one can ask the gods for safe passage along the river.
The original ride concept was going to have live tigers visable from the river, and you can see many references to them in the queue and even in the elaborated carved wall right before the loading area.

The ride could have used a few more obstacles, but we all already know the story of why Kali ended up so short in length and compact in size. I find it to be a nice little diversion on a hot afternoon...but those effects from the past are indeed missed.

In all the times i have ridden, only once did i get soaked. You can usually tell who that lucky person will be by the time your raft reaches the tail end of the de-forestation scene. It is a fun game to try to guess before you reach that spot, but once your raft hits the top of the chute to begin it*s trip down you will know for sure!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom