Juan's Multi-park update with important SM news!

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Don't get me wrong, a true track replacement may have occured, but I doubt it. This "track replacement" probably goes along with something I had mentioned in a previous post: new wheel bogies for the trains. I think what we are looking at here is the replacement of all the track rail supports along the track. It is easier to illustrate so here is my crude drawing.
smtrack.gif

The "new" approach is more in line with modern roller coaster track and allows true up-stop wheels instead of the angled ones on the old wheel assemblies. Theoretically this could allow a tighter tolerance for the wheels on the track giving a "smoother" ride since there could be less play in the up-stops. It may not be the case with SM so time will tell...

Interesting. However to do this would require completely severing the track from the main super structure then rewelding new supports at a different angle. Why not replace the track at the same time? :shrug:

Time will tell.

Figment632

Ahhh...I misunderstood.

Just the track, got it.

Still very happy if it is true.:D

Still want some audio, though.:lol:

Yes Please for the love of all that is sacred give us this>

Sorry Juan some of us get a little heated when people just drop hints but if what you say is true its great news.

bearboysnc

New rockets with side by side seating? Doubling the capacity from 6 to 12 passengers. Like every SM at every other park?

I never understood why they have never changed that.

CptnEO

New rockets with side by side seating? Doubling the capacity from 6 to 12 passengers. Like every SM at every other park?

I never understood why they have never changed that.

Yes, the other SM's have side-by-side seating, but don't forget that they only have one track. With WDW having 2 tracks the capacity doesn't really decrease at all.

DisneyMusician2

If there really was a complete track replacement, I would sacrifice the on-board audio.

That would simply be awesome.

And not knowing about it would go along with Disney's propensity for keeping things quiet of late (or trying to). It wouldn't surprise me if they let the work speak for itself.

However it may turn out.

Thelazer

No one has seen that amount of pipe go in/out of the place. I also highly doubt everything was "hand bent" to replace all the track on the ride. That's, just not realistic in today's world. The equipment needed to bend coaster steal is quite large and complex. Sections of track may have been replaced, but the whole thing, doubtful.

juan

Original Poster
If there really was a complete track replacement, I would sacrifice the on-board audio.

That would simply be awesome.

And not knowing about it would go along with Disney's propensity for keeping things quiet of late (or trying to). It wouldn't surprise me if they let the work speak for itself.

However it may turn out.

I think Disney is taking the approach that the DL SM change was so big with a completely new layout and track type, that a WDW SM change would not live up to a similar hype. While the entire track is changing, most guests would think that there wasn't any changes and then be disappointed. There just isn't a viable marketing strategy to say "Space Mountain has all new track, but you won't notice any changes."

juan

Original Poster
No one has seen that amount of pipe go in/out of the place. I also highly doubt everything was "hand bent" to replace all the track on the ride. That's, just not realistic in today's world. The equipment needed to bend coaster steal is quite large and complex. Sections of track may have been replaced, but the whole thing, doubtful.

Its been fabricated offsite, so it can be dipped and galvanized.
I've seen the contract details, it's pretty large scale

MeandMickey

For those who are saying they have not seen any new track pieces coming in, maybe the pieces are/were small enough to be shipped in a covered semi trailer and delivered backstage. Then they were, or are going to be assembled inside the mountain. It's like saying that Sears did not receive any refridgerators or washers and dryers because we did not see them being delivered, but when you go in the store, there they are, shiny and new. We can only hope that Disney will treat the SM refurb with love. Heck, they are not gonna please everyone with any refurbs right? There will always be that one (at least) griper! :zipit: Time will tell. Let's just wait and see what comes of it to see if it was a waste of time and money or worth the wait.

MousDad

Okay. TarzonRocked99- posted an article in the 'Test and Adjust' thread a week or so ago, that was originally written by Garcia at the Sentinel, that was printed just before the time of SM's closure. The article quoted Disney spokesperson Andrea Finger, who was quoted as saying SM was going down for track replacement, an enclosed queue and a new ceiling. She also said the track layout would remain the same.

This original article is what Garcia referred back to in the 2 subsequent articles I referred to already in this thread, that both referred to Disney's indication that there would be track replacement.

This coincided perfectly with what Lee and Martin were telling us from way before that point in time. So, frankly, I'm wondering why we are being accused of making all this up? :shrug:

jt04

Doom and Gloomer:ROFLOL:

I was at first hoping for a complete SM overhaul. But after the new FL was revealed I am much happier it didn't. Obviously the strategy is to keep the classics (while plussing them) and adding attractions and capacity where space permits with an eye to the future (phase 2 and possibly 3 for FL). It all makes sense now.

I guarantee you that if we had gotten the top of the line SM overhaul, we wouldn't be getting the amazing FL aesthetics. I'm convinced they made the right choice!

EPCOT Explorer

I was at first hoping for a complete SM overhaul. But after the new FL was revealed I am much happier it didn't. Obviously the strategy is to keep the classics (while plussing them) and adding attractions and capacity where space permits with an eye to the future (phase 2 and possibly 3 for FL). It all makes sense now.

I guarantee you that if we had gotten the top of the line SM overhaul, we wouldn't be getting the amazing FL aesthetics. I'm convinced they made the right choice!

Opinion or fact?

However, BOTH should have been done. BOTH should be a stellar experience.

EPCOT Explorer

What do you mean? Both are being done? :shrug:

I meant to the highest extent.:lol::wave:

If SM went down, we should have no doubts about it. We should know that it would have been a fantastic refurb, seeing that's Disney's track record.

Or, it used to be.

Or, it's looking like it could be that again.

We shall see.

Figment632

I meant to the highest extent.:lol::wave:

If SM went down, we should have no doubts about it. We should know that it would have been a fantastic refurb, seeing that's Disney's track record.

Or, it used to be.

Or, it's looking like it could be that again.

We shall see.

Exactly SM is an iconic Disney attraction and the one in WDW is the original. While I didnt want a new layout this ride should always get a top refurb not the Nickel and Diming refurb that it is getting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom