Rumor Inside Out to Replace Journey into Imagination with Figment?

MrWarners14

For what it’s worth I’ve only ever known Figment from the current attraction and have always loved him!

I would recommend getting them mainly in hardcover form for both miniseries collections. The gift shop at the Imagination pavillion I believe sells individual copies of both miniseries' issues. Maybe pick up issues in order and see how you like it. I read them online and bought the hardcover collections to support the writers. I think you might like them.

EPCOTCenterLover

Journey+04+Ride+Layout.jpg

Journey+33+with+Figment+2.jpg
The new version is just a waste of great characters, impressive vehicle movement and heartfelt storytelling! They should just bring back the original!

MrWarners14

If they used the entire track, could it be used as a roller coaster?

I'd imagine Disney Imagineers want to do something cool and nice with the dated pavilion but Iger keeps delaying the inevitable. The place looks run down (especially the exterior) and the current ImageWorks is horribly outdated tech-wise. Stuff is still running on Windows 98 for Goofy's sake! Less said about the current ride, the quicker that dead horse can stop being kicked over again...

I hope next D23 we can get a new Future World reboot announcement (involving Imagination) because in it's current state, the whole section's a disjointed mess.

HauntedMansionFLA

I'd imagine Disney Imagineers want to do something cool and nice with the dated pavilion but Iger keeps delaying the inevitable. The place looks run down (especially the exterior) and the current ImageWorks is horribly outdated tech-wise. Stuff is still running on Windows 98 for Goofy's sake! Less said about the current ride, the quicker that dead horse can stop being kicked over again...

I hope next D23 we can get a new Future World reboot announcement (involving Imagination) because in it's current state, the whole section's a disjointed mess.
You think a figment movie in the theatre and reboot the ride would be nice. And yes, the outside looks run down.

PorterRedkey

Closest decent version I've seen was an amateur video inside the pavilion....

Plus Figment wasn't the only attraction that had an educational film.....Orange Bird even had one!

Another good youtube channel is HBVideos who has a good 50 or so Disney Eduacational films.
It includes one I remember seeing in elemetary school where Goofy goes to MCO To learn about Planes...

Thanks for sharing! It looks like I will be spending my time at HBVideo and widenyourworld this weekend. :geek:

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If they used the entire track, could it be used as a roller coaster?
It’s really too short and lacks lift space.

Originally the 1983 version was meant to have several "coaster style" descending sections where cars would pick up speed before slowing again but the ride control system would never work properly and so speed changes was restricted to load and unload.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I'm never a fan of lifting tech used at nearby competition, but I feel like if they wanted to redo the attraction but keep some of the feel of the original attraction, using the Escape from Gringots hardware would work really well...

WDWTank

I agree. However, he should still have a new and more likeable ride without the imagination institute plastered all over it. I believe there was an interview from Defunctland with Ron Schnider in it (the original Dreamfinder) and he also came up with a cool new take on the ride.

It would be where the guests wouldn't just go on a amazing journey into the imagination but would allow guest to become their own dreamfinders and create amazing things. It would would be in the spirit of the original but with a modern take on the idea. I love it. What do you guys think?
THAT’S AWESOME!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Thelazer

It’s really too short and lacks lift space.

Originally the 1983 version was meant to have several "coaster style" descending sections where cars would pick up speed before slowing again but the ride control system would never work properly and so speed changes was restricted to load and unload.

There was also as I recall, once an attempt at a moving belt for load / unload, that caused more problems that it solved and was quickly turned off and covered over.

I recall something about the ride track having a set of fog machines thru the ride, to create the effect that the cars were "riding on clouds" but that also was nixed just after being turned on (don't know if it was removed or just turned off, but always wondered and wish I could find a photo of said effect.)

I never heard any plans that called for a reason to shorten the ride track (for the current version) due to ADA compliance on the 2nd floor. I did hear some some things on the original version of the ride was planned to take you "UP" to the 2nd floor (Alia, world of motion) but that never got farther than concept art work.

I've heard plenty of reasons as to why the 2nd floor was no longer used after the referb due to ADA compliance
(yet, oddly now we have a pass-holder lounge up there, so... what does that tell you about the ADA thing.. hmmm)

Still pains me to this day.. I'm old enough now, to have a kid.. and he will never get to see the wonders I saw at his age, for the first time at Epcot on that ride.

crxbrett

There was also as I recall, once an attempt at a moving belt for load / unload, that caused more problems that it solved and was quickly turned off and covered over.

I recall something about the ride track having a set of fog machines thru the ride, to create the effect that the cars were "riding on clouds" but that also was nixed just after being turned on (don't know if it was removed or just turned off, but always wondered and wish I could find a photo of said effect.)

I never heard any plans that called for a reason to shorten the ride track (for the current version) due to ADA compliance on the 2nd floor. I did hear some some things on the original version of the ride was planned to take you "UP" to the 2nd floor (Alia, world of motion) but that never got farther than concept art work.

I've heard plenty of reasons as to why the 2nd floor was no longer used after the referb due to ADA compliance
(yet, oddly now we have a pass-holder lounge up there, so... what does that tell you about the ADA thing.. hmmm)

Still pains me to this day.. I'm old enough now, to have a kid.. and he will never get to see the wonders I saw at his age, for the first time at Epcot on that ride.

My girlfriend went to DW for the first time ever with me last summer. She loves it. When I show her old Epcot and all the wonderful tribute videos Martin has made to her, it makes her sad that she missed all of it. I know she would have loved it. It broke her that we missed UoE and GMR by a week last year, too.

She fell in love with Figment when we went and I can only wonder how much more she would have loved to have seen the original. I guess she doesn't fully realize how much the current one is a mere shell of it's former self.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
My girlfriend went to DW for the first time ever with me last summer. She loves it. When I show her old Epcot and all the wonderful tribute videos Martin has made to her, it makes her sad that she missed all of it. I know she would have loved it. It broke her that we missed UoE and GMR by a week last year, too.

She fell in love with Figment when we went and I can only wonder how much more she would have loved to have seen the original. I guess she doesn't fully realize how much the current one is a mere shell of it's former self.
That's the thing. The current ride isn't bad. It isn't great. But it's a good Disney ride. Figment isn't as great a character as he once was. But he's still a good character.

I fully believe that much of the hate for that ride comes from the comparison of the triumph that was the original. Without that context, it's not that bad.

Rich Brownn

Originally the cars were to move continually through load and unload (hence why unload had a belt). But the cars would never synch properly with the turntable .. the result was forcing the cars to synch with the turntable which made the cars stop and start in fits at unload, load and the pre-turntable sequence.

crxbrett

That's the thing. The current ride isn't bad. It isn't great. But it's a good Disney ride. Figment isn't as great a character as he once was. But he's still a good character.

I fully believe that much of the hate for that ride comes from the comparison of the triumph that was the original. Without that context, it's not that bad.

i agree. It's hard for those of us who when on it before the change to see it that way sometimes, myself included. But for those that only know of the current version, it probably doesn't seem bad at all like you pointed out. I admit, the attraction still is a fun, charming and happy experience. Figment is extremely likeable and hard not to love, original or new.

I think for me and many others, it is just frustrating knowing what used to be and the fact that it was changed for no real good reason. I think that's the part that stings most for me.

MrWarners14

I get what you mean but at the same time, I have a hard time agreeing with Journey 3.0 being a good ride. It was redesigned on a cheap budget that Kodak wouldn't bother expanding due to their own troubles and whatnot. It still has remnents of Journey Into Your Imagination which only reinforces the lazy refurb. The ride came out in 2002 and that would explain the dated CGI. If there was a refurb now, the pavilion would look WAY better.

Plus, the fact is the current ride has been around for nearly 20 years. When a ride that was meant to be a placeholder lasts for that long, there is a serious problem. Eisner didn't want to fund Project Genini that would have been a massive improvement for EPCOT and Future World because it was too expensive to him and he didn't think it was a worthy investment. In hindsight, it really would have been worth pursuing.

Honey, I Shrunk The Audience doesn't even exist anymore so it's truly bizarre how a spin-off (that being Journey 3.0) based on a long-gone franchise (The 'Honey, I ________' series) has effectively outlived it's original 4D experience. Figment is a part of a beloved but bygone era of Disney World that sadly keeps being shoved in the mud by the people who created him. Both in-universe and out, he's stuck in a horrifying purgatory that forces him to being part of a facility that hates him and thus is trying so hard to get out and be free (hence the intro with the suitcase). He's trying to escape and healthily express himself but can't because Nigel Channing is effectively taking him hostage away from Dreamfinder.

Feeling alone for nearly 20 years would change anyone. I feel so sorry for Figment. He's become such a jerk because of how badly he's been treated. I say bring back Dreamfinder and make the ride better. Oh yeah and make Figment likable in return.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom