Is the clock ticking on the Leave a Legacy monoliths at Epcot?

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Lets do remember that some people do have tiles and that they may be dedicated to a loved one. A modicum of respect is in order.
I wonder, out of pure curiosity, how many family photos on there have gone through divorce in the years that these have been put up.
I think of this because there is a brick somewhere near the TTC that has my name on it. I will not ever show my kids, as the name of my college girlfriend sits next to it, and while my kids wouldn't notice, know, or care, my wife certainly would...

yedliW

Maybe I just haven't been there enough.. but I kind of like them. I know that if I had paid for it, I'd be upset if they got taken down, especially if there was a timeframe on the contract as to how long they would be up.

Sure, they could get moved.. but where would you put them? Tuck them away somewhere out of the way? spread them out to different parts of the parks/resorts?

And if they do come down, what do you do with the opened real estate? Put up another pin kiosk?

DizneyPryncess

My husband and I got one in 2001 I think it was, when we were teenagers and had been dating a few years. We thought it would be fun to show our future kids. Now that we have a 3 year old, I'm pretty sure she'd get a kick out of seeing it, even if it's so small. I still have the original papers in a memory box somewhere, will see if I can dig them up!

Clamman73

Can we start over again...
image.jpg

Bluewaves

Lets do remember that some people do have tiles and that they may be dedicated to a loved one. A modicum of respect is in order.

This is the issue I have with these completely.

This is an amusement park not a mausoleum, on top of that they are creepy, it looks like a war memorial, even its name is creepy. I understand contractual obligations to keep the tiles, but place them along the side walls and remove the moonscape monoliths and replant some flowers and grass and open up the entrance.

SnarkyMonkey

I don't like them. I don't mind the bricks at MK. In fact, I think they are cute. But the way the LaL is designed, it looks like a monument to remember the deceased in some tragedy.

That being said, I get that if you paid for one, although there's no promise they will be there forever, I would likely be sad to see it go. So, why not relocate them...and not to the middle of the lake. Lol They just seem so in the way right now.

I also think that it would be nice if, once the monoliths came down, Disney was able to return to give everyone their pictures. Disney could contact the legacy-leavers and see if they want the picture/tile, then have them collect them or mail them out. This would be nice especially for those who may have lost loved ones that were in the picture with them.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
This is the issue I have with these completely.

This is an amusement park not a mausoleum, on top of that they are creepy, it looks like a war memorial, even its name is creepy. I understand contractual obligations to keep the tiles, but place them along the side walls and remove the moonscape monoliths and replant some flowers and grass and open up the entrance.
It is what it is.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I wonder, out of pure curiosity, how many family photos on there have gone through divorce in the years that these have been put up.
I think of this because there is a brick somewhere near the TTC that has my name on it. I will not ever show my kids, as the name of my college girlfriend sits next to it, and while my kids wouldn't notice, know, or care, my wife certainly would...
I certainly can't disagree with what you posted and I'm sure there is probably as much disappointment or tragedy reflected in those stones as magical and happy memories represented. I was just pointing out that to some there is more there than just tombstones that should be turned into ground cover or aquatic structure.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I'm sure the stones will go sometime in the future. If they stopped selling spaces in 2007 and if the contract says they will be there for let's say 15 years we will probably be stuck with them until that time period expires. Personally I thought they looked like tombstones or a place to put ones ashes, and I don't care for them at all. I do wish my family had bought a stone for the pathway in front of the MK.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

All 7 of my various families have tributes around property. Luckily, I'm known by 7 different names. I do make the occasional verbal slip now and again.

Sage of Time

Leave a Legacy is here to stay for a while yet. You have to wait till 2027 for all the Leave a Legacy tiles to go away.

Leave a Legacy program was discontinued in June of 2007. I think Disney would get a rid of all the tiles at once instead of going by year by year.
Dunno about 2027. I'm hoping that they count from 1999, when they first were put up.

And I also think that it was a 15 year contract, not 20? I dunno.

THIS

FettFan

As much as I dislike walking past the Family Vacation War Memorial to get into Epcot, I've always heard that they were contracted to stay there for twenty years after the last tile sold. Combine that with the fact that LaL is the last project the late Disney Legend John Hench worked on, and I think it's technically safe.

What the LaL courtyard needs is more greenery though. Add some trees and some flower beds. It doesn't HAVE to look like a barren wasteland.

Tom

Beta Return

I've screenshot this, and have attached it to a Draft e-mail, saved in Outlook.....just in case I ever need a hot dog or some deep dish pizza from you, and you're not complying.

All 7 of my various families have tributes around property. Luckily, I'm known by 7 different names. I do make the occasional verbal slip now and again.

That's interesting, Mike.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom