Rumor Inside Out to Replace Journey into Imagination with Figment?

Inspired Figment

The thing that I really can’t wrap my head around. Is *why* wouldn’t Disney rather redo Cranium Command into an Inside Out attraction instead? They’ve literally referenced it and made the connection in D23 videos, and so has practically everyone else.
While yes, Inside Out *did* have Bing Bong and Imaginationland in Riley’s head. They *didnt* actually have a place in Riley’s current life, nor did they have the same purpose as Epcot’s Imagination pavilion . That part of the movie was supposed to represent Riley *growing out* of using her imagination. Mostly the childhood phase of believing in imaginary friends and childish things. Which is the *exact opposite* of what the original Journey Into Imagination with Dreamfinder & Figment represented.
What was wonderful about the original Imagination attraction was that it represented how *creativity* worked and what using those skills could lead to. It took us through all the best creative mediums/fields; (Art, Literature, Performing Arts, Science, and Film), where we could really apply our creativity to it’s highest potential in our lives.
Inside Out, again, has *nothing* to do with that message. Inside Out’s entire message was about handling our emotions as we age through life. A message that has a *much* better place in the Wonders of Life pavilion. So yeah.. those are my 2 cents on this matter. *If* anything, if they don’t end up putting in the old Cranium Command. I could tolerate it being put in the Magic Eye Theater. But *not* the ride portion.

Last edited:

Bocabear

The thing that I really can’t wrap my head around. Is *why* wouldn’t Disney rather redo Cranium Command into an Inside Out attraction instead? They’ve literally referenced it and made the connection in D23 videos, and so has practically everyone else.
While yes, Inside Out *did* have Bing Bong and Imaginationland in Riley’s head. They *didnt* have actually have a place in Riley’s current life, nor did they have the same purpose that epcot’s Imagination pavilion had . That part of the movie was supposed to represent Riley *growing out* of using her imagination. Mostly the childhood phase of believing in imaginary friends and juvenile things. Which is the *exact opposite* of what the original Journey Into Imagination with Dreamfinder & Figment represented.
What was wonderful about the original Imagination attraction was that it represented how *creativity* worked and what using those skills could lead to. It took us through all the best creative mediums/fields; (Art, Literature, Performing Arts, Science, and Technology), where we could really apply our creativity to it’s highest potential.
Inside Out, again, has *nothing* to do with that message. Inside Out’s entire message was about handling our emotions as we age through life. A message that has a *much* better place in the Wonders of Life pavilion. So yeah.. those are my 2 cents on this matter. *If* anything, if they don’t end up putting in the old Cranium Command. I could tolerate it being put in the Magic Eye Theater. But *not* the ride portion.
I agree 1000%...Unless they have some secret plan for the WOL Pavilion, it makes no sense to shoehorn Inside Out into the Imagination Pavilion... What woulkd have been really clever was for them to have made inside out and used Figment in the Bing Bong role... But you cant rewrite history... I suspect they already have a plan for the WOL building that is more attached to the Marvel/Action films franchises...

Inspired Figment

And I should also probably mention that the main reason why the ‘02-current Journey Into Imagination With Figment is such a huge failure is the fact that, not only is it a Huge downgrade compared to the original in terms of execution, scenery, etc. But the *biggest* reason why is because it’s not even a “Journey Into Imagination with Figment” ride at all. It’s an *extremely* outdated and out-of-place “Honey, I Shrunk the Audience”-IP based ride. A tour of that institute we were shrunken down in, hosted by Dr. Nigel Channing from that same 3D show, with Figment shoehorned in as a last-minute thought. Add the fact that the current concept is representing the exact opposite of what Imagination (creativity) should be (not even kidding, google the definition of imagination), it’s instead showcasing Perception (the way your mind processes things with your senses). And then to make matters worse, the story is written only in a way that fans or guests familiar with the past 2 versions understand. That Figment is back for revenge against Dr. Channing for screwing up the ride during the last renovation. Any guest who isn’t familiar is completely lost in regards to the storyline or what the point of this whole ride is. But yeah, *that* is why the current ride is a failure.

It still boggles my mind how long we’ve had this bad, glorified “Honey, I Shrunk the Audience”-based Institute tour ride. *How* Disney hasn’t figured out what the problem is with this ride is beyond me, but all I can hope is that *some folks* in the company know exactly what the problem is and fix it.
I can certainly tell you one thing though. That basically going and repeating the exact same mistake (aka: making a badly executed IP ride with Figment shoehorned in as an afterthought with a story only guests familiar with past versions of the attraction will get) is *not* going to fix anything.

trainplane3

I have indeed had the pleasure, and met Ron back in 2007 the day after the Epcot 25th Anniversary get together.
Totally by chance, but it was quite a treat to spend a few hours at the MK with him some years ago.
We had a fun afternoon with a few Disney friends of his.

I've also had some long distance interactions, as Ron has complimented me on some of my Tony & Figment artwork that I have shared here and via social media.
:)

Regarding Tony, yes I am certain he would love to be a part of bringing some of the creative magic back to the Imagination Pavillion.
If only they would let him..!!
:cry:

The Fab Four -
Tony, Ron, our lil' purple pal, and Richard Sherman

View attachment 345226
-
That...shouldn't surprise me you did! I got to hang out with him for about a half hour, 1 on 1, on my last trip down and it was great. Some of the stories he told were fun. Part of the reason was to get a copy of his book and to have him sign it. By far the best "meet and greet" I've had.

Figments Friend

That...shouldn't surprise me you did! I got to hang out with him for about a half hour, 1 on 1, on my last trip down and it was great. Some of the stories he told were fun. Part of the reason was to get a copy of his book and to have him sign it. By far the best "meet and greet" I've had.

Fantastic.
Very glad to hear you had some time with him!
:)

I've been meaning to get a copy of Ron's book, but alas, it has yet to have happened.

-

Last edited:

Haymarket2008

I’m sorry but the integration of Inside Out and Figment doesn’t make sense to me. We all know that, should an Inside Out attraction come to fruition, they will use Bing Bong over Figment. And the “cross-promotion” would be a disservice to both properties. For me, it’s all Figment or nothing. It would be baffling to have them headline the same attraction when there is another optimistic pink/purple creature IN the actual film.

Haymarket2008

My ideal scenario if Inside Out MUST be in Epcot: Journey revamp with the return of Dreamfinder taking over the dark ride space. Inside Out taking over ImageWorks and having a fleshed out Emotion Garden, like what they did during Flower & Garden. They can exist in the same pavilion (kinda) but not in the same story/attraction.

WDWYankee15

Merch does not make as much of a sway as fans would like to the decision makers when it comes to the hope of refreshing the Imagination Pavilion.
A lot of fans seem to have this idea that if they buy a lot of Figment merch it will 'send the message to Disney' that they want a restored Pavillion with a imaginative Attraction again.
This is particularly true with 'retro' merch that features Dreamfinder or 'nostalgic' elements from the Original ride.

In reality, it only sends the message that Figment and 'retro' JII merchandise sells and alerts Marketing to just create more of it for sales.
It has very little impact otherwise.

The recent exception however was the release of the Marvel 'Figment' comic book series a few years ago.
THIS did create awareness within the halls of Burbank and some executives took notice of it's success.
It was hoped at the time that this would help drive a re-do of the Attraction, but alas, nothing has come of it to date.

The problem is, as i've covered here and elsewhere before, is that most of the execs at Disney that have the power to make such changes are too young to have known the Original.
Many never experienced it at EPCOT Center back in the day, so they don't have the emotional connection to the memory of it.
They are also for the most part California based, so there is a difference of awareness when one is based on the West Coast.
So they honestly have NO IDEA of the scope and how much this Attraction effected and meant to people back in the day, and STILL does today.
They were clueless, until the 'Figment' comic series came out and it was so successful.
Surprisingly successful in their eyes, so much so it made many sit up and take a deeper look.
Marvel's biggest selling non-super hero series EVER.
That got their attention.

Now, some are more aware of it...but there is still opposition within the Company to invest any serious resources into it at present.

I hope one day it happens...and there is a return to a truly imaginative experience with these characters Dreamfinder and Figment.
NO stupid 'Pixar' crap...or other 'contemporary' IP. It is NOT NEEDED in this case.
We already had a brilliant concept that should be and CAN be built upon, not destroyed.

It has to happen at some point...long overdue.
Here's to hoping.

-
Essentially they need to make a movie with Figment and it has to do well for any hopes of it staying long term. That is a pipe dream or “a figment of imagination!” 🤣

Reality is, this is a sitting duck until they decide what (IP) to repurpose the space with.

Merch will still exist after the attraction is gone. Want proof, look at the new line of shirts celebrating closed attractions (ex Great Movie Ride). They can still sell to the nostalgia lover, open attraction or not. In fact, they probably sell more when it’s gone. It’s like when an artist dies, the art becomes more valuable because it’s the only thing you can hold on to.

Last edited:

ᗩLᘿᑕ ✨ ᗩζᗩᗰ

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
Essentially they need to make a movie with Figment and it has to do well for any hopes if it staying long term. That is a pipe dream or “a figment of imagination!” 🤣

Reality is this is a sitting duck until they decide to repurpose the space with.

Merch will still exist after the attraction is gone. Want proof, look at the new lone of shirts celebrating closed attractions (ex Great Movie Ride). They can still sell to the nostalgia lover attraction or not. In fact they probably sell more when it’s gone. It’s like when an artist dies, the art becomes more valuable because it’s the only thing you can hold on to.

Establish some shows on Disney+, Junior or on a Marvel programming block on Disney or Disney XD. They could use these outlets as a platform to reintroduce the characters or to attract new audiences unfamilar with the duo. Nostalgia is good and all but Disney needs to consider using the characters more prominently in the media... Get their faces out there to ensure Figment and Dreamfinder have staying power- for continued attraction use. If successful, give them an attraction worthy of the original! Figment is the perfect character for Disney Junior integration. And a Marvel Comics animated series would likely do very well!

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Essentially they need to make a movie with Figment and it has to do well for any hopes if it staying long term. That is a pipe dream or “a figment of imagination!” 🤣

I've mentioned this before elsewhere, but the success of the 'Figment' comic book series did ressurect the idea of making a live action fantasy film based on the story.
It's something that has been talked about in the past, and I know a few people within the Company who would love to see it happen.
It would be a great way to spread the story and a asset for those still trying to get those imaginative characters back 'home'.

A few years ago when the comic series was in print and being very successful, big budget fantasy films were the hottest ticket at the movies.
It would have been the perfect time to invest in a film based on the story.
It had everything...and today's visual effects could convincingly pull off the needed story elements.

Today however, I don't think the Studio would be interested in investing heavily in something of this nature...but you never know.
They have had a couple of expensive busts ( 'Nutcracker', etc. ) and are playing it even safer now ( 'Dumbo' live action, 'Lion King' live action, etc. )
I have doubts anyone with the funds would want to seriously invest in it at this point in time, but there is this -
Turning old Disney characters and previously told stories into hot new CGI family films is still the thing right now though with the Studio....so anything is indeed possible.

-

Last edited:

brb1006

I've mentioned this before elsewhere, but the success of the 'Figment' comic book series did ressurect the idea of making a live action fantasy film based on the story.
It's something that has been talked about in the past, and I know a few people within the Company who would love to see it happen.
It would be a great way to spread the story and a asset for those still trying to get those imaginative characters back 'home'.

A few years ago when the comic series was in print and being very successful, big budget fantasy films were the hottest ticket at the movies.
It would have been the perfect time to invest in a film based on the story.
It had everything...and today's visual effects could convincingly pull off the needed story elements.

Today however, I don't think the Studio would be interested in investing heavily in something of this nature...but you never know.
They have had a couple of expensive busts ( 'Nutcracker', etc. ) and are playing it even safer now ( 'Dumbo' live action, 'Lion King' live action, etc. )
I have doubts anyone with the funds would want to seriously invest in it at this point in time, but there is this -
Turning old Disney characters and previously told stories into hot new CGI family films is still the thing right now though with the Studio....so anything is indeed possible.

-
An animated film based on the Figment comics and keeping the charm of the original attraction needs to become a reality someday. The comics has so much beautiful visuals and art design that I could make a one or two paragraph on why the Figment comics are so great.

My favorite illustrations from the Figment comics would have to be these two images.

Figment_1_Preview_3.jpg

This panel shows a flashback of a Young Dreamfinder (I forgot what his name was before he was named "Dreamfinder") drawing a sketch of a Figment on a chalkboard and Dreamfinder first creating Figment.

CnK57KWWEAAamEo.jpg

This pictures is taken from one of the last stories of the Figment comics where Dreamfinder, Figment and the other human characters are shown with their own Figments of imagination.

My favorite new character from the comic is a cat creature named "Spark". It's been a while since I read one of the stories but I think she's Dreamfinder's granddaughter who created Spark.
figment_2_5.jpg

You would think Disney would turn the entire Figment comics and make them into an animated film. Heck this could be Disney's first animated film based on a Disney attraction. But Disney is currently focusing on doing live-action remakes and some live-action movies that might bomb that aren't a remake (A Wrinkle In Time and Through The Looking Glass).

NateD1226

I wouldn't make a whole movie about him to release in theaters. I think it would be better for Disney +. But I do agree Disney needs to make something to boost his popularity back to where it was.

Figments Friend

As pleased as I was to see the 'Figment' comic book series released and become a big hit, I personally wasn't overly thrilled with some elements of the short story.
I also felt that the interior artwork left much to be desired.
It was slightly disappointing to me.
Too 'Japanimation / Animi' styled for my taste, and for the characters in my opinion.

I would have preferred the more detailed, fleshed out art design that was present in the 'Big Thunder Mountain Railroad' series.
LOVED that one.
The story, artwork, pacing, mystery, everything.
The 'Figment' series could have been a bit better in those departments.
Your milage may vary.

-

FigmentJedi

Why do all of those figments look like Captain EO rejects
Figment 2 is basically a story exploring "Are Figment and Dreamfinder even relevant in the modern age?" mixed with a crapload of Captain EO elements.

Dreamfinder manages to find himself in both the Supreme Leader role when his anxiety and doubt manifests itself into a shadowy monster that takes control of his body, and the EO role once he is freed by Figment and his grandniece and gets those dank Magic Hands powers, frees the Academy from the mental grip of the Doubt monster and lets everybody create a little imaginary buddy that defeats the Doubt's darkness.

We also have a industrial nightmarescape right out of the Supreme Leader's planet when Figment and Capri work on freeing Dreamfinder, Capri's imaginary buddy Spark is basically just "Fuzzball with an obnoxious rhyming habit", and the last page of the book is the Dream Machine flying into the sunrise like EO's ship as Figment and Dreamfinder go out on another adventure to presumably send out only love, having left the Academy a bright and happy place running on whimsy.

Rk2k5

I’m sorry but the integration of Inside Out and Figment doesn’t make sense to me. We all know that, should an Inside Out attraction come to fruition, they will use Bing Bong over Figment. And the “cross-promotion” would be a disservice to both properties. For me, it’s all Figment or nothing. It would be baffling to have them headline the same attraction when there is another optimistic pink/purple creature IN the actual film.
I agree I hope they make a ride for inside out but the add a show with figment and the dreamfinder where the short film festival is or even better not make a inside out attraction but make a better version of journey into imagination but with the dreamfinder included in the ride

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom