Kali River Rapids reopens.... and guess what??

MickeyPeace

I've been to DAK six times and in each and every ride on Kali, I have never seen fire!

I actually forgot the ride had fire until I read about it in this thread. The first time I rode KR was in 2008 and it had the fire effect working. It was very impressive. It also made sense of the smoke smell. I don't think I've seen the fire effect since. "Disney, where there's smoke, there's no fire. Only smoke".

Genie of the Lamp

You have become quite the greeting expert!

Someone has too.:) Apparently that used to be @Rose&Crowner job but I guess I have taken over for him/her. Plus it shows good respect and courtesy for new members as well so they can feel welcomed and free to post on these sites and not get harshly criticised for what they post with intention of it being how they feel on that topic/issue. But yeah I should be known now as the greeting expert. So yeah Kali River Rapids, gotta love it right?:p

Tom Morrow

In addition to being built kind of "bare bones" for a Disney D-ticket attraction, and being short, another problem with Kali is that it just isn't even a very good rapids ride. There's very little actual "rapids" and they are hardly even turbulent, so your raft just kind of bobs along. The only interesting and unique thing about the ride, compared to rapids rides at your local amusement parks, is the drop. As far as I know, very few rapids rides have a chute drop. In fact, it might only be Kali and Grizzly. Anyone know for sure?

Figments Friend

( On the topic of greeting first time posters..)
....it shows good respect and courtesy for new members as well so they can feel welcomed and free to post on these sites and not get harshly criticised for what they post with intention of it being how they feel on that topic/issue.

Boy does this bring back some memories. Too bad you were not around when i first joined this Forum. I had a rather rude *welcoming* by a certain poster who is no longer here when i commented on my concerns at that time for some upkeep issues at EPCOT. It was a happy ending..but the biting reaction was rather off putting. Killed em* with kindness...at the applause of a Mod no less.

That was then...this is now.
I love it here.

:)

Figments Friend

In addition to being built kind of "bare bones" for a Disney D-ticket attraction, and being short, another problem with Kali is that it just isn't even a very good rapids ride. There's very little actual "rapids" and they are hardly even turbulent, so your raft just kind of bobs along. The only interesting and unique thing about the ride, compared to rapids rides at your local amusement parks, is the drop. As far as I know, very few rapids rides have a chute drop. In fact, it might only be Kali and Grizzly. Anyone know for sure?

I agree. Kali delivers little in terms of thrills. It is more visually pleasing then thrill inducing..unless you are one of the unfortunate ( or fortunate, depending on your mood..) ones that gets soaked over the falls.

I have yet to have tried Grizzly River Run at DCA ( never was there during any hot spells..) but it always gave me the impression of being similar to Kali but much longer and differently themed. I really like the theme for Kail a lot, it is just a shame it ends once you get on the water and it is so short.

Add into the fact many of the effects are not working, and it kind of takes away from what could have been a better experience.

TP2000

I think the drop effect is only found at the two Disney parks in America; Kali at DAK and Grizzly at DCA.

DCA's Grizzly has two drops, instead of just the one. And the second drop at Grizzly has the spin effect that starts the rafts spinning just before they go over the drop, and keeps them spinning as they float through the run-out at the bottom of the drop. As seen here in this 8 second video.

There's also an extra two minutes of ride time added to Grizzly, compared to Kali. And indeed, Grizzly seems more rapiddy (I don't think that's a word), with a lot more splashing and rapids and action on the ride compared to the rather placid and calm Kali.

Because Kali is rather short, and fairly calm instead of thrilling, they really should be beefing up the showmanship and special effects you see on Kali. But instead they seem to be doing the opposite.

The shirtless riders on Kali in that video made me chuckle, especially when the CM's quite obviously let them do that without saying a word. A good example of how different the two American Disney properties are run, as the Anaheim CM's would never let something like that happen.

Absimilliard

I totally agree with your take on Kali. It is just a very poor rapids ride that not even Six Flags would build. If you look at the average Six Flags rapids ride (which they invented!), they are usually in a forest area, have waterfalls, big rapids and sometimes a long tunnel. Seems like Joe Rhode spent more time researching the waiting line than going to other parks to see how a rapids is supposed to be done.

As for drops on rapids rides, Kali River Rapids was the first to do it, but then, Intamin did it again on Grizzly River Run. Hafema, a german company did it on a raft ride in Belgium in 2001 and then, the big one in 2002. River Quest at Phantasialand in Germany has one of the wildest history of any ride out there. Basically, in 2001, there was a large fire at the park that burned to the ground a fake mountain that had two rollercoasters in it. The park used the insurance money and offered the following challenge: how to build a raft ride on a tiny surface? Hafema responded with River Quest. Ride was designed, built and opened within like 6 months. The attraction is set in this large castle structure. Your raft floats to one of two elevators. The boat is secured and then taken to the top of the ride. You do a really steep drop out of the elevator and then float around, do the signature whirlpool that end with another drop. You go around some more and go down another drop before ending the ride. Here's a youtube video of what it look like:

dupac

I've been to DAK six times and in each and every ride on Kali, I have never seen fire!

I have ridden Kali once. And I have seen fire.

Of course this was back in 2006. I was a freshman in high school and completely unimpressed with the (what seemed) 2 minute boat ride for which my dearest uncle waited with me in line for 2 hours. I felt quite silly after making a fuss about wanting to ride it.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Personally, I don't think they would end up having to make up for the complete capacity of Everest. A lot of people would spend less time in AK.

Actually I think a whole big honk'n bunch of guests wouldn't spend any time at all in AK if Everest was down.

Tom Morrow

There's also an extra two minutes of ride time added to Grizzly, compared to Kali. And indeed, Grizzly seems more rapiddy (I don't think that's a word), with a lot more splashing and rapids and action on the ride compared to the rather placid and calm Kali.

Because Kali is rather short, and fairly calm instead of thrilling, they really should be beefing up the showmanship and special effects you see on Kali. But instead they seem to be doing the opposite.
Also, I'm no engineer, but I'm pretty sure it isn't that hard to make the water choppier. The rapids are merely created by attaching deviation pieces to the river bed. More could easily be added.
I totally agree with your take on Kali. It is just a very poor rapids ride that not even Six Flags would build. If you look at the average Six Flags rapids ride (which they invented!), they are usually in a forest area, have waterfalls, big rapids and sometimes a long tunnel. Seems like Joe Rhode spent more time researching the waiting line than going to other parks to see how a rapids is supposed to be done.
Yep, and I've heard people excuse Kali for being tame because "it's Disney." But that doesn't explain Grizzly, then, which is one of the best rapids rides around.

Here's a great POV of Grizzly, for members who have not ridden it:

As for drops on rapids rides, Kali River Rapids was the first to do it, but then, Intamin did it again on Grizzly River Run. Hafema, a german company did it on a raft ride in Belgium in 2001 and then, the big one in 2002. River Quest at Phantasialand in Germany has one of the wildest history of any ride out there. Basically, in 2001, there was a large fire at the park that burned to the ground a fake mountain that had two rollercoasters in it. The park used the insurance money and offered the following challenge: how to build a raft ride on a tiny surface? Hafema responded with River Quest. Ride was designed, built and opened within like 6 months. The attraction is set in this large castle structure. Your raft floats to one of two elevators. The boat is secured and then taken to the top of the ride. You do a really steep drop out of the elevator and then float around, do the signature whirlpool that end with another drop. You go around some more and go down another drop before ending the ride. Here's a youtube video of what it look like:
Wow, that's crazy!

Eeyore13

Actually I think a whole big honk'n bunch of guests wouldn't spend any time at all in AK if Everest was down.
I would agree with you conditionally. If I didn't have a park hopper then I wouldn't got to AK at all but with the park hopper I think I'd stop by for a reduced amount of time to ride KS and maybe a few others.

PhotoDave219

i feel like you're flip floppin on us here.

No, its simple. You cant close the only E-ticket in DAK for 6 months (or longer) without having some other cookie for the guests to go to simply to fix the Yeti. You do that, people will stop coming to DAK as theres not much to do there as it is.

And for those not paying attention, we're down to five tigers. They're getting old.

WDW1974

Why not take a change of clothes?o_O

If you know or think you are going to get wet, and you know you will be miserable and you know you are driving home then why not just take a change of clothes? It is a water ride in which the idea is to possibly (and that is part of the suspenseful fun) get wet.

Not trying to be critical but I just never understand people who go on Kali or Splash Mountain and then are unhappy because they get wet.

If you have to take a change of clothes to ride a theme park attraction -- not a water park attraction -- then something is wrong. Getting miserably soaked and having clothing or cameras or wallets or footwear ruined is NOT what water rides at parks the caliber of Disney should be about. I have never understood why they insist on soaking people just for the helluva it.

I love Splash Mountain at TDL because not only do you get an amazing plussed version of a great ride, but other than some mist on your face after the final drop, you walk off as dry as when you walked on.

Sorry, but if you want to get soaked and reek or change clothes a few times, my advice would be to head to BB.

WDW1974

Oh, you are quite right! It can easily do so indeed! And ought to do so.

I am descriptive, not normative. I do not wish to defend TDO, but want to understand their reasoning, understand the business culture and organisation that results in the subject of this thread.

Michael Colglazier was vice-president of DAK for three years. He could've ordered an eight month refurb for Everest in 2010, six months for Kali in 2011, and seven months for Dinosaur in 2012, plus a year long emergency re-assembly of the Tree of Life. Then at his departure, in 2013, he would've taken a poorly upkept park and left DAK as the best managed park of WDW. But also as the park that for his three year tenure would have had lower customer attendance and satisfaction than before and after him. On those numbers, Colglazier would've only ever been left in charge of a popcorn cart.

Instead, he ran DAK into the ground. But by refusing downtimes he inflated attendance numbers to third spot in Orlando. A complete surpise which nobody expected. Numbers for which instead he has now been promoted to president of the entire Disneyland resort.

Where's Al Lutz? Surely he doesn't disdain WDW that much that he is unaware of exactly who has been made prez and based on what?

Al likely has developed a fanboi crush on Michael, much as he did with George. But @KevinYee would know for sure. ... Al hasn't returned my email since I criticized him 8-9 years ago. Thin skin, methinks.

TP2000

Michael Colglazier was vice-president of DAK for three years. He could've ordered an eight month refurb for Everest in 2010, six months for Kali in 2011, and seven months for Dinosaur in 2012, plus a year long emergency re-assembly of the Tree of Life. Then at his departure, in 2013, he would've taken a poorly upkept park and left DAK as the best managed park of WDW. But also as the park that for his three year tenure would have had lower customer attendance and satisfaction than before and after him. On those numbers, Colglazier would've only ever been left in charge of a popcorn cart.

Instead, he ran DAK into the ground. But by refusing downtimes he inflated attendance numbers to third spot in Orlando. A complete surpise which nobody expected. Numbers for which instead he has now been promoted to president of the entire Disneyland resort.

Where's Al Lutz? Surely he doesn't disdain WDW that much that he is unaware of exactly who has been made prez and based on what?

Al Lutz mentioned this very thing in his update a few weeks ago. Mr. Lutz said the following, in the middle of a few paragraphs regarding the executive shakeup in Anaheim and Orlando, with emphasis in red by me for visibility...

"And with that, Michael is off and running and will do some more walking tours and overviews of various departments around Anaheim, before his final act of his introductory period, the big “All Salaried Update” usually held in the Hyperion Theater. That’s another tightly scripted event, aimed at the salaried management out in the parks and at the hotels. Luckily, he’s a personable and genuinely friendly family man who seems more down to earth than his sharp mind and Ivy League education from Stanford and Harvard might suggest. But his new Anaheim team of managers are very curious to hear him speak and figure out just what made him so worthy of a big promotion after spending the last three years in charge of the least attended theme park in WDW; mainly known for broken down animatronics, aged entertainment offerings, slipping quality standards, and an Avatarland expansion that is sinking in alien quicksand. They’ll be hanging on his every word at the All Salaried Update to try and figure that out, that’s for sure." http://micechat.com/21154-hello/

If that update deal already happened, I would have loved to hear what he said.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom