Rumor Inside Out to Replace Journey into Imagination with Figment?

geekza

I am a recovering EPCOT Center fan, so to my wife's dismay, I come out of the Imagination bathroom in total relapse mode, buzzing with excitement and chatting it up about how cool Magic Journeys was at the time. My wife thinks I had too many beers.
Magic Journeys WAS cool! 1983 saw 3D films make a big resurgence. It didn't last long, but I sure remember it. Magic Journeys had some of the best 3D I've seen. Because it was shot on 65mm film, it had clarity like nothing we see today.

geekza

To add to today’s excitement, *this* was just uploaded today on YouTube. A look at the original Journey into Imagination in it’s last month of operation. Pretty fantastic quality actually 🙂 Just a shame they had to go close and ruin it shortly afterwards 😭 :

The uploader really needs to go back and deinterlace the video properly. The horizontal wiggling throughout the video is caused by incorrectly selecting which line came first in the original interlaced analog video. If they were to go back and fix that, it would probably be the clearest amateur video of the attraction I've seen.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I am a recovering EPCOT Center fan, so to my wife's dismay, I come out of the Imagination bathroom in total relapse mode, buzzing with excitement and chatting it up about how cool Magic Journeys was at the time. My wife thinks I had too many beers.
Magic Journeys WAS cool! 1983 saw 3D films make a big resurgence. It didn't last long, but I sure remember it. Magic Journeys had some of the best 3D I've seen. Because it was shot on 65mm film, it had clarity like nothing we see today.
Don't forget the amazing music that used synthesizers.
If I may again, including Magic Journeys in 2D and in full:

Last edited:

brb1006

If I may again, including Magic Journeys in full:

Martin I have a confession to make about this video after rewatching it.

I actually started to tear up a bit while watching the ride from your video. But I totally lost it and bursted into tears at 49:47 - 50:18 when I seen how much fun the children and adults were having by running and stepping on the stepping stones that made noises and music.

Not to sound like an old fart (Heck I'm still young), but kids nowadays are seen on their phones or playing app games while waiting in ride queues and other locations. But seeing a glimpse of kids having so much fun during that moment really shows you how special the original attraction is along with the post-show upstairs. Especially since there's very few video footage of Imageworks with video quality this clear. :cry: Moments like this wish you were part of the creative team at WDW.

Can you please make a video showing that special moment.:)

Today's Imageworks (I call it "Barney's Playground") holds nothing to the old Imageworks. Just look at this video, it's so quite. The only good thing is that you hear parts of the original ride music but that's about it.

The original Imageworks worked because it was set in the dark and made some of the colors pop out. The modern version makes it look like it's geared towards toddlers and young children scarring some adults and parents away from it.

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

Why couldn’t Figment and Dreamfinder be the new hosts of Spaceship Earth? It could still be about communications but freshened up and some appropriate humor added.
But then the purpose of those characters is lost. Thet’re supposed to represent the spirit of imagination and creativity.... not civilization and communication.

Last edited:

rocketraccoon

Oh yeah, btw, even though this is slightly off-topic. The “Reading Magic with Figment & Peter Pan” educational film was finally found! So it looks like we’ve only got “Writing Magic with Figment and Alice in Wonderland” to find left. 😃:

Oh hey, that's my video! I still need to clean up the Alice in Wonderland one since my VCR's tracking didn't want to cooperate.

kGWk5sj.jpg

Should be up by Sunday.

Inspired Figment

Btw.. in regards to the attraction... This is just my personal opinion and idea. But I personally think there are 2 definitive ways to do a comeback right
My first idea would be the revert the attraction back to the original ride with the original scenes and remastered soundtrack. (And no, I don’t mean the *exact* attraction as it was in the 80s, problematic turntable, old technology and all). I want that original attraction brought back from the ground up but slightly reimagined (ala Disneyland’s Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln or Shanghai’s Peter Pan’s Flight for instance)... with completely upgraded technology. I’m talking brand new animatronics that move a lot more fluidly and look identical to the character artwork. (Perhaps we can actually see Figment blink for once then lol!). All the projections and films upgraded and restored, the scenery and visual effects enhanced. The science scene can be completely updated, and the big finale scene can have the traditionally animated Figments as originally intended as opposed to the somewhat old, creepy puppets from before.

In regards to ImageWorks.. find a way to make it properly accessible to handicapped guests along with a proper fire escape (as this was an issue with it before). And I say, completely reimagine the ImageWorks with brand new activities. Keep some of the old ones like the rainbow corridor and stepping tones, but the rest, go and reimagine the entire thing.

For Magic Eye (If it’s indeed kept). They should either create a film based off the origin story comics *or* do a new adventure starring Dreamfinder and Figment... anything’s possible. But in reality, it’ll probably be an Inside Out 3D film.. but that’s what i’d personally do. Lol

Swoosh32

But then the purpose of those characters is lost. Thet’re supposed to represent the spirit of imagination and creativity.... not civilization and communication.

Yes because imagination and creativity DEFINITELY did not go into advancing communication.

Also, your argument is that their purposes would be lost... um, they already are. JS

DanielBB8

I don't think it's an E ticket (though any opinion on that would be just that, given that ticketed rides no longer exist) simply because, like @voodoo321 said, it's just a shuttle from video screen to video screen with a few oversized props. That's not really sophisticated. The only thing that is really high-tech is the trackless ride system, but Universe of Energy had an early version of that in 1983 and MK has had that in Pooh for years (I was mistaken. See below.). Will it be successful? Of course. People love Ratatouille and it swallows a lot of people at once, making it something that, in theory, shouldn't have crazy waits. It will be fine. It's not a classic for the ages, but won't be a load of mouse poo, either. Definite C-ticket, in my opinion.
It’s 4 cars at a time moving in sync in front of a 3D screen while the action is already playing. In many cases, splitting up in separate segments and joining together in the end. It’s advance technology.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom