Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

MrPromey

It’s actually a miracle their attendance hasn’t dipped more than it has…now that I think about it the way you lay it out.

Unrelated story: anyone try to buy a car lately. I haven’t…but I talked to a few at work that have…and the feedback is all the same: “they’re nuts…they want 50% more than the price 2 years ago”

I get the same comment from some of the same people about wdw.

It’s no longer: “they’ll pay it…” that looks all refined and cosmopolitan

Now it’s: “let’s see if they’ll pay it? 🫣🤘🏻
They like to talk about how they're just adopting industry norms when they do crappy stuff (like back when they started charging for resort parking before backing off when they realized people weren't dumb enough to accept that when they were already paying a crazy premium for the resort) but this kind of move is more like what they do in the cell industry (a group consumers so love, right?) where they change things around to make it difficult to compare prices either to previous pricing or those of competitors.

Back before he completely lost his mind, the creator of Dilbert, Scott Adams, coined the term confusopoly and it applies, here.

The problem with this strategy is it only works when people don't want to pay more but can afford to - at least for the long-term.

Disney's approach avoids the sticker shock of seeing the higher price with the idea that once people get there, they'll be forced into spending the extra.* Maybe they notice while they're there and are irked but feel like they have no choice or maybe they don't realize quite how bad it is until they get home and a month later, get their credit card statement.

In this situation, if they can afford it, they spend it and maybe that impacts their decision to go back again or maybe it doesn't. Someone like eliza61nyc for instance, may recognize Disney's doing something kinda shady but figures "I can afford it, I had fun - oh well."

But when people can't afford it, they either go and have a crappy time because they can't splurge for the up-charges and feel like they paid a lot for a bad experience* or they get home and realize how much trouble they're in for how much more they ended up spending than they intended to.

For these people, the economy may improve but that negative memory they have of their trip to Disney will be there forever. They are going to think a whole lot harder than that first group on if they ever want to go back.

*Remember, you can't pre-book G+ anymore so there's literally no way of even knowing what the price will be until the day of. Even for those that know they're going to want/need it there is no way to actually budget for it. You just have to go assuming you'll be willing to pay whatever it is that day.

**It's always been possible to pay more for a better experience at Disney but they used to go out of their way to ensure that it either didn't impact normal guests or that any impact was hidden. Now, not only do they not try to hide it, it feels almost like they want to use it as an on-the-spot selling point - "Feeling like a pleb? Click here to pay more now and step out of the common people's line! Want an even better experience? Click here now and come back tonight when the hoi polloi won't even be allowed in the park!"

Last edited:

Lilofan

…hey this just in, Candyland children…

Attendance is down
Ige at CNBC this afternoon -" At WDW we will continue to manage against wage inflation".

In English - looking at costs , efficiencies , to help pay for higher wages, bringing down company debt , layoffs are part of efficiencies

Epcot81Fan

Ige at CNBC this afternoon -" At WDW we will continue to manage against wage inflation".

In English - looking at costs , efficiencies , to help pay for higher wages, bringing down company debt , layoffs are part of efficiencies
Easy-peasy - just take ride vehicles offline, reduce capacity, increase wait times, sell more G+ and ILL. Bam.

Next problem?

MrPromey

Iger just said on Wall Street earnings call expects international tourism to WDW will be down. That’s not good.
Good thing D+ will be turning a profit any day now so they can start to support the Parks as Disney does what is needed to get guests to return.

Right?

... Right?

👍

Last edited:

Lilofan

They need to start selling it on the courtesy trams, and at the resort bus stops and monorail/skyliner stations to start softening people up before they get to the gates.
I've already seen a few fellow guests get liquored up in the parking lots before boarding the tram

Miss Bella

Iger just said on Wall Street earnings call expects international tourism to WDW will be down. That’s not good.
Credit card debt is at all time and auto and credit card delinquencies are on the rise. It’s no surprise people are cutting back.
We usually take three vacations a year. Next year will just one vacation. Every single essential thing in my life from my electric bill to food and everything in between is up in price and not just a little bit up in price.

I would totally go to WDW next year if I could afford two vacations. Even with the negative changes it’s still fun. With limited vacation dollars it’s not my first choice.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
If anyone still wants to argue attendance is not down you’re just sticking your head in the sand.

Iger dodged a question about it harder than OJ dodged a guilty verdict.
I've visited a few times this year (5 days or more each visit), and one thing I've noticed by far is the difference in crowds at the resorts. I've stayed at Wilderness Lodge, Yacht Club and Boardwalk so far this year and all three have been much less crowded than years past.

Less crowded at the resort bars, restaurants and pools as well.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
Anyone arguing that it's up?

A bunch of people in this thread because “the lines were longer than last time I was here.”

Versus the hard data of empty restaurants, plentiful reservations, empty resorts, and @lentesta and co’s data driven approach showing a 15% drop in attendance.

But by all means, you waited in line 10 minutes longer than in 2022 so attendance must be up - let’s not consider staffing is down or rides are being run at less capacity.

LittleBuford

It just seems to be more appropriate to the restaurant forum than a thread about attendance.

WDW has a lot of problems but I doubt too many people are choosing other places over it because of the pizza. One of the things we like about WDW is the variety in counter service offerings, including plant-based ones. It doesn’t seem fair to measure it by pizza. Just my opinion.
For my vegan partner, WDW and Disneyland offer a range of options he’d be hard pressed to find elsewhere. I know it’s anathema to say so here, but we both think the food is pretty good (or most of what we’ve tried, at any rate).

JD80

A bunch of people in this thread because “the lines were longer than last time I was here.”

Versus the hard data of empty restaurants, plentiful reservations, empty resorts, and @lentesta and co’s data driven approach showing a 15% drop in attendance.

But by all means, you waited in line 10 minutes longer than in 2022 so attendance must be up - let’s not consider staffing is down or rides are being run at less capacity.
My impression of the thread is mostly two groups of people. The first are people who are saying it's way down. The second are people saying it's either about the same or not that much slower in response.

I don't think anyone is saying it's more crowded.

Comes down to what people consider way down or slightly down I guess. It's subjective to people on vacation. It's more analytical to people like Len Testa.

Marionnette

My impression of the thread is mostly two groups of people. The first are people who are saying it's way down. The second are people saying it's either about the same or not that much slower in response.

I don't think anyone is saying it's more crowded.

Comes down to what people consider way down or slightly down I guess. It's subjective to people on vacation. It's more analytical to people like Len Testa.
I think two things can be true at he same time. Attendance can be down and it can still feel "just as crowded" as it has at the same time in previous years. Attendance is a number that can be quantified. "Feeling crowded" is a qualitative analysis and is subjective.

Regardless, from the company's standpoint, they can see that the numbers are down at WDW.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I think two things can be true at he same time. Attendance can be down and it can still feel "just as crowded" as it has at the same time in previous years. Attendance is a number that can be quantified. "Feeling crowded" is a qualitative analysis and is subjective.

Regardless, from the company's standpoint, they can see that the numbers are down at WDW.
exactly... of course HEA and Fantasmic are going to be crowded, and ride lines can be long when other rides go down during the day and people are abusing DAS

I think it's interesting how the parties are selling out more now even at higher prices. Honestly, I think it's saying some are just frustrated with the normal day park experience (G+, etc.) and willing to sometimes JUST go to the after hours parties. I know several who have taken a small trip and only did that where before they have a week of park tickets

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom