Juan's Multi-park update with important SM news!

jt04

I meant to the highest extent.:lol::wave:

If SM went down, we should have no doubts about it. We should know that it would have been a fantastic refurb, seeing that's Disney's track record.

Or, it used to be.

Or, it's looking like it could be that again.

We shall see.

I agree, if it is close to Haunted Mansion in scope it will be a win. In other words, fixing up a classic with some modern adds to enhance the original experience. The look of the new roofs over the queues has me optimistic. The look of the lift hill, not as much.

But in any case, since money is not unlimited even at Disney, I'm glad that the majority of the available funds were targeted to expanding the MK and not a completely new SM.

I still think they have made the best choice here.

EPCOT Explorer

I agree, if it is close to Haunted Mansion in scope it will be a win. In other words, fixing up a classic with some modern adds to enhance the original experience. The look of the new roofs over the queues has me optimistic. The look of the lift hill, not as much.

But in any case, since money is not unlimited even at Disney, I'm glad that the majority of the available funds were targeted to expanding the MK and not a completely new SM.

I still think they have made the best choice here.

Agree.

Yes, money is not unlimited, but fixing old show is more important than new show, to me. You can't have a sparkling FL and then 5 mins away is a dilapidated indoor coaster from the 70's.

ryno1982

I can not believe you guys actually believe him, even though he has offered no proof whatsoever. Space Mountain did NOT get track replacement.

Atomicmickey

Seriously. That guy needs to be ignored by everyone on here. I've never heard anyone "know" so much while knowing nothing.

OK, what's the deal, here?

I've only been contributing here for a short time, but have been reading
the boards for about a year and a half, now.

If you're talking about JT04, well, his predictions/knowledge of D23
bested everyone's. As I read it, he's more right than wrong on average.

NOTE: jt04 doesn't accept PM's, I don't know him/her, don't really care one
way or another, except that, what I see is good info, and correct
info, and for some reason, it gets jumped on all the time.

Everybody here is right and wrong a lot. I have come to believe that no
one here really knows about things, but they sometimes hear things from
CM's, etc.

Disney is VERY GOOD apparently at keeping secrets, because they just
don't get out. You'd think one construction worker on Space Mountain
might just pop in and say something, but they don't. Just one. Instead
we get guesses . . . sometimes more informed, sometimes less.

I think what happens is the less informed guesses get presented in the
same manner as the more informed guesses.

Well, in the case of this thread, the person who started it claims to have
seen construction documents and spoken with key people. Smoke and
mirrors, or the real deal? How do we know? None of the other people on
here have any absolute refutation on it. Thus, we have to conclude that
people don't really know.

I have been reading . . . but am missing something, here.
Why the hatin' on jt04?
Why the obscure references, Juan?
Why do people who obviously don't know exactly what's going on,
feel the need to categorically state that "this is absolutely not happening", or
"this absolutely is happening"?

What is happening? Yeesh.

Lee

Adventurer
Did anyone say they believed him?
Nope. I'm extremely skeptical.
I mean...6300 feet of track.
Cut out by hand (leaving the existing supports), removing it from the building, bringing in steel (supposedly not already in track form) and hand-building a whole new track on the existing supports....

I'm having a real hard time with that.:shrug:

Hopefully I can get to the bottom of this over the weekend.

MousDad

Cut out by hand (leaving the existing supports), removing it from the building, bringing in steel (supposedly not already in track form) and hand-building a whole new track on the existing supports....

Oompaloompas, maybe? :lol:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I dont care, as long as its open when they said.

Pehaps its stealth steel................... or the sneaky mouse moved it at night.

CoasterKing

If they did replace the old track with new track, in the same layout as before, then I don't know what there is to get excited about. I personally did not think the ride was that rough to begin with, unless you are talking about jerking around tight corners or braking stops. Those things will still occur even with new track in the same layout.

I'm all for new track if the old track was getting unsafe. It should be done then, but I can't see too much enhancement of the ride experience itself.

Hopefully the other enhancements will add a new and fresher look to the ride, though.

CoasterKing :king:

jt04

NOTE: jt04 doesn't accept PM's, I don't know him/her, don't really care one
way or another, except that, what I see is good info, and correct
info, and for some reason, it gets jumped on all the time.

Everybody here is right and wrong a lot. I have come to believe that no
one here really knows about things, but they sometimes hear things from
CM's, etc.

Disney is VERY GOOD apparently at keeping secrets, because they just
don't get out. You'd think one construction worker on Space Mountain
might just pop in and say something, but they don't. Just one. Instead
we get guesses . . . sometimes more informed, sometimes less.

Why the hatin' on jt04?

Yeah? :shrug:

Seriously though, thanks for the kind words. I don't accept PM's cause I just don't have time. Nothing personal towards anyone.

As I have said many times, I have no inside knowledge, no first hand contacts and have never worked for the mouse. I just do a lot of reading and enjoy trying to figure out what is next for WDW. It's somewhat detective work mixed with a bit of wishful thinking.

That Disney is so secretive makes it all the more fun to try to figure out what is going on. I try to pass on my way of thinking about these things. Some people will enjoy that and some people will "hate" me for it. I recognize the reasoning behind both reactions.

Bottom line, I know why some folks want me ignored. It makes my day to know I'm being effective. I post here because I enjoy it. It's all in good natured fun on my part and I intend to continue. Thanks again. :)

juan

Original Poster
1) Well, in the case of this thread, the person who started it claims to have
seen construction documents and spoken with key people.

2) Why the obscure references, Juan?
1) I think my source is trusted as I have seen part of budget for the overhaul. They are also doing other projects all the time for Disney.

2) I was just being subtle.

*note I'll have more updates, replies, and stuff in a few days once I return home.

juan

Original Poster

I thought it was an enormous load, but once I found out the workforce, it is feasible. 40 welders per shift, 2 shifts a day working straight from the beginning to recently.

jt04

I thought it was an enormous load, but once I found out the workforce, it is feasible. 40 welders per shift, 2 shifts a day working straight from the beginning to recently.

What adds credibility to what you say in my mind at least, were the massive cables that were run up the side of SM and into the roof. Or at least that is what they appeared to be. Because it would have taken a substantial ammount of electricity to bend and weld that much track. Of course it could be the track was brought in at night and was already shaped. But there still would have been a tremendous welding project.

40 welders per shift? 16 hours a day of work? You just might be right. :lookaroun

hpyhnt 1000

Hmmm... if those numbers are correct, that comes out to roughly 80 feet of track each welder would have had to replace (I'm going off Lee's number of 6300 feet) since SM closed in ... what was it, March? So, that gives them about 5 months to each do 80 feet...works out to 16 feet a month, about 4 a week... you get the idea. :shrug: :lol:

I know thats a very simplictic view, as I'm sure not all crews were devoted to just the track. But still, it gives you an idea that, if the numbers are correct, and materials were ready to go, it might just be possible. :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom