Is anything big coming after the FLE?

juniorthomas

Tip of the iceberg. Think about it.

Soarin' is one of the most successful and popular attractions at WDW. So, you're an imagineer and you're going to REPLACE the experience with something new. This is so much more than just "make a 5 minute IMAX film."

Which world landmarks are you going to soar over, and how? Permits, governments, schedule, logistics.

I'm guessing they are doing something like a 3D previsualization of all the options. Think a google earth type prep, where you are finding the right path over, say, the pyramids in Egypt.

Add in a dozen or more locations. Now try to make that flight path feel smooth, similar speed, think about the whole path of the attraction, not each individual airplane/helicopter move.

Plan it all, then have your plans go awry because of a revolution in Egypt, or multiple days of bad weather.

As has been said, coordinate shots with on-camera talent, like the skiiers, the jet plane pilots, etc.

Now--have your pilots actually replicate what you want--take, after take, after take.

Feed your crew. Pay them.

Work for months, and months, and months. Finish the film.

Reprogram the seats of the attraction. Test out new smells, order up the concoctions, clean out the old smells.

Test the attraction some more. Adjust.

Oh--film a new intro video. Train cast members. Redo the park maps, new signage. Add advertising to TV, the web, the parks DVDs. Send Stacy over there for a day or two.

Soft-open. Grand open.

Then sit back, after years of hard work, and enjoy the flood of comments: "I liked the OLD film better!" "Why didn't the fly over *my favorite thing*?" etc.

As a producer, this post hit way too close to home.

baymenxpac

Tip of the iceberg. Think about it.

Soarin' is one of the most successful and popular attractions at WDW. So, you're an imagineer and you're going to REPLACE the experience with something new. This is so much more than just "make a 5 minute IMAX film."

Which world landmarks are you going to soar over, and how? Permits, governments, schedule, logistics.

I'm guessing they are doing something like a 3D previsualization of all the options. Think a google earth type prep, where you are finding the right path over, say, the pyramids in Egypt.

Add in a dozen or more locations. Now try to make that flight path feel smooth, similar speed, think about the whole path of the attraction, not each individual airplane/helicopter move.

Plan it all, then have your plans go awry because of a revolution in Egypt, or multiple days of bad weather.

As has been said, coordinate shots with on-camera talent, like the skiiers, the jet plane pilots, etc.

Now--have your pilots actually replicate what you want--take, after take, after take.

Feed your crew. Pay them.

Work for months, and months, and months. Finish the film.

Reprogram the seats of the attraction. Test out new smells, order up the concoctions, clean out the old smells.

Test the attraction some more. Adjust.

Oh--film a new intro video. Train cast members. Redo the park maps, new signage. Add advertising to TV, the web, the parks DVDs. Send Stacy over there for a day or two.

Soft-open. Grand open.

Then sit back, after years of hard work, and enjoy the flood of comments: "I liked the OLD film better!" "Why didn't the fly over *my favorite thing*?" etc.

FANTASTIC post. and oh, so true.

flavious27

lol, nope. But if I was going to be an imagineer on that attraction, I'd have a camelback full of coffee at all times. Add that to the budget!:lol:

Well stock up on depends and advil then and add another million.

Working with tdo, they will spend as little as possible, so they will be looking for just a new 5 minute film.

I imagine that tdo would have soarin as soarin over america instead of the soarin over the world. SO I was thinking of including these locations:

Glacier park in Alaska
Surfers in hawaii with a volcano erupting
Cutting through the fog to the Golden Gate Bridge
Dipping into the Grand Canyon
Flyover of the Minnesota State Fair or another state fair
Flying around Sears Tower or scaling it
Niagara Falls
A New England Village
Flying from the Empire State Building to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty
Independence Hall
Flying into Camden Yards as a baseball is hit
White House or the Capitol
Riding EE and flying past a working Yeti
Either showing Illuminations or Wishes

And yes people will complain that something wasn't included, but the only way to solve that would adjusting sum of all thrills to use google earth to plot a flight path.

Instead of filming it, couldnt they tell a better story with better continuity and use of IMAX by doing the whole film in CGI? Just a thought....

we have mission space already, that fulfills the e-ticket simulator with cgi based film.

Well played.

I doubt he would have gotten the refreence to wawa's portable coffee mug.

3320571603_650fdd05bb.jpg

RSoxNo1

There actually was a concept for a CGI version of Soarin... Soarin over Fantasy. They used PhilharMagic's video to test the feasibility of it.

KaliSplash

This discussion reminds me greatly of Magic Carpet Around the World in Tomorrowland many years ago. (Where MILF is now, for those too young too remember.

KaliSplash

Although LMA and M:S aren't what I'd call E-ticket attractions, I would argue if BTM or Space Mtn is an E than so is Everest, but I guess that depends on who you talk to (though I would guess most agree that Everst, BTM, and Space Mtn are all E-tickets). Everest really is the last E-ticket added to WDW within the last 6 years though, unless you count Soarin, though idk if that really qualifies as an E-ticket attraction. That's really just plain sad...I would think every 3-4 years at least one park should add an E-ticket attraction or some form of major expansion along the lines of the FLE, though perhaps that's wishful thinking, and I really don't know how E-ticket additions have worked in the past.

I think you have to consider M:S, EE and even LMA all E-tickets. These are massive, intense and expensive efforts. Did they all turn out they way we might wish, no. But in terms of the scope of the attractions and what they try to do, clearly they are e-ticket. Soarin has had the effect of being an e-ticket as well, even with its obvious limitations.
You must remember some of the things that were considered e-tickets when they premiered.
But to the original point of the thread, we are standing by for more.

flavious27

Any new US Soarin' was meant to be part of the WDSP version of Soarin' which was indeed meant to be world-wide footage. Hence higher costs.

With the amount of IMAX movies made, disney could just make a soarin over the world film using those clips and put an imax logo on the sign.

flavious27

I think you have to consider M:S, EE and even LMA all E-tickets. These are massive, intense and expensive efforts. Did they all turn out they way we might wish, no. But in terms of the scope of the attractions and what they try to do, clearly they are e-ticket. Soarin has had the effect of being an e-ticket as well, even with its obvious limitations.
You must remember some of the things that were considered e-tickets when they premiered.
But to the original point of the thread, we are standing by for more.

agreed, an e-ticket ride are the rides that are popular, bring in guests, and cost a chunk of change.

So for DHS there is Star Tours, LMA, RNRC, and TOT with MSM as a D ticket.

IowaHawks7

Original Poster
Glacier park in Alaska
Niagara Falls
A New England Village
Independence Hall

What about instead of going to Camden Yards they would go to Fenway Park? Also they should go to either plymouth rock or Jamestown (Pochantas tie in) and they should go to Gettysburg

flavious27

You are correct, and I still have no clue as to what you're on about. Care to illuminate? Thanks!

wawa is a large convenience store in the mid Atlantic region, they use to sell a coffee mug that held 64 oz, which is the same as a coffee pot. oh and it cost less to fill it up than the average cost of a starbucks drink.

flavious27

Glacier park in Alaska
Niagara Falls
A New England Village
Independence Hall

What about instead of going to Camden Yards they would go to Fenway Park? Also they should go to either plymouth rock or Jamestown (Pochantas tie in) and they should go to Gettysburg

would disney allude to war and america's darkest time with gettysburg, while also being able to illustrate with a flyover that the rolling hills were a battleground?

The same with jamestown and plymouth, how can they visually tell the guests that is what they are seeing?

fenway could be used instead, but camden yards influenced the stadium design for the majority of the major league stadiums.

SeaCastle

If they're indeed filming a new Soarin', I hope they can come up with a better ending. Nothing says "anticlimatic" like a synergy-laden 30 seconds of watching a park thousands of miles away (during Christmas) and some computer-animated fireworks.

TP2000

If they're indeed filming a new Soarin', I hope they can come up with a better ending. Nothing says "anticlimatic" like a synergy-laden 30 seconds of watching a park thousands of miles away (during Christmas) and some computer-animated fireworks.

They really should have filmed a new 20 second ending for the Soarin' film in Epcot. It does take on a disconnected, sacharine-synergy distaste in Epcot.

At DCA, that final scene flying over Disneyland always gets whoops and hollers from the SoCal audience, but in Epcot it generally has people peering at the screen trying to figure out which park that is and why there's a giant Swiss mountain at the end of Main Street. :lol:

flavious27

They really should have filmed a new 20 second ending for the Soarin' film in Epcot. It does take on a disconnected, sacharine-synergy distaste in Epcot.

At DCA, that final scene flying over Disneyland always gets whoops and hollers from the SoCal audience, but in Epcot it generally has people peering at the screen trying to figure out which park that is and why there's a giant Swiss mountain at the end of Main Street. :lol:

agreed I keep forgetting that it is dl until you notice that everything is wrong.

comics101

Numerous aerial reccies, then numerous test flights shooting video, then a few actual Omnimax flights are a bit more than one 737.

Add ATC clearance, rigging the aircraft (s), flight planning, crew hours, permits....

And that`s before you rent an Omnimax camera, film, developing, edit the thing, write, compose and record the orchestral score...

and before you actually pay anyone.

I'd be willing to bet there are more than a few Epcot fans who'd gladly give up a years worth of weekends for free to make this thing happen, so that pretty much takes care of the "pay anyone" part lol.

juniorthomas

Well stock up on depends and advil then and add another million.

Working with tdo, they will spend as little as possible, so they will be looking for just a new 5 minute film.

I imagine that tdo would have soarin as soarin over america instead of the soarin over the world. SO I was thinking of including these locations:

Glacier park in Alaska
Niagara Falls
A New England Village
Independence Hall

And yes people will complain that something wasn't included, but the only way to solve that would adjusting sum of all thrills to use google earth to plot a flight path.

we have mission space already, that fulfills the e-ticket simulator with cgi based film.

I doubt he would have gotten the refreence to wawa's portable coffee mug.

3320571603_650fdd05bb.jpg

CLASSIC. The 64 ouncer. SO proud right now. What's the story behind that shot?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom