Is anything big coming after the FLE?

juniorthomas

After reading this entire thread, I'm sure the next biggest thing Disney might do is invest in the idea of making 64 oz. coffee thermoses in the shape of either Mickey's head, and or Spaceship Earth. That's what it looks like right now. :shrug::ROFLOL:

And I'm sure we could come up with even better ideas too

janoimagine

I doubt it would be that high. Concepting a video should only require hours; isn't visualization more of a sfx thing too?; and even if there are scouts there wouldn't be so many as to break over a million dollars. Creative teams and producers could scout the various locations - about 13 separate shots or so - for well under $250k. Permits would be expensive, but I'm sure the state tourism board is more willing to give permits to Disney than some small production company. Plane/helicopter rental would need to be factored in, along with film crews. I'd say the filming would be somewhere between $6 million and $10 million.

Visualization as in pre-vis ... concepts and vis? Not a sound thing ... that would be post production or audio post, and don't forget the transfer, they most likely used Company 3 in Santa Monica and those guys aren't cheap.

As for concept phase taking a few hours, thats spoken like a true producer/account exec. People think its easy. :D

I produce now, but was an Art Director for a long time and writing a concept takes a bit more time than that, more so when you factor in re-writes, and approvals, ect. Also consider this isn't your typical film, it's being used in a never before tried sim (at the time), imagineers would have been the writers, and they make pretty good salaries last time I checked.

Point being, it more than likely took weeks/months to concept and develop before they arrived at what we see on screen today.

Your also assuming the state tourisim board cut them a break, I shoot a lot in California and I would be very surprised if they cut any breaks, considering it is Disney they might have even hit them harder. Everyone in CA charges a location fee, a permit fee, a city fee, a state fee, a national park fee, park monitors, park rangers not to mention safety things like fire patrol, ect. California is hip to the drill.

Another thing you might have overlooked is the F-18 hornets doing the fly over in death valley, (or the chopper taking off the deck of the USS Stennis, that took some dollars too) ... those planes aren't cheap to stage, most likely they came from Lemoore in Northern CA and that is not a cheap flight. The military may have worked with Disney on this but they still would have had to pay something, if not at the very least fuel.

Dont forget all the talent and extras, plus the stunts.

You see 13 separate shots in the final film, but as producers you and I both know (or should know) that you shoot a ton more footage than what typically ends up in the final edit.

I would stand by the figure of 15 to 20 million but would love to see the final budget in any case.

janoimagine

Well if the equipment has already been bought, that would bring down the cost of any addition soarin films, though the cost of an imax camera is in the mid 6 figure range.

Your forgetting, or maybe your unaware of this, just like with Panavision, you cannot buy an Imax camera, they are rented/leased, the estimated value of a Panavision camera is about $500,000 ... I have no idea how much an Imax camera costs, however the last time an acquaintance of mine used one, the insurance policy he had to take out to cover damages on the camera was over $700,000.

Food for thought.

flavious27

Your forgetting, or maybe your unaware of this, just like with Panavision, you cannot buy an Imax camera, they are rented/leased, the estimated value of a Panavision camera is about $500,000 ... I have no idea how much an Imax camera costs, however the last time an acquaintance of mine used one, the insurance policy he had to take out to cover damages on the camera was over $700,000.

Food for thought.

When the alps movie was made, they quoted the price of an imax camera at 400k.

janoimagine

When the alps movie was made, they quoted the price of an imax camera at 400k.

Thats interresting, what year was that?

Edit: Found it, 2007.

I know there are 26 Imax cameras in existence, the one that a friend of mine has his hands on was designed to shoot with the new 2K digital projection in mind. Im sure that had something to do with the large loss-payee clause on his rider.

flavious27

Visualization as in pre-vis ... concepts and vis? Not a sound thing ... that would be post production or audio post, and don't forget the transfer, they most likely used Company 3 in Santa Monica and those guys aren't cheap.

As for concept phase taking a few hours, thats spoken like a true producer/account exec. People think its easy. :D

I produce now, but was an Art Director for a long time and writing a concept takes a bit more time than that, more so when you factor in re-writes, and approvals, ect. Also consider this isn't your typical film, it's being used in a never before tried sim (at the time), imagineers would have been the writers, and they make pretty good salaries last time I checked.

Point being, it more than likely took weeks/months to concept and develop before they arrived at what we see on screen today.

Your also assuming the state tourisim board cut them a break, I shoot a lot in California and I would be very surprised if they cut any breaks, considering it is Disney they might have even hit them harder. Everyone in CA charges a location fee, a permit fee, a city fee, a state fee, a national park fee, park monitors, park rangers not to mention safety things like fire patrol, ect. California is hip to the drill.

Another thing you might have overlooked is the F-18 hornets doing the fly over in death valley, (or the chopper taking off the deck of the USS Stennis, that took some dollars too) ... those planes aren't cheap to stage, most likely they came from Lemoore in Northern CA and that is not a cheap flight. The military may have worked with Disney on this but they still would have had to pay something, if not at the very least fuel.

You see 13 separate shots in the final film, but as producers you and I both know (or should know) that you shoot a ton more footage than what typically ends up in the final edit.

I would stand by the figure of 15 to 20 million but would love to see the final budget in any case.

Everyone would love to see the figures of how much different projects at disney actually cost, I think you will see walt's frozen body first.

But with software like google earth and existing film footage, the planning stages will cost less. I kinda of think that wdi already have locations in mind and will make a rough demo before the next steps in the project.

disneyeater

A mug shaped like the hat or a mug shaped like the earful tower. If the earful was metal, it could be used as a weapon to protect guests from other guests that get handsy.

I am excited about the Tree of Life version of this!

BTW, I actually have one of those wawa mugs at home somewhere.

flavious27

Thats interresting, what year was that?

Edit: Found it, 2007.

I know there are 26 Imax cameras in existence, the one that a friend of mine has his hands on was designed to shoot with the new 2K digital projection in mind. Im sure that had something to do with the large loss-payee clause on his rider.

yeah, 2007 it came out so it was filmed in 2006 at some point.

2k imax camera? Isn't imax 4,000 lines of horizontal pixels?

flavious27

I am excited about the Tree of Life version of this!

BTW, I actually have one of those wawa mugs at home somewhere.

Well hopefully someone from disney merchandising looks through these forums. There are some stores that still have them for sale, for some reason they haven't been able to sell them.

janoimagine

yeah, 2007 it came out so it was filmed in 2006 at some point.

2k imax camera? Isn't imax 4,000 lines of horizontal pixels?

My bad, I was thinking about two different things and combined them into one.

I was thinking about the Imax 3D Cameras and the 2K digital projectors in the higher end theaters.

I believe the camera was called a 3D30 I have a call into him to find out.

Actually Imax is in the ballpark of 12,000 × 8,700 pixels on its 70mm neg, but your eye cant process all that.

juniorthomas

Never said concepting was easy. I just figure Disney wouldn't put months of concepting into a 4 minute video. Sure, the ride itself and the technology likely had way more hours, but I'm not thinking they take months to concept what is essentially a tourism video.

I think there may have been a few favors called in to make a lot of this happen. I sincerely doubt the US Navy was hired by Disney to go out and boat around for an hour or two.

And talent shouldn't have been too large of a concern. They'd all be extras anyway. Since it was Disney, they probably said "Here's $2,000. We'll use your image in perpetuity. Take it or we'll find someone else."

Would be very interesting to see where those dollars went though. I don't at all think that its impossible the budget could have hit $15 million. I think its more likely to be less, and even then not by much. Amazing to think of the money that went into those four minutes!

juniorthomas

Everyone would love to see the figures of how much different projects at disney actually cost, I think you will see walt's frozen body first.

But with software like google earth and existing film footage, the planning stages will cost less. I kinda of think that wdi already have locations in mind and will make a rough demo before the next steps in the project.

Yeah. They don't need to scout the Golden Gate Bridge. WORD.

juniorthomas

Well hopefully someone from disney merchandising looks through these forums. There are some stores that still have them for sale, for some reason they haven't been able to sell them.

Wouldn't it be great to show up on property down the line and find a 64 ounce hat hat with crazy straws coming out of it? I don't even mind if they steal our ideas. That would be hilarious.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom