Rumor Inside Out to Replace Journey into Imagination with Figment?

Cmdr_Crimson

Let’s not forget about MuppetVision 3D out there.

They just sort of closed it and all the talk moved to the Frozen show. I don’t think Disney ever mentioned it being permanently closed (like it obviously is)
my understanding is that the majority of props for Muppet Vision are still intact.. however, as the theater is now being used as a preview theater the movie posters that are in the queue are covering up a lot of the items that you would see. I do believe inside the theater that Bean, the Orchestra penguins, Statler and Waldorf are still there as well but just covered up. I keep hoping that it will return at DCA as it's a shame that there is nothing Muppet related out at the DisneyLand resort.

UPDATE: Here's some examples...Again most of the props or items were just covered up....
Before...
MuppetsDCA_A.jpg

After...
20180525_175237_wm-1.jpg

Before...
B4b2ibfCcAInfdR.jpg

After...
20180519_154352-M.jpg

Last edited:

Brer Oswald

Apologies on bumping a thread that’s been dormant for half a year, but have there been any updates on this? From where we left off, there appeared to be multiple ideas on the table including Inside Out, as well something that still involves Figment. Based on the surveys, it appears like keeping Figment is an idea they are playing with but not wanting to commit to. However, a bunch of people seem to be confident Inside Out “Imagination” is a definite thing.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Apologies on bumping a thread that’s been dormant for half a year, but have there been any updates on this? From where we left off, there appeared to be multiple ideas on the table including Inside Out, as well something that still involves Figment. Based on the surveys, it appears like keeping Figment is an idea they are playing with but not wanting to commit to. However, a bunch of people seem to be confident Inside Out “Imagination” is a definite thing.

Last thing from insiders: Still competing ideas without a greenlight, budget, or timeline.

HauntedMansionFLA

Too bad they wouldn’t put a 3D Figment in the movie theatre and rehab the ride

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
My friend's family just got back from their WDW trip. Their daughter having never been to WDW before fell in love with Figment and proceeded to buy a plush and shirt immediately after exiting the attraction. These were her only attraction specific souvenirs. She's a little old, IMO to be toting a plush around but supposedly it never leaves her side.

Does merch have any sway in determining things?

Last edited:

FigmentJedi

My friend's family just got back from their WDW trip. Their daughter having never been to WDW before fell in love with Figment and proceeded to buy a plush and shirt immediately after exiting the attraction. These were her only attraction specific souvenirs. She's a little old, IMO to be toting a plush around but supposedly it never leaves her side.

Merch is the main thing keeping him alive at the moment.

Figments Friend

Merch does not make as much of a sway as fans would like to the decision makers when it comes to the hope of refreshing the Imagination Pavilion.
A lot of fans seem to have this idea that if they buy a lot of Figment merch it will 'send the message to Disney' that they want a restored Pavillion with a imaginative Attraction again.
This is particularly true with 'retro' merch that features Dreamfinder or 'nostalgic' elements from the Original ride.

In reality, it only sends the message that Figment and 'retro' JII merchandise sells and alerts Marketing to just create more of it for sales.
It has very little impact otherwise.

The recent exception however was the release of the Marvel 'Figment' comic book series a few years ago.
THIS did create awareness within the halls of Burbank and some executives took notice of it's success.
It was hoped at the time that this would help drive a re-do of the Attraction, but alas, nothing has come of it to date.

The problem is, as i've covered here and elsewhere before, is that most of the execs at Disney that have the power to make such changes are too young to have known the Original.
Many never experienced it at EPCOT Center back in the day, so they don't have the emotional connection to the memory of it.
They are also for the most part California based, so there is a difference of awareness when one is based on the West Coast.
So they honestly have NO IDEA of the scope and how much this Attraction effected and meant to people back in the day, and STILL does today.
They were clueless, until the 'Figment' comic series came out and it was so successful.
Surprisingly successful in their eyes, so much so it made many sit up and take a deeper look.
Marvel's biggest selling non-super hero series EVER.
That got their attention.

Now, some are more aware of it...but there is still opposition within the Company to invest any serious resources into it at present.

I hope one day it happens...and there is a return to a truly imaginative experience with these characters Dreamfinder and Figment.
NO stupid 'Pixar' crap...or other 'contemporary' IP. It is NOT NEEDED in this case.
We already had a brilliant concept that should be and CAN be built upon, not destroyed.

It has to happen at some point...long overdue.
Here's to hoping.

-

Last edited:

trainplane3

I hope one day it happens...and there is a return to a truly imaginative experience with these characters Dreamfinder and Figment.
NO stupid 'Pixar' crap...or other 'contemporary' IP. It is NOT NEEDED in this case.
We already had a brilliant concept that should be and CAN be built upon, not destroyed.

It has to happen at some point...long overdue.
Here's to hoping.

-
I agree with this.

It's kind of sad when you hear Ron talk about it though. In interviews he usually refers to F+G as old news and how people should move on from them (heavily summarizing). I know his opinion doesn't matter to the parks in this day and age but it does sting. I still enjoyed his pitches using another IP to tie into Imagination to which I countered with, "I would rather something unique that can't be seen outside of the park beforehand". Which is also the reason why Epcot was my favorite park on my first visit at the age of 5/6/7-ish and I dropped MK like a lead balloon/bag of rocks/a gondola full of cooking passengers tumbling into a alligator infested lake.

Even though they never would, it would be great for a real Imagination overhaul to be Tonys truly final project with Disney.

Side note; You've met Tony, you should try to meet Ron one day (unless you already have). He's a complete joy to talk to. Extremely nice, incredible stories, and just a great person all around. I could listen to him for days honestly.

Figments Friend

I agree with this.

It's kind of sad when you hear Ron talk about it though. In interviews he usually refers to F+G as old news and how people should move on from them (heavily summarizing). I know his opinion doesn't matter to the parks in this day and age but it does sting. I still enjoyed his pitches using another IP to tie into Imagination to which I countered with, "I would rather something unique that can't be seen outside of the park beforehand". Which is also the reason why Epcot was my favorite park on my first visit at the age of 5/6/7-ish and I dropped MK like a lead balloon/bag of rocks/a gondola full of cooking passengers tumbling into a alligator infested lake.

Even though they never would, it would be great for a real Imagination overhaul to be Tonys truly final project with Disney.

Side note; You've met Tony, you should try to meet Ron one day (unless you already have). He's a complete joy to talk to. Extremely nice, incredible stories, and just a great person all around. I could listen to him for days honestly.

I have indeed had the pleasure, and met Ron back in 2007 the day after the Epcot 25th Anniversary get together.
Totally by chance, but it was quite a treat to spend a few hours at the MK with him some years ago.
We had a fun afternoon with a few Disney friends of his.

I've also had some long distance interactions, as Ron has complimented me on some of my Tony & Figment artwork that I have shared here and via social media.
:)

Regarding Tony, yes I am certain he would love to be a part of bringing some of the creative magic back to the Imagination Pavillion.
If only they would let him..!!
:cry:

The Fab Four -
Tony, Ron, our lil' purple pal, and Richard Sherman

image.jpeg

-

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

On the latest episode of the Marty Called podcast we tasked ourselves with a homework assignment, "come up with a story treatment to put an IP into Epcot". Skipper Ben came up with a treatment of Inside Out in the Imagination Pavilion that I actually like. Figment's imagination is getting the best of him and we get the Inside Out treatment inside Figment's mind... 5 Figments: Joy, Sadness, Fear, Anger, Disgust with the emotions from Riley's brain also working with Figment over the course of the attraction. We're going to flush it out even further on future episodes.

Prior to that suggestion I've yet to hear an Inside Out story treatment that I felt made sense for the Imagination Pavilion, but it does reinforce the point that there are ways to put characters into Future World in a way that also harkens back to EPCOT Center. The approach I like to take is, "if the movie didn't exist, would this work in the themed area?"

Brer Oswald

On the latest episode of the Marty Called podcast we tasked ourselves with a homework assignment, "come up with a story treatment to put an IP into Epcot". Skipper Ben came up with a treatment of Inside Out in the Imagination Pavilion that I actually like. Figment's imagination is getting the best of him and we get the Inside Out treatment inside Figment's mind... 5 Figments: Joy, Sadness, Fear, Anger, Disgust with the emotions from Riley's brain also working with Figment over the course of the attraction. We're going to flush it out even further on future episodes.

Prior to that suggestion I've yet to hear an Inside Out story treatment that I felt made sense for the Imagination Pavilion, but it does reinforce the point that there are ways to put characters into Future World in a way that also harkens back to EPCOT Center. The approach I like to take is, "if the movie didn't exist, would this work in the themed area?"
This is the best idea regarding Inside Out in Imagination that I’ve heard. Unfortunately, we’ll probably get a reskin of the current plot, with Bing Bong taking on Figment’s role, and the 5 emotions replacing the 5 senses.

PorterRedkey

Emotions and the 5 3 (in the current pavilion) main senses could make for a good ride somewhere, but I don't know what they have to do with Imagination.

As much as I love Dreamfinder and Figment, it's the IMAGINATION pavilion, not the Figment pavilion.

Brer Oswald

Also, which one are you? I’m listening now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom