Rumor Inside Out to Replace Journey into Imagination with Figment?

MrWarners14

Btw.. in regards to the attraction... This is just my personal opinion and idea. But I personally think there are 2 definitive ways to do a comeback right
My first idea would be the revert the attraction back to the original ride with the original scenes and remastered soundtrack. (And no, I don’t mean the *exact* attraction as it was in the 80s, problematic turntable, old technology and all). I want that original attraction brought back from the ground up but slightly reimagined (ala Disneyland’s Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln or Shanghai’s Peter Pan’s Flight for instance)... with completely upgraded technology. I’m talking brand new animatronics that move a lot more fluidly and look identical to the character artwork. (Perhaps we can actually see Figment blink for once then lol!). All the projections and films upgraded and restored, the scenery and visual effects enhanced. The science scene can be completely updated, and the big finale scene can have the traditionally animated Figments as originally intended as opposed to the somewhat old, creepy puppets from before.

In regards to ImageWorks.. find a way to make it properly accessible to handicapped guests along with a proper fire escape (as this was an issue with it before). And I say, completely reimagine the ImageWorks with brand new activities. Keep some of the old ones like the rainbow corridor and stepping tones, but the rest, go and reimagine the entire thing.

For Magic Eye (If it’s indeed kept). They should either create a film based off the origin story comics *or* do a new adventure starring Dreamfinder and Figment... anything’s possible. But in reality, it’ll probably be an Inside Out 3D film.. but that’s what i’d personally do. Lol
That sounds really cool. Fixing issues and improving upon the original while still providing a fresh take on it. You should be an Imagineer. ;-)

geekza

@CaliforniaFigmentFan Somewhere in a brighter timeline, that is happening. I expect we'll get a screen-based 3D attraction featuring the new, realistically-animated Lion King characters called "Simba: Escape from the Hyenas! (feat. a hidden Figment for three seconds)"

I kid. Hopefully.

geekza

Not to sound like an old fart (Heck I'm still young), but kids nowadays are seen on their phones or playing app games while waiting in ride queues and other locations. But seeing a glimpse of kids having so much fun during that moment really shows you how special the original attraction is along with the post-show upstairs.
Old fart present and accounted for.

I have a snapshot of me taken on my first visit to EPCOT Center in the summer of 1984 up in the old Image Works taking part in the activity where they superimposed you into a video acting like a maniac. The one I did was a Western. It's commonplace today, with Twitch streamers using greenscreen on a regular basis on their home computers, but back then, it was really special. The Rainbow Tunnel and musical spots on the floor that you talked about were also favorites. It really was "The Playground of the Future" (or seemed like it) back then. It would be great if they could yank out the DVC lounge (what a waste of space) and rebuild the Image Works with modern state-of-the-art tech-based activities, but it will never happen. Too expensive to stay ahead of the curve, I guess. That was what kind of killed Future World. To those of us lucky enough to have experienced EPCOT Center during the time before it was left to founder, it really was unlike anything else in the world. It was a wonderful dream and, for a while, pulled off everything it was created to do. Sadly, I guess it never made enough money to make it worth consistently updating over the years to keep it relevant. The powers-that-be whose corporate culture is now firmly entrenched in the company are simply focused on maximizing profit and utilizing what they consider to simply be real estate, as opposed to following a vision. It is what it is, I guess.

I have a feeling that this may be my last trip to Epcot, so I'm going to rekindle what memories I can from the very small amount of Future World that remains close to what I first experienced when I was 12. It was a good place and a magical place and I hope that, if nothing else, those folks who will only experience the new Epcot can enjoy their own version of the magic. Thanks to folks like @marni1971 and others, we have extensive records of what once was. That makes me very happy.

ThatMouse

To put it in perspective, painting with Figment on the CRT computer touch screen in the 80's is part of the reason I'm a software developer today. The rest came from Communicore. My parents would leave me alone for an hour as I would run around and forget which side was which. These were basically corporate demos of what would become mainstream features that we now use everyday on our cell phones.

Instead of buying home gaming consoles off the shelf and setting them up along the walls, they hired actual engineers and programmers to create new things not found anywhere else. I don't understand how a special meet & greet area is even necessary. You can set these up literally anywhere.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

I have a snapshot of me taken on my first visit to EPCOT Center in the summer of 1984 up in the old Image Works taking part in the activity where they superimposed you into a video acting like a maniac. The one I did was a Western. It's commonplace today, with Twitch streamers using greenscreen on a regular basis on their home computers, but back then, it was really special. The Rainbow Tunnel and musical spots on the floor that you talked about were also favorites. It really was "The Playground of the Future" (or seemed like it) back then. It would be great if they could yank out the DVC lounge (what a waste of space) and rebuild the Image Works with modern state-of-the-art tech-based activities, but it will never happen. Too expensive to stay ahead of the curve, I guess. That was what kind of killed Future World. To those of us lucky enough to have experienced EPCOT Center during the time before it was left to founder, it really was unlike anything else in the world. It was a wonderful dream and, for a while, pulled off everything it was created to do. Sadly, I guess it never made enough money to make it worth consistently updating over the years to keep it relevant. The powers-that-be whose corporate culture is now firmly entrenched in the company are simply focused on maximizing profit and utilizing what they consider to simply be real estate, as opposed to following a vision. It is what it is, I guess.

I have a feeling that this may be my last trip to Epcot, so I'm going to rekindle what memories I can from the very small amount of Future World that remains close to what I first experienced when I was 12. It was a good place and a magical place and I hope that, if nothing else, those folks who will only experience the new Epcot can enjoy their own version of the magic. Thanks to folks like @marni1971 and others, we have extensive records of what once was. That makes me very happy.
Beautifully written.

brb1006

k2rpr38vhfa01.gif

Rich Brownn

Whats interesting is with a few exceptions, most of the attractions dealt with only glimpses of the future. The usual pattern was: Explore the past, talk about the present, imagine the future. That was true of Energy, World of Motion, the Land and Seas. Horizons was the exception with large AA scenes of the future. The others either showed the future in models or post shows (Motion) or films (Seas, Energy).

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Sadly, I guess it never made enough money to make it worth consistently updating over the years to keep it relevant. The powers-that-be whose corporate culture is now firmly entrenched in the company are simply focused on maximizing profit and utilizing what they consider to simply be real estate, as opposed to following a vision. It is what it is, I guess.

UGHHHH the truth hurts!!!!
tenor.gif

V_L_Raptor

Whats interesting is with a few exceptions, most of the attractions dealt with only glimpses of the future. The usual pattern was: Explore the past, talk about the present, imagine the future. That was true of Energy, World of Motion, the Land and Seas. Horizons was the exception with large AA scenes of the future. The others either showed the future in models or post shows (Motion) or films (Seas, Energy).

That's what made the pavilions more than the sums of their parts. (That's also what's a little irksome about single-topic-only proposals for FW pavilions... Very narrow, and don't really lend themselves to the broad kinds of freewheeling that made the originals so much fun and elegantly eye-opening.)

That kind of thinking doesn't get greenlit or bankrolled anymore.

aladdin2007

That's what made the pavilions more than the sums of their parts. (That's also what's a little irksome about single-topic-only proposals for FW pavilions... Very narrow, and don't really lend themselves to the broad kinds of freewheeling that made the originals so much fun and elegantly eye-opening.)

That kind of thinking doesn't get greenlit or bankrolled anymore.

this,,,they are gutted down to half the size they once were or actually have, have to design for fast pass now, and always seems more hollow both in scope and content and or operate in half baked mode.

FigmentJedi

Horizons followed the pattern: Explored the past history of the future, talked about new developments in the present, and then did its deep dive into the future.

RSoxNo1

It doesn’t make sense as an argument that Inside Out cannot replace Imagination. The argument is moot. Imagination is a zombie attraction. It exists as mere filler and no one likes it. It’s about as dead as an actual dead attraction like Cranium Command.
Hyperbole much?

giphy.gif
Well it's amongst the worst attractions at Disney World so, no. Not hyperbole.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Are we back to the Figment in Tomorrowland rumors?

Those discussions were interesting. I kinda liked the idea. But I don't think the rumor mentioned a full on ride. The only rumor that I remember was that Dreamfinder and Figment characters could be meeting or roaming Tomorrowland, but that idea fizzled out along with the rumored rename to Discoveryland. Not sure where the original rumor started but putting Figment and Dreamfinder as a ride or attraction between Tomorrowland and Fantasyland wouldn't be a bad thing I guess. (maybe in the Stitch building?)

Ideally though, seeing EPCOT CENTER flourish again under a re-imagined Imagination! would trump all other proposals.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom