Is anything big coming after the FLE?

TP2000

Are the planes they using saffron and toner ink as fuel? Soarin is a 5 minute film, a 5 hour flight in a 737 costs 30k in fuel.

In several public presentations, the Imagineers who worked on Soarin' have stated it took them many months to get all the footage needed for the Soarin' Over California film. It took many retakes and botched days of filming due to weather.

You don't think all those rafters and skiiers and horseback riders and golfers and surfers and hot air balloons and Marine Corps jets and Navy destroyers and Disneyland Christmas Parades all just fell into place over a week or two of filming, do you?

Interesting thing, the big sweep over Lake Tahoe where the skiiers are jumping off the ledge and skiing down the mountain while the copter crests the top was supposed to reveal the sparkling blue waters of Lake Tahoe. But on every day that they set up the filming, the fog on the lake surface just refused to lift. They finally had to give up, mainly due to an exhausted budget and timeline.

That shot of foggy Lake Tahoe that looks like this in Soarin'...
lake_tahoe_fog_looking_northwest.jpg

Was actually supposed to look like this fog-free version of that stunning Northern California lake...
Lake%20Tahoe%20Skiing.jpg

And those problems were just filming in one American state, near Disney headquarters. I can only imagine the handicaps and headaches and heartaches they'd be faced with filming these epic film-attractions in a foreign country. Not to mention the HUGE pricetag for it all.

NoChesterHester

In several public presentations, the Imagineers who worked on Soarin' have stated it took them many months to get all the footage needed for the Soarin' Over California film. It took many retakes and botched days of filming due to weather.

You don't think all those rafters and skiiers and horseback riders and golfers and surfers and hot air balloons and Marine Corps jets and Navy destroyers and Disneyland Christmas Parades all just fell into place over a week or two of filming, do you?

Interesting thing, the big sweep over Lake Tahoe where the skiiers are jumping off the ledge and skiing down the mountain while the copter crests the top was supposed to reveal the sparkling blue waters of Lake Tahoe. But on every day that they set up the filming, the fog on the lake surface just refused to lift. They finally had to give up, mainly due to an exhausted budget and timeline.

Was actually supposed to look like this fog-free version of that stunning Northern California lake...

And those problems were just filming in one American state, near Disney headquarters. I can only imagine the handicaps and headaches and heartaches they'd be faced with filming these epic film-attractions in a foreign country. Not to mention the HUGE pricetag for it all.

Great post. Most people don't realize that film based attractions aren't "cheap" by any stretch of the imagination.

Look at it this way... Captain EO cost 17 million for a seventeen minute film in 1986. Adjust that for inflation and that is about 35 million dollars. Now Soarin doesn't have the A-List on screen talent to pay for, but it utilizes one of the most expensive camera systems in the world.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Are the planes they using saffron and toner ink as fuel? Soarin is a 5 minute film, a 5 hour flight in a 737 costs 30k in fuel.
Numerous aerial reccies, then numerous test flights shooting video, then a few actual Omnimax flights are a bit more than one 737.

Add ATC clearance, rigging the aircraft (s), flight planning, crew hours, permits....

And that`s before you rent an Omnimax camera, film, developing, edit the thing, write, compose and record the orchestral score...

and before you actually pay anyone.

flavious27

I am not disputing the length of the project, I am disputing that the fuel costs would cost 2 or 3 million.

flavious27

Numerous aerial reccies, then numerous test flights shooting video, then a few actual Omnimax flights are a bit more than one 737.

Add ATC clearance, rigging the aircraft (s), flight planning, crew hours, permits....

And that`s before you rent an Omnimax camera, film, developing, edit the thing, write, compose and record the orchestral score...

and before you actually pay anyone.

But that isn't going to burn 500,000 gallons of fuel.

fbp

There is almost nothing here about what might be coming after FLE. I can't help ya' out - I have no idea.

flavious27

Great post. Most people don't realize that film based attractions aren't "cheap" by any stretch of the imagination.

Look at it this way... Captain EO cost 17 million for a seventeen minute film in 1986. Adjust that for inflation and that is about 35 million dollars. Now Soarin doesn't have the A-List on screen talent to pay for, but it utilizes one of the most expensive camera systems in the world.

Caption EO was the most expensive movie per minute at the time because of the special effects and cast used, you can't compare a new soarin film to that.

How much do you think it costs to film a short IMAX film?

HamTown

Busch Gardens Williamsburg has a "low-rent" version of Soarin' that has footage flying around the Arc d' Triumph, Stonehenge, the Coliseum and Blarney Castle. Surely if BGW (which, BTW, has added a new major ride at least every other year since we've had season passes) can get their hands on footage, Disney can too.

Well, to get back on topic here, whatever happened to the "tip of the iceberg" plans that Juan once talked about? Should we be expecting any big announcements at Destination D or the D23 expo?

flavious27

Do tell us?

The 2 - 3 million estimate would fit for a 5 minute film. It does cost about $4000 per 3 minutes of film, but the clips in soarin are about 30 seconds long. I imagine that the aerial cinematographer will take a few test shots before using the imax film, so each clip is not using 100k worth of film.

Atomicmickey

The 2 - 3 million estimate would fit for a 5 minute film. It does cost about $4000 per 3 minutes of film, but the clips in soarin are about 30 seconds long. I imagine that the aerial cinematographer will take a few test shots before using the imax film, so each clip is not using 100k worth of film.

Tip of the iceberg. Think about it.

Soarin' is one of the most successful and popular attractions at WDW. So, you're an imagineer and you're going to REPLACE the experience with something new. This is so much more than just "make a 5 minute IMAX film."

Which world landmarks are you going to soar over, and how? Permits, governments, schedule, logistics.

I'm guessing they are doing something like a 3D previsualization of all the options. Think a google earth type prep, where you are finding the right path over, say, the pyramids in Egypt.

Add in a dozen or more locations. Now try to make that flight path feel smooth, similar speed, think about the whole path of the attraction, not each individual airplane/helicopter move.

Plan it all, then have your plans go awry because of a revolution in Egypt, or multiple days of bad weather.

As has been said, coordinate shots with on-camera talent, like the skiiers, the jet plane pilots, etc.

Now--have your pilots actually replicate what you want--take, after take, after take.

Feed your crew. Pay them.

Work for months, and months, and months. Finish the film.

Reprogram the seats of the attraction. Test out new smells, order up the concoctions, clean out the old smells.

Test the attraction some more. Adjust.

Oh--film a new intro video. Train cast members. Redo the park maps, new signage. Add advertising to TV, the web, the parks DVDs. Send Stacy over there for a day or two.

Soft-open. Grand open.

Then sit back, after years of hard work, and enjoy the flood of comments: "I liked the OLD film better!" "Why didn't the fly over *my favorite thing*?" etc.

flavious27

Tip of the iceberg. Think about it.

Soarin' is one of the most successful and popular attractions at WDW. So, you're an imagineer and you're going to REPLACE the experience with something new. This is so much more than just "make a 5 minute IMAX film."

Which world landmarks are you going to soar over, and how? Permits, governments, schedule, logistics.

I'm guessing they are doing something like a 3D previsualization of all the options. Think a google earth type prep, where you are finding the right path over, say, the pyramids in Egypt.

Add in a dozen or more locations. Now try to make that flight path feel smooth, similar speed, think about the whole path of the attraction, not each individual airplane/helicopter move.

Plan it all, then have your plans go awry because of a revolution in Egypt, or multiple days of bad weather.

As has been said, coordinate shots with on-camera talent, like the skiiers, the jet plane pilots, etc.

Now--have your pilots actually replicate what you want--take, after take, after take.

Feed your crew. Pay them.

Work for months, and months, and months. Finish the film.

Reprogram the seats of the attraction. Test out new smells, order up the concoctions, clean out the old smells.

Test the attraction some more. Adjust.

Oh--film a new intro video. Train cast members. Redo the park maps, new signage. Add advertising to TV, the web, the parks DVDs. Send Stacy over there for a day or two.

Soft-open. Grand open.

Then sit back, after years of hard work, and enjoy the flood of comments: "I liked the OLD film better!" "Why didn't the fly over *my favorite thing*?" etc.

Did you just have that wine bottle size of starbucks coffee?

misterID

Well, to get back on topic here, whatever happened to the "tip of the iceberg" plans that Juan once talked about? Should we be expecting any big announcements at Destination D or the D23 expo?

ooh, I'd like to hear more about this...

If anyone can answer this, will there be big WDW news at D23?

Did Knee

Instead of filming it, couldnt they tell a better story with better continuity and use of IMAX by doing the whole film in CGI? Just a thought....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom