Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

Miss Bella

I make fun of WDW for their bad Pizza just for the fun of it... which I think is justified because anyone should be able to make a decent Pizza.

All that aside I still enjoy WDW, I enjoyed it a lot more when it didn't cost more than a trip to Europe. With the price of everything going through the roof and limited vacation dollars, I'd rather skip WDW and leave the country.... knock something off the bucket list.

The only thing stopping me from going to WDW over the next few years is the cost. It would prohibit me from doing other things that I haven't done.

Miss Bella

It just seems to be more appropriate to the restaurant forum than a thread about attendance.

WDW has a lot of problems but I doubt too many people are choosing other places over it because of the pizza. One of the things we like about WDW is the variety in counter service offerings, including plant-based ones. It doesn’t seem fair to measure it by pizza. Just my opinion.
I think you're taking the Pizza thing a bit too seriously. I think most of the comments were in gest... you know sarcastic..ie meant to be funny.

MrPromey

Line lengths are also all over the place. Waited 45 minutes for Barnstormer, of all things, because my son wanted to ride it. Speedway was also posted at 45 although we did a Lightning Lane. But walkways seem less crowded than I would expect, which is nice.

Barnstormer is a low capacity ride.

I can't say for certain but due to the load/unload process and the unpredictable nature of the ride-through, I'd imagine Speedway is, too.

Point being, the same number of people could decide they're doing Mansion as those and Mansion could be a complete walk-on while you'll see waits like you saw (or worse) for those two.

They're just not efficient attractions in terms of moving people through them.

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

Do you vacation in other places? If you spend every vacation dollar on WDW that's one thing, but if WDW is a side thing that's another.
True. No. Disney was never our main love. I always admit that a few of the reasons I don't have a meltdown like others is
1. We hated our first trip to Disney back in the 80s. So it took almost 35 years for me to go back
2. I didn't grow up watching world of Disney etc etc so I've never viewed Walt as part of my childhood
3. I didn't go during the "glory" years and I don't compare the vacations I had 20 years ago to today. I wouldn't be able to buy bacon, let alone go places, if I was constantly saying " years ago you use to be able to....."
4. I unfortunately/fortunately live on the high as $# northeast coast. A week at the Jersey shore is easily 4k, I just went to cheesecake factory with a girlfriend for her birthday (lol evidently taking someone to CCF now is a big no-no) dinner for the both of us was 90 bucks bf tip. No booze. So Disney food prices really are not scary. Don't get me wrong it's expensive but not shocking

Last edited:

DisneyHead123

So Disney food prices really are not scary. Don't get me wrong it's expensive but not shocking
I agree where meals are concerned, compared to the area I’m from. There are some individual items that are eyebrow raising with food though. Over $2 for a single banana, $6 for a single fruit popsicle, $28 for a mixed drink and soda (with tip). It seems like drinks and singleton items (vs. meals / plates) are priced higher.

What I find wild are the merch prices. $56 (if I remember right) for a Starbucks tumbler, $35 for a bubble wand, designer clothing prices for a park sweatshirt… I mostly avoid the parks merch.

Miss Bella

True. No. Disney was never our main love. I always admit that a few of the reasons I don't have a meltdown like others is
1. We hated our first trip to Disney back in the 80s. So it took almost 35 years for me to go back
2. I didn't grow up watching world of Disney etc etc so I've never viewed Walt as part of my childhood
3. I didn't go during the "glory" years and I don't compare the vacations I had 20 years ago to today. I wouldn't be able to buy bacon, let alone go places, if I was constantly saying " years ago you use to be able to....."
4. I unfortunately/fortunately live on the high as $# northeast coast. A week at the Jersey shore is easily 4k, I just went to cheesecake factory with a girlfriend for her birthday (lol evidently taking someone to CCF now is a big no-no) dinner for the both of us was 90 bucks bf tip. No booze. So Disney food prices really are not scary. Don't get me wrong it's expensive but not shocking
I think the difference is when you are in a city you have a variety of options from cheap to expensive. WDW you are locked in unless you have a car.

I think cost and inflation are very relevant to attendance. I'm not sure how that's a side track. It's probably the single most relevant thing affecting attendance. It takes quite a bit of disposable income to go to WDW these days. If you don't got it you don't got it.

JD80

I think the difference is when you are in a city you have a variety of options from cheap to expensive. WDW you are locked in unless you have a car.

I think cost and inflation are very relevant to attendance. I'm not sure how that's a side track. It's probably the single most relevant thing affecting attendance. It takes quite a bit of disposable income to go to WDW these days. If you don't got it you don't got it.
You can get groceries delivered (or bring your own). Probably the least expensive solutions. Unless you want to count walking to mcdonalds.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
You can get groceries delivered (or bring your own). Probably the least expensive solutions. Unless you want to count walking to mcdonalds.
You can, and we have done so a lot in the past (And I fully admit that a DVC room with a full kitchen and a rental car helps that significantly). But the price of airfare is up. Hotel prices are outrageous. How much does it matter to John Q Public if you can eat cheaper when your cost just to get there and sleep there has risen dramatically? Not to mention ticket prices. I really don't know.

I was thinking about this earlier: A 25% discount on a $250 moderate room 4-5 years ago is a bit different than a 25% discount on a $350 moderate room today. That's still a $560 difference over a week. Going with the average family of 4: Food prices are up and it's probably safe to believe that food costs $400 more over the course of a week than it did 4-5 years ago. Ticket prices have risen a fair amount, probably a safe guess is that it's $500 more than it was 4-5 years ago for 7-day hoppers. On what was likely a $4500 vacation 4-5 years ago, without any airfare increases you're at a 33% increase for the same vacation. And Disney wonders why attendance could be dropping?

More news in the last 18 hours about credit card debt, loan defaults, et al. If there are claims that attendance in Florida is up, it's going to be roundly, and loudly, called BS.

Andrew25

It seems to sell to willing guests! I've never heard of someone going to WDW to enjoy the quality of the food.

Don't underestimate Disney Quick Service. I find myself choosing Disney QSR (Satu'li, Flame Tree, Connections) often for dinner after work most days simply because their quality, service, and pricing are pretty decent.

MrPromey

You can, and we have done so a lot in the past (And I fully admit that a DVC room with a full kitchen and a rental car helps that significantly). But the price of airfare is up. Hotel prices are outrageous. How much does it matter to John Q Public if you can eat cheaper when your cost just to get there and sleep there has risen dramatically? Not to mention ticket prices. I really don't know.

I was thinking about this earlier: A 25% discount on a $250 moderate room 4-5 years ago is a bit different than a 25% discount on a $350 moderate room today. That's still a $560 difference over a week. Going with the average family of 4: Food prices are up and it's probably safe to believe that food costs $400 more over the course of a week than it did 4-5 years ago. Ticket prices have risen a fair amount, probably a safe guess is that it's $500 more than it was 4-5 years ago for 7-day hoppers. On what was likely a $4500 vacation 4-5 years ago, without any airfare increases you're at a 33% increase for the same vacation. And Disney wonders why attendance could be dropping?
Not to mention FP has been un-bundled from ticket prices which creates a silent price hike of an additional 12-30% depending on prices that day and if you just go for G+ or also do ILLs - that's ON TOP of ticket price increases.

That's got to be considered when trying to make a 1:1 comparison.

Otherwise, you're paying all that you outlined to spend more time rotting in lines than you did before since you're now a second class guest in the parks.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not to mention FP has been un-bundled from ticket prices which creates a silent price hike of an additional 12-30% depending on prices that day and if you just go for G+ or also do ILLs - that's ON TOP of ticket price increases.

That's got to be considered when trying to make a 1:1 comparison.

Otherwise, you're paying all that you outlined to spend more time rotting in lines than you did before since you're now a second class guest in the parks.
It’s actually a miracle their attendance hasn’t dipped more than it has…now that I think about it the way you lay it out.

Unrelated story: anyone try to buy a car lately. I haven’t…but I talked to a few at work that have…and the feedback is all the same: “they’re nuts…they want 50% more than the price 2 years ago”

I get the same comment from some of the same people about wdw.

It’s no longer: “they’ll pay it…” that looks all refined and cosmopolitan

Now it’s: “let’s see if they’ll pay it? 🫣🤘🏻

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom