Is the clock ticking on the Leave a Legacy monoliths at Epcot?

Tom

Beta Return
I guess I'm in the minority that isn't offended by the LaL. In my opinion, and relative to the other monstrosities they've installed (BAH, Wand, Cake Castle), it's not distasteful or offensive to the eye. At least not to my eye.

I actually think it's kind of neat...just like the pavers at the MK. I have friends who put a tile up. I almost wish I had. It would be neat to take my new son in a couple years and show him mommy and daddy's engraved photo that's "part of Disney World".

And I can see where people would want them to stay, if they bought a tile for their family....especially if Disney was part of their family's life, and some of those family members aren't able to go anymore (like my dad). It lives up to it's name that way - leaving a legacy. It's not morbid, it's a way to cherish and remember HAPPY times of days gone by.

This is just my opinion though.

Chicagoshannon2

My husband and I have one. It was part of our honeymoon package 10 years ago. I thought our paperwork said it was gaur entered to be there for 10 years, but I haven't looked at it in a while. I wouldn't mind if they took it away. My kids did get a kick out of seeing the picture when we showed them.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Just to clarify, I don't think the idea is morbid. I just think the way that the monument is designed that I find looks commemorative of a mass causality.
I guess it's better than the original plan of hanging tiny tinfoil plates from tree branches throughout the property.

Fox&Hound

I wonder, out of pure curiosity, how many family photos on there have gone through divorce in the years that these have been put up.
I think of this because there is a brick somewhere near the TTC that has my name on it. I will not ever show my kids, as the name of my college girlfriend sits next to it, and while my kids wouldn't notice, know, or care, my wife certainly would...

My brother took one with his girlfriend at the time. Horrible break up. Since then he has married and had a child. Yet him and the old girlfriend still remain at EPCOT. Kinda funny, and creepy.

No disrespect to anyone one is posted on these "monuments" but it does give an eerie feeling when walking into the park and I have always failed to see why they thought the entrance the world of the future was a great place for a monument to the past.

wdwfan4ver

fireworksandfairytales

In the Parks
No
When I was on my college program last year I worked in the Camera Center (where the Leave a Legacy tile locator is) and we were told by our leaders that the plan is for them to be taken out by 2022. Obviously that's not a definite confirmation but that's what they were telling us to tell guests who asked. :)

Seabasealpha1

Original Poster
Just to clarify, I don't think the idea is morbid. I just think the way that the monument is designed that I find looks commemorative of a mass causality.
I agree with this...as I've said in other posts on other topics where we strayed into discussion about LAL...I totally got off the bus on my first trip, walked through the turnstiles, walked into the midst of all the monoliths...and was totally like "...the hell is this?..." I was expecting futuristic and gorgeous and the place reminded me of the vietnam memorial...in fact...one of the thoughts I've had over the years is like there was some disaster or something and these are little photos of the victims! haha!

I just...I dunno...they are cold and strange if you don't know what they're about...

Last edited:

JasonDeyoung

I have one on the wall, we got it when I was younger and I think I've looked at honestly maybe MAYBE a hand full of times if that. I don't think I'd be heartbroken if they took it down.

Daniel Johnson

I didn't notice them on my first trip...the second I did. Whatever, just get me to spaceship earth, I could care l less about the rocks.

Susan Savia

My husband and I have one and each year we visit make a point to stop and check it out. Our two adult children get a kick out of seeing it there. If they must be removed someday, I hope their placed in another area and not just tossed. For those that find them totally morbid, simply don't look as you enter the park.

tribbleorlfl

Wow, I had no idea LaL was so universally despised. I mean, I get it, the monoliths are imposing and clutter-up the entry plaza. I just find it curious most of the people in this thread are eager to wipe away people's memories and investments. Is it the granite slabs or the very idea that offends your sensibilities so?

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Dunno about 2027. I'm hoping that they count from 1999, when they first were put up.

And I also think that it was a 15 year contract, not 20? I dunno.
If the last one was sold in 2007 that is the 15 year commitment from that date. There isn't any sense in trying to segregate the early ones from the most recent. They just all stay until 2022. I think that they could move them since there is still 7 years left to go, but, the question is would they?

Goofyernmost

I guess I'm in the minority that isn't offended by the LaL. In my opinion, and relative to the other monstrosities they've installed (BAH, Wand, Cake Castle), it's not distasteful or offensive to the eye. At least not to my eye.

I actually think it's kind of neat...just like the pavers at the MK. I have friends who put a tile up. I almost wish I had. It would be neat to take my new son in a couple years and show him mommy and daddy's engraved photo that's "part of Disney World".

And I can see where people would want them to stay, if they bought a tile for their family....especially if Disney was part of their family's life, and some of those family members aren't able to go anymore (like my dad). It lives up to it's name that way - leaving a legacy. It's not morbid, it's a way to cherish and remember HAPPY times of days gone by.

This is just my opinion though.
I have to agree with that, but, I think that if I had been one of the folks that were completely ripped off for that postage stamp sized picture of extremely poor quality, it would upset the hell out of me. However, I guess those that bought them toward the end could see what they were getting, so to bad. By the way, if you're one of those, I've got some ocean front property in Arizona that is for sale. Contact me, I'm sure we can make a dream deal.

Weather_Lady

Wow, I had no idea LaL was so universally despised. I mean, I get it, the monoliths are imposing and clutter-up the entry plaza. I just find it curious most of the people in this thread are eager to wipe away people's memories and investments. Is it the granite slabs or the very idea that offends your sensibilities so?

I think what people dislike is, as you say, the fact that they're "imposing and clutter up" the area.

I don't mind at all that they EXIST, although the picture quality is insultingly bad, I still think families who bought them should be able to revisit them in perpetuity -- if I had my druthers, however, they'd all be set up as a nice display along the sides of the plaza, or on the pedestals and benches surrounding fountains and sculptures, or somewhere indoors where they couldn't be degraded by weather, rather than blocking the walkway in a series of ugly and primitive-looking stone blocks.

Still, in the great scheme of things -- not a biggie.

raven

I may be mistaken, but I believe these stones were designed by Imagineer John Hench. The design is to draw your eye to SSE and make it look even larger than it is. The support collums were even painted with the same motif.

I have a monolif on one of the stones as well and we were told (in 2007) that it would be there for 20 years. I honestly don't mind if they MOVE the stones to somewhere else in the park but at least honor those guests that actually left a "legacy."

You don't hear people pining for the removal of the walkway in front of MK. I am honored to have my photo on display inside of a Disney Park. Not everyone can say that. That is why it is a privilege.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom