Is the clock ticking on the Leave a Legacy monoliths at Epcot?

raven

I'm pretty sure the original layout had more open areas than the monoliths do now...plus there's the psychological aspect of having several large stones partially blocking your path, whereas smaller planters, like the height of the one in the middle would make the area feel much more open.

The original layout was much better IIRC

The stones do not block the main path. The original path that guests took from the 1980's around the large planter is still there.

The original open area had the same layout as the stones but in long, low level planters. Eventually they put in trees that were just as high as the stones. The only need to go through the planters, or see through them, was to rent a stroller or wheelchair. So there really isn't an argument on blocking a view when there was really nothing to see anyway. I agree there needs to be trees in the area though.

http://land.allears.net/blogs/jackspence/2014/09/

Seabasealpha1

Original Poster
So far as people getting offended if their tile gets removed and all that jazz...because they paid for it...

One could argue in some strange way that people also paid for Horizons, Wonders of Life, etc...

Didn't stop demolition there...

R W B

Silly how so many people spend good money at WDW but yet they really tend to dislike a large majority of the parks. I see the same (large group) of posters always posting how this needs to go or this needs to be torn down and so on but yet you still spend money there, just silly.

My personal opinion is I don't mind them at all, its a part of Epcot as far as I'm concerned.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
The stones do not block the main path. The original path that guests took from the 1980's around the large planter is still there.

The original open area had the same layout as the stones but in long, low level planters. Eventually they put in trees that were just as high as the stones. The only need to go through the planters, or see through them, was to rent a stroller or wheelchair. So there really isn't an argument on blocking a view when there was really nothing to see anyway. I agree there needs to be trees in the area though.

http://land.allears.net/blogs/jackspence/2014/09/

Thanks for putting up the link, it was nice to look at the old pictures. Personally I liked the trees and low shrubbery better. I got a kick out of seeing the "birthday" cake for WDW's 15th in one of the pictures. I have a picture of my sister, my dad, and me in front of that cake. It is one of the things I clearly remember from that trip.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The original plaza

image.jpg

SnarkyMonkey

Silly how so many people spend good money at WDW but yet they really tend to dislike a large majority of the parks. I see the same (large group) of posters always posting how this needs to go or this needs to be torn down and so on but yet you still spend money there, just silly.

My personal opinion is I don't mind them at all, its a part of Epcot as far as I'm concerned.

I just wanted to comment on that.

I am not one to complain about Disney. In love change and get excited whenever they come up with new things big or small. You may even say I'm a Disney apologist because I typically defend the decisions they make. I think WDW is genius!

So, this isn't just another complaint from a complainer as you say. I just don't like the way the LaL look and have never understood how they fit in with the theme of Future World. I think people are entitled to like and dislike things. We are all different.

That being said, I agree that some people have not a good thing to say about WDW yet choose to go back year after year. That makes no sense, other than if they are exagerating their dislikes because they like to be negative and dramatic.

Last edited:

yedliW

Got one with a vacation package in the final year for them (2007) for only an extra $20!

Is that a discount/closeout price? it seems to me that at that price, they wouldn't have had 100k empty tiles.. The local minor league baseball team here sold bricks when they opened up the new stadium 15 yrs ago, for $100, and there was no shortage of people buying them..

Goofyernmost

So far as people getting offended if their tile gets removed and all that jazz...because they paid for it...

One could argue in some strange way that people also paid for Horizons, Wonders of Life, etc...

Didn't stop demolition there...
The difference is that our money doesn't pay specifically for any attraction whereas, buying a tile is a purchase that came with an agreement that it would stay for a specified period of time. Horizons, etc. had no such written contract.

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
I don't hate them either, perhaps because I rarely come in through there, or (and this is more likely) because I was only four years old when they first started them and therefore too young to remember a time without the tiles.

I never did see the point of them. They are so small that you can't see them. The tiles in front of MK make more sense, though one piece of gum on that tile and...

Goofyernmost

I don't hate them either, perhaps because I rarely come in through there, or (and this is more likely) because I was only four years old when they first started them and therefore too young to remember a time without the tiles.

I never did see the point of them. They are so small that you can't see them. The tiles in front of MK make more sense, though one piece of gum on that tile and...
The size of them speaks volumes about what Disney expected from that promotion. I think that they thought it was going to go over like the bricks paving the way into MK. It probably started out that way and dollar signs flashed in their eyes and they all thought wow, if we make them small enough we can sell a billion of them. Almost zero maintenance, the rain keeps them clean, and nothing to do with them except collect the interest on all the money for 15 or so years. It didn't take long, however, before everyone saw the size and quality and opted to find some other way to become immortal. So now we are all left with mostly empty stones that might make a good paperweight for some land of the giants, but otherwise are mostly a puzzle to most visitors.

Seabasealpha1

Original Poster
The difference is that our money doesn't pay specifically for any attraction whereas, buying a tile is a purchase that came with an agreement that it would stay for a specified period of time. Horizons, etc. had no such written contract.
True...like I said...in a strange way...not exactly...attendance and ticket sales DO pay for attractions eventually...

However, looking over the contract that people accepted when buying the tiles...there's ZERO guarantee they'll remain for ANY portion of time. The company has the exclusive right to do whatever with them whenever...so, they can complain and moan all they want...they can be taken out at any time. Could be tomorrow for all we know...

And I've seen the tiles...they don't look so hot after so long in the sun and elements...I wouldn't freak out too much if I were some folks...

Sage of Time

Actually since they only use the area directly in the center of the gate area for I coming and outgoing guests, the floral planter is more in the way than anything. If they remove the stones and replace them with trees or more planters the problem will remain. They need to spread the gates along the entire front of that area instead of concentrating them just to the middle section. But then that would mean more CMs are needed and they certainly don't want to do that! :)
I always find it amazing how WIDE EPCOT's entrance is and how it could easily never have any lines... but nope. They only keep 1/8th of it actually open. Shameful.

MarkTwain

Regardless how you feel about the tiles, one of the biggest problems with LaL is their placement. They were placed smack in the middle of the highest-traffic area of any park: the front entrance/exit, and with no respect to how guests would move through the space.

It would be one thing if the stones were placed parallel to the movement of guest traffic, or with large spaces between the stones to allow guests to move through them... but instead they're built as if to completely stop guest traffic, funneling all guests down the narrow walkway in the middle.

LeaveaLegacy_zps0edbd20d.png

This would be akin to building giant walls down Main Street USA, all facing the train station. if the tiles could at least be relocated to a less-trafficked area, that would be a great improvement.

My vote's just to carve out some unused space out of Innoventions (lord knows there's plenty), build an exhibit with the tiles and some of the models of Epcot they brought out for the 25th, and make it an "Epcot Legacy Center" or something similar. Maybe even try and contact the guests to see who still wants their tile on display in the first place, to avoid the "divorced guest" problem.

raven

Regardless how you feel about the tiles, one of the biggest problems with LaL is their placement. They were placed smack in the middle of the highest-traffic area of any park: the front entrance/exit, and with no respect to how guests would move through the space.

It would be one thing if the stones were placed parallel to the movement of guest traffic, or with large spaces between the stones to allow guests to move through them... but instead they're built as if to completely stop guest traffic, funneling all guests down the narrow walkway in the middle.

LeaveaLegacy_zps0edbd20d.png

This would be akin to building giant walls down Main Street USA, all facing the train station. if the tiles could at least be relocated to a less-trafficked area, that would be a great improvement.

My vote's just to carve out some unused space out of Innoventions (lord knows there's plenty), build an exhibit with the tiles and some of the models of Epcot they brought out for the 25th, and make it an "Epcot Legacy Center" or something similar. Maybe even try and contact the guests to see who still wants their tile on display in the first place, to avoid the "divorced guest" problem.

Again, it doesn't make a difference where they are at the moment since they only open the middle gates for entry. Everyone is filed passed the center planter because of this very reason. There's no need to go through these stones at the moment because the other gates are never open.

Google "Epcot entrance" and look at a few photos of the area and notice how the pavement is darker and worn next to the central planter due to the traffic flow. They clearly wanted the flow to go this way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom