Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

Lilofan

This first hit home for me when I did a river cruise out of Budapest, down the Danube into Austria and Germany. Walking up and down the hills on cobblestone streets was a killer!! One of my friends lost a full dress size tracking around on that trip. Although I will say hiking up and down the hills of Santorini, Greece, which I did recently, was not for the faint of heart. After this walking around World Showcase is going to be a breeze!! Marie
Our family actually in travel in Europe splurged on delish food ( smaller portions though than in USA ), walked extensively and lost a few pounds during vacation.

cranbiz

Lol boy @Lilofan you hit the nail on the head with that one 🤣 . I'm sitting here recovering from knee replacement surgery.
Damn, this sucka hurt. Thank God for the good drugs 😉
It will get better, hang in there. I was off the pain pills in about 8 days.

Do the exercises faithfully, it really does help. Before long, you will be better than new. I have had both knees done 2 years ago in the span of 4 months. Best thing I ever did.

Lilofan

I go to the gym every day holding on to hope that I can delay the effects of aging as long as I possible.

No matter how hard I work it is going to catch up with me.

I just hope I still have the ability to walk well, deep into old age.
What you are doing is a great pro active way health and wellness and you should be in shape to tackle the miles of walking at WDW.

The Mom

Premium Member
As much as I enjoy discussing world travel (@wannabeBelle we apparently did the same cruise at different times) and I have taken close to a dozen European trips, especially since my husband retired at age 70 several years ago - and we haven't hit the wall yet, despite a hip and knee replacement on his part (he only used opiods for the first 24 hours post-op) - things are getting way off topic.

Could posters please get back to WDW? Thanks.

wannabeBelle

As much as I enjoy discussing world travel (@wannabeBelle we apparently did the same cruise at different times) and I have taken close to a dozen European trips, especially since my husband retired at age 70 several years ago - and we haven't hit the wall yet, despite a hip and knee replacement on his part (he only used opiods for the first 24 hours post-op) - things are getting way off topic.

Could posters please get back to WDW? Thanks.
Sorry @The Mom !!! Marie

nickys

Premium Member
USA has the Americans with Disabilities Act, I do not think Europe has anything similar.
Actually they do. Or individual countries do.

But
a) you usually need to provide proof of your disability and will be asked for proof of a medical diagnosis of your condition before being granted accommodations. But those accommodations can be significant when you do qualify - like a carer going free when accompanying someone with a disability. And in the U.K. official guide dogs are welcomed everywhere, but again you may be asked to show their registration.
and
b) they don’t apply accessibility laws retrospectively.

So Venice, Prague, Rome, Edinburgh and other cities will not be replacing cobbles with smooth pavements or installing elevators into 17th century buildings. Or even more recent 20th century buildings - so some hotels in the centre of cities are not suitable for those with physical disabilities. Historic cities and their buildings will remain difficult to visit for some people with disabilities.
On the other hand the vast majority of public transport in the U.K. for example does accommodate people in ECVs, wheelchairs, buggies etc.

Edit: oops, just seen your post @The Mom .Sorry.

Minnesota disney fan

I would say travel while you can because later in life you MIGHT not be able to anymore. Some people stay healthy enough and have few enough physical issues to travel into their golden years and be able to enjoy it.

My dad "hit the wall" on being able to handle travel when he was around 76.
I always tell my kids that. We are getting to the age where it is more difficult to travel, but we still do it while we can.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
As more people discover that traveling can involve non-WDW destinations, the question becomes - How will Disney respond? Price hikes? Perpetual discounts? They could spend $100 billion at WDW and if prices in general are still out of whack for most travelers vs. what else is available it's not going to make a difference.

My wife asked me last night - Would you rather go to WDW or on a cruise. My response was, "A cruise." Note that I did not say a Disney cruise. It's time to explore other cruise options, because DCL, like WDW, is pricing itself higher and higher for the same ol' same ol' while other cruise lines have caught up on many things while offering more attractive pricing.

wannabeBelle

As more people discover that traveling can involve non-WDW destinations, the question becomes - How will Disney respond? Price hikes? Perpetual discounts? They could spend $100 billion at WDW and if prices in general are still out of whack for most travelers vs. what else is available it's not going to make a difference.

My wife asked me last night - Would you rather go to WDW or on a cruise. My response was, "A cruise." Note that I did not say a Disney cruise. It's time to explore other cruise options, because DCL, like WDW, is pricing itself higher and higher for the same ol' same ol' while other cruise lines have caught up on many things while offering more attractive pricing.
I agree on the DCL comments. While DCL isnt a bad cruise line ( I wasnt blown away on my last trip, but have had a few great cruises prior) I have been branching out into other lines recently due to the cabin configuration first and foremost and pricing is a secondary issue. Every other cruise line has bedding that splits from a queen/king bed into two smaller beds ( twin size usually) DCL does not. When I asked about this I was told that this is what Disney's guests want. Apparently it isnt what I want so either I cruise solo in my cabin and pay the single rate which is about double, or find a cruise line whose bedding cofigurations match my needs which is really easy to do. Marie

eliza61nyc

I know I'm crazy HP but I actually think that is our best hope for change. Eventually Disney is going to hit a brick wall, nothing shakes up stockholders more than losing value. With a serious threat from Universal and crazy prices people will seek greener pastures. I think discounts will continue but at some point they're going to have to take a look in the mirror.

Now right now one of the problems is that many other places are crazy priced also. 5,000 bucks for a week at a nj beach WTH!!
Now we have a dvc so that's a huge saver but we our trip overseas was expensive. We're not hostel or airbnb folks

Last edited:

Andrew25

Crowds have been ridiculous these past few weeks (ignoring this week due to run event), seems like FL Resident discounts are working. We'll see what happens early next year as most of Disney's recent discounts have been targetting that time frame.

The serious question is what does Disney do in 2025 now? Do they call 2024 a loss if discounts don't work and hope they can entice visitors with events/nighttime parades?

wannabeBelle

Crowds have been ridiculous these past few weeks (ignoring this week due to run event), seems like FL Resident discounts are working. We'll see what happens early next year as most of Disney's recent discounts have been targetting that time frame.

The serious question is what does Disney do in 2025 now? Do they call 2024 a loss if discounts don't work and hope they can entice visitors with events/nighttime parades?
Im not entirely sure that will work. Especially if people are starting to look elsewhere and are finding more value in the dollar elsewhere. I think the situation can be corrected but I think it will involve a lot of "looking in the mirror" and making serious changes on a few different fronts. Are they ready to do that is the question though?? Marie

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Im not entirely sure that will work. Especially if people are starting to look elsewhere and are finding more value in the dollar elsewhere. I think the situation can be corrected but I think it will involve a lot of "looking in the mirror" and making serious changes on a few different fronts. Are they ready to do that is the question though?? Marie
Pride goeth before the fall.

MrPromey

I wonder how "favorable" the mix has been.

If it's mostly locals like your post seems to suggest, management has made clear that's not what they want and is probably nervous at h-e-double-hockey-sticks in private right now.

That may create the impression on the ground that things are good but it would mean they're absolutely not getting the spending they've grown fat and lazy on over the last couple decades.

Grimley1968

I hope their emphasis, if they do decide to make some changes, is pointed equally to increasing the value of a WDW vacation rather than simply cutting the costs of one. Hopefully they can do both. For years they have raised costs while reducing the value. Of course "value" is a subjective term, but I think there are plenty of commonalities in what most people consider as the value of a WDW vacation.

wannabeBelle

Quite possible, but its a personal choice to spend your monies at WDW.
Agreed, but the conversation is about how to get guests back and spending money at your parks. I think we have already established that there are a number of other vacation destinations that people can go to, reasons why people may not have the money to spend, etc. That is a given. The question for me, is what's the next move to attract guests, old and new to the Parks. Marie

Lilofan

Agreed, but the conversation is about how to get guests back and spending money at your parks. I think we have already established that there are a number of other vacation destinations that people can go to, reasons why people may not have the money to spend, etc. That is a given. The question for me, is what's the next move to attract guests, old and new to the Parks. Marie
In 3 days, Iger pulls tricks out of his magic hat when he and the CFO have a public quarterly earnings call with Wall Street. Would Wall Street ask your questions during Q&A? I doubt it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom